FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oops.

Author Topic: Oops.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
So...for about the fifth time in my little laptop's career, I've knocked it over. I'm convinced it likes to leap off surfaces and onto the floor. The other four times, it survived unscathed.

THIS time...it survived, but scathed. The bottom of the case cracked, unseating the RAM stick in the ram compartment. I pop open the compartment and move the RAM stick to the intact side. Boot up computer. Everything boots up fine.

Except the computer insists it has no sound card.

Oh, okay. Must've come unseated. Easy enough to pop open the case and re-seat it.

Except when it's integrated to the motherboard.

[Wall Bash]

Did you know sony has a repair tier that includes "acts of God"?

Mine isn't covered under that, unfortuntely (as repairs for acts of God are cheap).

Mine is tier II--major part replacment. Duh, the motherboard.

Estimate? $726.73

[Eek!]

So...choices. Do I just use it till it blows up? Do I get it repaired? (This is a $2000 machine I got for a steal...$400) Do I get an Apple machine that I'd need to use for my photography ventures anyway?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
How much will you miss sound?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
On this one? Lots.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
You could get a USB based sound card, such as this. Adds to what you have to carry, but is cheaper than a $700 motherboard repair. [Smile]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

But will the loose mobo crap interfere with other crap and make it blow up? Or melt down. Or something...

...I haven't heard the fan turn on.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do I get an Apple machine that I'd need to use for my photography ventures anyway?
Yes. Powerbook!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
How old is it and when were you planning on getting a new one? I'd hesitate to spend more than 1/3 the original cost to repair an item with a useful life of 4 years or so. Is it possible to get a PC Card Bus sound card for it? You'd have to have external speakers for that to work, though. Good for home, bad for travel.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it have to be portable?
No soundcard = no homestarrunner. Is this going to put a big dent in your online enjoyment?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't you still in starving-student-mega-debt mode? Fun as new toys are, it might be wise to live within your means and run this laptop into the ground for the next little while. Besides, the longer you put off buying a new one the better the technology becomes [Wink]
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Yeah, but online enjoyment is not worth $700.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
There's no reason you couldn't get a cheaper windows replacement to do you photo stuff instead of a powerbook (though they ARE nice). I'd see if you can't get another steal on overstock.com or other similar sites.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Yes, but future job uses macs.

[Wall Bash]

Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
they really aren't that bad. or, at least, not worth head-smashing. [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

No, just the ill-fated TIMING of this all. This was NOT the time the fairly new 3 lb hell of a steal laptop got broken.

Not that there'd be any good time for that.

But you get what I mean.

mackillian
Member # 586

I get the joke, too. [Wink]
pooka
Member # 5003

You have a new job lined up, Mack?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I think so.

...it's more broke than I thought.

The PCI card slot is busted up, which in turn busted up the DVD/CD-ROM thing, and the battery lock/release system also effed up.

[Wall Bash]

It's dead, isn't it?

Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, that really sucks. [Frown]

If you do end up getting an Apple laptop, get one from the iBook line. They're pretty tough.... I used to demonstrate this by throwing them, hard, onto the floor. [Embarrassed] Maybe not the best idea in the world, but it got the point across. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

For your next computer, I would reccomend putting some kind of non slip stuff on the bottom, plus some felt buttons so it can rest on a normal surface and not scratch, but so it doesn't slide off the lap. My brother puts a piece of leather over his keyboard when he closes his laptop. I forget why. maybe it keeps the oils from the keyboard off the screen.
NdRa
Member # 2295

- posted      Profile for NdRa   Email NdRa         Edit/Delete Post 
I did the same thing Jamie. [Frown] I bought my powerbook only 2 months ago, and have already dropped it 3 times. My computer has trouble booting now and I can't figure out if me finging it around like a baseball bat has anything to do with it.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Maybe there needs to be a laptop owner skills class where you spend a week treating a board like it was a real laptop. No shaking, dropping, or leaving in the locker. Also, you have to check your forum at least once an hour. [Wink]

[ July 20, 2004, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

NdRa
Member # 2295

I'm afraid no amount of teaching can fix my careless ways. This is a warning to all, don't lend me anything.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

*makes note*

Well, you can borrow my sony-vaio-looking paperweight. [Wink]

NdRa
Member # 2295

Jamie - I emailed you my new address. [Razz]
pooka
Member # 5003

Oh man, I was sure you would flip me the bird for that one.
mackillian
Member # 586

I KNOW how to treat a laptop...but my natural grace doesn't seem to want to practice it.

Sandy--you did NOT. I got your new PHONE number. *kick*

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Yes, but future job uses macs."

So? There's no photo you can't create on a PC that you can't pull over to a Mac, as far as I know. All major image formats can be read by both OSes and their most popular applications.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Good. [Smile]
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

"Yes, but future job uses macs."

I assumed she was talking about herself.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
In the plural???
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

There are some questions that should remain unasked. That might be on of them, rivka.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Angst]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Exactly.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.