FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My cat is reproducing in the downstairs bathroom - Now with photos!

Author Topic: My cat is reproducing in the downstairs bathroom - Now with photos!
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
... and it's quite fascinating. She starting having her kittens on my sister's bed this morning, which was strange. I've had cats before and they always find a place to hide for a few days. But Lucy is unashamed enough to want us to ba around, I guess. So we moved her to the bathroom, which is her favorite spot in the house (because it's cool, I think) and since 6:00 this morning she has had 5 little kittens and I think more could be coming. She lets us pet her and keep her calm even during really hard pushes.

I've never witnessed catbirth before. And let me tell you, it makes me everlastingly grateful that I'll never have to deliver anything with claws, or anything that comes in groups of 5.

[ July 11, 2004, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Whew!

When I saw the title I thought maybe you'd locked your cat in with a tom in your house, and that the cat yowling situation was getting out of hand.

Did you want kittens?

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Yes, we wanted one litter and then we'll have her spayed.

By the way, the total is now six. Three with black & white spots, two black & gray striped and one black. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Good choice. Congrats!
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still squicked out by anything birth-related, but having a new litter of little kittens around makes me very jealous, Annie.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

^^^^^easily squicked?^^^^^
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Verra.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was going to be a cautionary tale about not leaving the Xerox machine turned on when the cat is loose.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo hoo.

Just make sure to keep an eye on the runt of the litter.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Tiny kittens are a lot of fun!! Congratulations to the momma cat on the little ones! [Big Grin]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Still only six? Do you think there are more coming?

And Ralphie is easily squicked?!? [Confused]

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And Ralphie is easily squicked?!? [Confused]
Neeeeh...
I just wonder if Ralphie knows someone's using her account...

D'OH! (I mean, Edit): Kittens ! Awwwwwwwww...

[ July 10, 2004, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

There are now seven, but the last one doesn't look to be doing so well. [Frown] He was laying on the cold tile floor, away from mom and the others on the towels. He was still alive, though, so I put him under the others hoping he'll warm up and she'll lick him so he can dry off [Frown]
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
And Ralphie is easily squicked?!?
By anything related to childbirth, yes.
Annie
Member # 295

Don't worry Ralphie - at least none of your offspring will ever come out claws first...

...we hope

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck to the seventh. I hope he makes it.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Next time, have your cat reproduce a Degas or a Klimt.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
How are the kittens and momma cat doing, Annie?

Congrats, and I hope the last one is ok.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

He's donig well... we warmed him up and brushed him with a toothbrush, and the little girls got him to nurse. They named him Siete for being number seven [Smile]

And look! I'm turning into a freak who posts pictures of a cat on the internet!
Mama & babies
and again
Lucky number 7 - Siete [Smile]
Kittens and children - ack!
You'd think I was trying to sell calendars!
Enough with the kids and the cats!

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
awwww...they're so cuuuuttteeeeeeee too much cute!

:: dies of kitty cuteness ::
Satyagraha

[ July 11, 2004, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: Insanity Plea ]

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
A) That is one freaking huge mama cat.

B) She looks really happy and content. [Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
They are so sweet with their little eyes scrunched shut. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

She's actually pretty scrawny - she's only a year old. The babies are just reeeeely small.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
She's only a year? Practically a teenage mother?!

I don't know TONS about kittens and cats but I have a friend who looks after pregnant cats on a regular basis (until they have their kittens and about two months after). For the first few days (about a week?) my friend leaves the mother and babies alone as much as possible- so they get a proper relationship or something.

As I said, I don't know exactly, but you might want to look into it...

Kittens are so cute, and you have seven, that's amazing (wait until they start exploring...) O.o

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool.

Only one thing wrong with kittens though.

They grow up to be cats.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww...those pictures made me grin.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
That is a huge litter! Both my litters were only four! Be specially careful of the runt of the litter, to be sure he/she gets enough to eat. Supplement with KMR (kitten milk replacement) given from a doll's bottle if necessary. I think actually the pet stores now carry kitten nursing bottles. Make sure the nipple hole (you have to cut them) is big enough to allow drops to come out one at a time, but not too big so that the kitten will be choked by too much fluid. Also, their little tummies have to be massaged with a warm damp paper towel after each feeding, for their digestive systems to work. Mama licks them from chin to tail on the abdomen, and you should mimic that. I hope they all make it! [Smile]

They are super adorable, Annie. I think the darkness is important the first few days to proper development of their vision. At least that's what I have read. Not sure how scientific that is. There is lots of "lore" in kitten raising. Of course, there is lots of good experience contained therein as well, and not too much hard science is done (thank goodness), so I would not ignore it too lightly.

Remember that the kittens are babies, and don't let the little ones treat them as toys. Teach them to respect their feelings and wellbeing, and it will be a beautiful experience for both the children and the kittens.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, don't handle them too much.
They look so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!
They're adorable!
*loves cats*
[Smile]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
They are very cute! They will be even cuter in a few weeks when they are running around!

Remember at 6 weeks or so, most kittens need to be wormed . It is kind of a chronic problem in most newborn kittens, unless the mom was wormed just before she got pregnant. We just wormed all of ours.

Cute! Thanks for sharing the photos!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.