FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pickup Tailgait Up or Down

Author Topic: Pickup Tailgait Up or Down
rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
In one of the other threads Dag remarked that research had shown that there was more drag on a pickup with its tailgate down than when it was up. This seemed intuitively backwards to me; however it made sense that undisturbed air in the bed would create less pressure drag than a disturbed airflow. I thought that there would be some variation based on the how tall the cab was and how long the bed was. In my mind's eye if you had a long enough bed you would end up getting disturbed airflow regardless of the position of the tail gate.

I was close, but not quite.

quote:
TAILGATE UP OR DOWN?
If you're interested in maximum fuel economy from your pickup truck, and the bed is empty, should you run it with the tailgate down? Most people would probably answer yes, figuring there's less wind resistance that way. Well, there are researchers who wonder about this, too. And one of them used a wind tunnel and data on wind currents in North America to come up with a scientific answer. His name is Kevin Cooper of the National Research Council of Canada, and he reported his findings at the Congress. His results are:

Except for trucks with a full 8-ft. bed, the Cd (coefficient of drag) is lower with the tailgate up.
With the tailgate completely removed, the Cd under most conditions is higher, even on trucks with an 8-ft. bed.
Using wire mesh in place of a solid tailgate also increases the drag.
Using a cover over the bed reduces drag, but a partial cover (half the length of the bed) is somewhat better than a full cover. Actually, this confirms research done by General Motors, which patented the idea of a partial cover back in 1986 (the patent has since expired).
For what it's worth, the bottom line according to Cooper: You don't save a lot of gas, but if you want to drive a pickup and be environmentally conscious you can make a small contribution to the common good. On a pickup with an extended cab and a 6.5-ft. bed, you'd save 60 gals. of fuel over 100,000 miles if you leave the tailgate up instead of down, and 172 gals. if you leave it up instead of removing it. On a standard cab with an 8-ft. bed, you'd save as much as 207 gals. if you keep the tailgate up and use a bed cover, vs. the tailgate down with no cover.

http://popularmechanics.com/automotive/auto_technology/2004/3/04_sae_co ngress/print.phtml

kk

Edit: Grammar, spelling etc.

[ July 21, 2004, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: rubble ]

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for this! As a driver of a pickup in a very pickup-oriented area, this is always the subject of debate. Now I have a source to site.

I usually leave my tailgate up, however, if I have just hauled straw or something, I will often put it down on my next trip, in order to blow out all the little pieces of straw left in the bed...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what's unplesant? When someone volunteers their pickup for hauling your furniture when you move, and then, when they show up, announce that they hope that the bed isn't too dirty, since they had to shovel a load of manure out of it before they could come over.

Eew.

It did get them a free trip to the car wash though. [Smile]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

manure....

yep, I keep that handy in order to keep people from asking me to help them move......

[Big Grin]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I do like pickups.

HOWEVER.

What I don't like is unsecured crap in the bed that blows out of the truck on the highway and towards my car, causing me to swerve to miss it. o_O

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

men are just so much sexier in pickups......

*derailing thread*

FG

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, only if they're all dirty, IMO.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean a minivan won't cut it?
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, you know, theres something women like about a pickup man

[ July 21, 2004, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: Promethius ]

Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

*love that song too*

FG

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. AJ hinted in the other thread about the tailgate down somehow improving airflow. The difference between tailgate down and no tailgate backs that up.

Thanks for the link and the info. I hate not being able to post a link for something like that, but I was only using it as an example, so I wasn't as worried.

I have an Explorer. I left environmentally conscious at the dealership. [Smile] But I take the train to work and walk to school, so it's not so bad.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.