FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Technical problem with CD-Drive

Author Topic: Technical problem with CD-Drive
Gosu
Member # 5783

- posted      Profile for Gosu   Email Gosu         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I have two CD-Drives on my computer, M and N. So today I turn on my computer and find out that:
1. M will open but will not work.
2. N will not open and will not work.
3. When I open My Computer, there is supposed to be 3 1/2 Floppy, C Drive, M Drive, N Drive, but neither M or N are there.

So after seeing this problem I immediately restart the computer, and now M works perfectly while N neither shows up or opens. So what's the problem and how do I solve it?

Edit: one of the computer help manuals (which is completely useless) said that there was no power going to the drive....and then it never said how to solve this problem.

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
No lights on the drive if you press the button? First thing to check is inside, make sure the connections on the back of the offending drive is firmly seated.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
did you recently install new hardware? Your power supply might not be enough to supply power to all your components. If you have not recently installed something...then maybe something has come unplugged somehow.

Though before you worry with that, you should make sure your drivers are all up to date (go to the website of who made your cd drives and download and install the new drivers)

If that does not work, open your computer (turn if off first) and make sure that everything is plugged into your power supply. Both your CD roms should have cables that run from them, to the power supply. Make sure none of those connections are loose. If everything is plugged in...and you have not recently installed anything new (which would demand more power) I would think that something is broken. You might test out the drives to see if they work in another computer...and test other drives to see if they work in yours.

It might come to the point where you have to take the computer in somewhere to get fixed.

[ July 23, 2004, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Lupus ]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gosu
Member # 5783

- posted      Profile for Gosu   Email Gosu         Edit/Delete Post 
TheTick, when you say 'check connections' you mean the connections on the back of the comp or the inside?

Lupus, I just recently installed DSL, so could that have anything to do with it? Here's another odd thing. In the beginning of the problem, there was a green light, but it still wouldn't open. Now there isn't any light and it won't open.

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
No, inside the computer on the back of the actual drive that no worky.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.