Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sad

Author Topic: Sad
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from the hospital. My stepdad had a major heart attack. His central artery was completely blocked and they put in a shunt.

I think he'll pull through but I'm scared and sad. The lifestyle changes required to allow him to live are changes that he will fight tooth and nail.

I hope and pray that he decides pride and stubborness are not always necessarily helpful. I want him around - he's a fun man with tons of energy, lots of interests and some pretty bad habits (2.5 packs per day, greasy fried food, Type A "go go go" - relax is a foreign word . . . )

He has grandchildren to play with - heaven's sake - he's needed here.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
shannon?
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Shan and family)))))

That's rough. Grandchildren have motivated many a man to make more difficult changes. I hope he finds the strength to do what he needs to stay around a long long time.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear that. [Frown] It sounds like it will be tough for him to break those long term habits, especially the smoking. The average smoker tries to quit five times before they're successful. Of course, the scare the heart attack has given him may slow him down a bit and be a huge incentive.

Luckily, he has a great stepdaughter providing emotional support for him. [Smile]

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs*
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Shan)))

I hope things go well. Find someone close to you and get a big hug (small children seem to perform this task well). It always helps me.

My grandfather just came out of hospital after having half his lung cut out - he had a small lung cancer discovered, and his chances of living by cutting it out was much greater than his chances of living with chemotherapy. It was a major operation, and he is diabetic so there were, unsuprisingly, complications. But he has pulled through and is making all the necessary lifestyle changes - including giving up beer (which he LOVED) and partaking in a seniors exercise class (which he hates).

I guess the reason I'm telling you this is to say that people are pretty resilient. Especially when they have a reason to fight.

(((Shan)))

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
O.o Oh my God. The idea of having a lung cut out scares me more than Zombies. (tries not to hyperventilate)

Good luck, Shan. [Smile]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry I can't give you anything more than a e-hug, but still...
((((((((((((((((((((Shan))))))))))))))))))))

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

ryuko,

zombies have no lungs.

word on the street is that they have no class, either.

fallow

PS. got brains?

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Shan)))
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there dearest. (((Shan)))
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

*affects a zombie walk in Derrell's direction*

derrell [Kiss]

*smacks lips, licks fingers*

hmmm... zmmm...

*gnaws on D's brain*

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you are feeling better this morning Shan. (((( Shan ))))
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
((Shan))

Hug a dog -- that always made me feel better when I was a kid...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs Shan*

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
*crosses fingers* Good luck to you and your family, Shan [Smile]
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry.

((((((((shan)))))))

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Shan)))
[Frown]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, Shan. *hugs*
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Shan)))

[Frown]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Shan)))
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, everyone. I think he'll be okay if we can just get him to mind his p's and q's. The nurse informed me he was referring to her as the "warden" today. He was bragging about how fast the ambulence driver went, too. The man is so young at heart in so many ways - the doctor said he had more than one attack and the worst was during transport. 99% blockage. Lucky to be alive. Stubborn.

I couldn't sleep last night - so now I am going to bed. Thank you again for your support -

(((Hatrack)))

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.