FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Snarky" is in the dictionary (Sort of)

Author Topic: "Snarky" is in the dictionary (Sort of)
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
So I had visions of Hatrack spreading the snarkiness meme to the world.

Guess it is already out there. http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=snarky
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snarky

AJ

[ July 27, 2004, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
No "sort of" about it.

But "squicked out" is not . . .

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
It will be soon - I've already used it once or twice in conversation.

"I was completely squicked out". [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Just because it seems to fit the current direction...

Squicky

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder where they got that idea and if it's at all related to the Native American sun dance?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I'll go out on a limb and say yes - but it doesn't share the same religious connotations.

Americans have a knack for adapting cultural practices for our own uses without understanding or caring about any other implications.

Which, to be fair, isn't necessarily a bad thing.

-Trevor

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*WARNING*
there is some sexually explicit description as to the origin in later definitions, I had no clue to these origins.
Urban dictionary squick definitions:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=squick&f=1

[ July 27, 2004, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Ewww. I totally think they made that up.
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Another board I lurk on is being sampled for words to be added to the dictionary in the future. [Smile] It's a board for Buffy fans, and they are just as smart, witty, and, yes, snarky, as the show itself. They're definitely the kind of people I want influencing my dictionary.

As for the origin of "squick", the definition that AJ linked (well, I am assuming it's the one I know of) has been linked enough around fandom that if it isn't the actual origin, it's probably retroactively become so.

I read an actual squickfic once. It was like a car crash: I couldn't look away. I thought it was well done, given the subject matter.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The squicky definitions giving credit to the internet or the kinky crowd are pure unadulterated manure.

Squicky has been around as long as I can remember as a portmanteau/combination of squishy and icky to describe the feeling ya get in your stomach after ya realise that you've just accidentally stepped on a snail/slug barefoot, which worsens as ya try to scrub the remains off. Some folks get that feelin' after stepping barefoot on dog doo, or havin' to clean up barf.

So squicky describes the feeling ya get when ya know that your gonna hate the clean-up even more than the original gross-out.

There doesn't even hafta be either a clean-up or an original gross-out to produce the feeling. I know more than a few people who get squicked out at the thought of eating gumbo/okra.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly enough, though "snarky" has been added to the dictionary, "gullible" was removed.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice try, Sax. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No "sort of" about it.
I love the fact that they have someone speaking the word on the site you linked to. Something is just really amusing about my computer saying "snarky"

or maybe I'm just strange. [Smile]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, Trevor, hanging from hooks was recently seen on Sci-Fi's reality show Mad Mad House . "Alt" Art, who calls himself a "modern primitive" and seems to derive most of his practices from Native American ritual, suspended himself for a considerable time, partly to observe the guests' reactions. The way people pick things up from TV, I bet it came from there--though obviously some people were already doing it.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.