FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Move Is Official

Author Topic: The Move Is Official
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm moving to Utah for a year to do a post-baccalaureate year at BYU. Lease is signed for an apartment, job prospects open, and movers are scheduled.

o_O

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] Congrats on the move.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so happy for you Jamie! [Smile] I think you'll enjoy living in Provo. It's not like anywhere else. And, I'm happy that I'll get to meet you! We'll have to do a big get together once everyone's back in Provo. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Rats!

I am very happy for you, Mack, just sad for me.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
When do you leave?

You better still be here for the picnic! Nothing else is acceptable....

[Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! This (almost) makes up for not getting to see you on your trip to Utah. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. We'd definitely like to meet you.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet!

What kind of outdoor activities do you have planned once you get here?

I recommend buying a float tube and some fishing gear, and visiting some of our mountain lakes.

You should definitely go backpacking into the high Uintas.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you want to be um.... 'closer' to Nate, huh? [Razz]
Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think you'll enjoy living in Provo. It's not like anywhere else.
You got that right! [Razz]

When you get occasionally overwhelmed by the Zoobies, feel free to take a little 7 hour drive and I'll take you backpacking. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
*sincerely hopes mack will like it here*

*is somewhat concerned*

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I have many a hip friend who assure me that Salt Lake is a sufficiently funky escape for those whose tastes lie on the fringes of the Provo mainstream.

And there are always the outdoor things. I think Jaime's pretty safe [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Eeesh. Salt Lake?

It's only 12 hours to Portland. It's MUCH hipper than Salt Lake. [Smile] I'm glad things are falling into place for you Jamie.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to agree with Narnia. Portland is MUCH hipper than Salt Lake. I was there two weeks ago for a press check and loved it. Definitely on my short list of places to move if the moving bug ever bites.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I'm glad you've been able to pick a spot and make the move!

Change is good!

Congratulations!

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you love to run up the sides of mountains, you're going to really love it in Utah. And you may readjust your definition of "mountain."
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with U of U about the "mountain" definition. What people call mountains in the East are what they generally call "foothills" in the west. <grin>

I hope you find happiness in Utah, mack. The scenery is definitely beautiful.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
<---is currently in N.C.

Can you believe that I've been asked several times if there are "mountains" in Arizona & California where I used to live?

[Eek!]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Tammy, parochialism is interesting isn't it? Here in the Chicago area, when someone asked me where I was from and I said "Southern California" the response question was "what block?" They thought I was referring to the Chicago street!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

I hope everything continues to fall into place for you!

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
It takes about 6 weeks for your blood to acclimate to the altitude. I hear it's good to get lots of water or something. I don't think the cans of juice and little Oreo packets are all the Red Cross cracks them up to be.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Obviously you didn't faint when you visited here, but folks in high altitudes have more red blood cells.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

What IS the altitude?

And I felt fine the entire time out there.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Mack, you are in such great shape that you probably didn;t notice it as much. it is an oxygen thing.

Edit: You should still be careful when you climb out there for a while.

[ July 19, 2004, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Yeah, I figured the climbing would be a change.
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Now if I ever get up there again to visit I can finally meet you with the rest of the contingent. I miss living in Provo.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What IS the altitude?
It's, like, how high you are, only not because of drugs.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

*thwaps pop*
pooka
Member # 5003

Over 4,500? I know cakes aren't great if baked as directed. I think Provo is about 1,000 higer than downtown Salt Lake. I meant if you were trying to set a personal best or anything.

Edits to make pop look crazy

My search gave about 4,300 for salt lake and 4,600 for provo. So 1,000 is an exagerration.

[ July 19, 2004, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
The elevation of Provo is 4,540 feet. I got that from the city of Provo's web site.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
A full house!

Edit -- aw, Derrell deleted the pair, so now it's just three of a kind. *sigh*

Edit 2 -- now pooka is deleting the repeat posts, too? That's so sad.... You two really know how to ruin a poker hand.

[ July 19, 2004, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Papa Moose ]

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I should be fine then. The "mountains" here can top 6,000 whole feet. [Wink]
pooka
Member # 5003

My house is probably 6000 feet. (goes to look for a contour map) Nah, I'm smoking something. Park city is 7000 so it would be unlikely we are more than 5000.

[ July 19, 2004, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I always loved the elevation and population signs in Jackson, Wy. Elevation was much higher than population and it was only a 5,000 foot elevation gain to the top of the Grand Teton. 13,600 feet approximately. Population 4500 in the 80's when I lived there.

Congrat's Jamie - and definitely watch the baking instructions! [Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Mack, for Pete's sake, harp on the elevation those young whippersnapper Western US mountains START at. The Adirondacks and White Mountains are measured from sea level, so their altitude is true, not a dog and pony show.

I sincerely hope that, though you are moving west, you will continue to hold both the Red Sox and the kick-butt eastern mountains in your heart, and flip off anyone who tries to dump on them. Remember, you were a mountain climbing Sox fan BEFORE you were a Mormon. A little bird-flipping never hurt anyone's chances in Heaven.

mackillian
Member # 586

It figures that Westerners wouldn't do the math [Wink]

And Elizabeth, I plan on returning to New England when I can. Sooner the better. [Big Grin]

pooka
Member # 5003

Well, the important thing is this thread is topping the dobie of it for the first time today.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I don't know, Jamie. I am worried about you. Once your snowboard hits that flaky powder, we might lose you forever.
mackillian
Member # 586

No, I'll miss the trees and lakes and potty mouthed liberal New Englanders way too much. [Wink] I'll certainly be a minority, despite the wonderful powder.
pooka
Member # 5003

Just go boarding on Sundays and you'll fit right in. And there won't be many lines (so I hear).
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Are you calling me a potty-mouthed New England liberal?

Thanks!

mackillian
Member # 586

Of course. It takes one to know the other. [Big Grin]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You are more potty-handed, Mack.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.