FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Quite possibly the strangest story yet...

Author Topic: Quite possibly the strangest story yet...
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Canadian University refuses entry to seeing-eye dog who only speaks French... more or less. [Razz]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Well...that is rather odd...though it is an emersion course, thus meaning only a single language can be spoken. I wonder what Middlebury would do with their summer program if that happened...
(at Middlebury, their summer languages state that you can only speak the language you are learning --even if you're a first year student-- otherwise you're actually expelled...and they've done it before...damn good program though)
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Is Middlebury in Vermont? I think my sister looked into their French program.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't they just spank the offenders and get on with life? Expulsion? The whole concept of higher education is getting increasingly unpalatable in my view. You pay thousands of dollars to take a risk that they are going to fail you. But because it is aggressively marketed to us from infancy, we fall all over ourselves to get in.

I would be just shocked to have heard myself opine this a few years ago. But unless they pay my kids to go, they ain't going. I know they will make less money, but financial security is less about how much is made than about how much is spent. IMHO.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
pooka, what if they want to do work that requires a degree? You can't be a teacher, a doctor, or an engineer without one.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
And I would rather watch people fail then to graduate with a degree they should never have earned.

As pointed out, I'd rather not have a doctor get his degree because he didn't remember his medical courses, but the school didn't fail him because they didn't want him to feel bad about himself.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
It's really hard to fail out of state universities. I'm a fan of programs, especially in language, that are stricter.

Not that this has anything to do with the above story... [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.