FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Define Irony:

Author Topic: Define Irony:
Chris Warrent
Member # 5549

- posted      Profile for Chris Warrent           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the dictionary's attempt:

i·ro·ny -

1. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.

2. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs:

Has anyone else ever hated the definition of irony? I feel it poorly describes what the word actualy means.

Notice: I'm another noob who can't spell...

my apologies

[ July 26, 2004, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Chris Warrent ]

Posts: 28 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you see the thread that was on irony? I know it was on the front page earlier today. If this was sparked by that, you might say so. But if you really are new, Welcome to Hatrack [Wave] [Hail] :spanks newbie to make sure he's breathing:
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Irony, a Jatraquero named Carrie in the Olympics thread explaining how their will not be a bloodbath.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
God is an iron.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite definition too, Stormy.
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.