FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Greetings from...

Author Topic: Greetings from...
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
San Bernardino, Hollywood, Santa Ana, Camarillo, Santa Barbara, Oxnard...and back...

Dana got to visit with rivka. I didn't. [Grumble]

We stayed with Dana's "best seminary friend" (thanks Mooselet for just the right phraseology) in San Bernardino. I'm not sure how "good" it was that I showed up as they were in the depths of moving to new job and first house ever, and the kids were sick and both moms were in town... But Dana was a huge help. I brought toys. I also lifted things. They gave their approval to the concept of a wedding. [Big Grin]

We visited my friend (since 5th grade) Joe and his family. Dana was a big hit, naturally. Although Joe did have to issue the traditional threat (don't hurt Bob or we'll hunt you down and hit you). But in the end, they too approved of the wedding. Their daughters were offering very helpful suggestions about what to wear (Converse All Stars) and what to do instead of throwing rice or bird seed (silly string and handfuls of flour). [ROFL]

We got to see the entire Moose family group. And had "pie" although really everyone else had ice cream. Hey, you invite me for pie, I'm having pie! You can never have enough pie!

We got to my mom's place in time for dinner -- her special lasagna. Hung out awhile. Walked on the breakwater. Dreamed of riches and a world without GW Bush... Ah, bliss...

Santa Barbara has gone from crazy, insane real estate prices to "oh what the heck, we might as well accept that this is just an alternate universe where inflation is 1000%." Seriously -- you LOSE a house bid if you go $20,000 over the asking price!!! [Eek!] Sellers actually dream of deals falling through because in the weeks since they accepted your offer, their house has gone up another $100,000!!!

What is wrong with people???

Or the world???

I have half a mind not to want to ever live here.

Actually, I think Dana has decided that it is a badly run town, and, in truth, she's right. The leadership here has systematically turned this into a place where no family could ever start out and have a glimmer of hope of ever owning a home, or a condo, or a pile of sticks...

Silly, really.

Ah well, it was a great place to grow up. Sadly, not many more kids will ever get to see that side of it.

Today we go pick up Dana's mom in Oxnard where she's visiting her brother. More approval tests for me this time!!!

So far, we're batting 1000, but I still think Dana's friends are trying to figure out a polite way to have me murdered in my sleep. Just kidding, they seem to be very genuine in their threats to kill me if I hurt her, but also in their provisional acceptance of me...for now. [Big Grin]

I've met Dana's mom before and she's a great person who has already said she thinks this wedding is acceptable...

So, we're "family & friend approved."

[Big Grin]

Mom's birthday is today. We're gonna party like ladies and gentlemen. Go figure.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
So, you skipped the important part. How did Dana and your Mom get along? Not like the answer's not going to be fabulously, but still...
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he was including that in the "batting 1000" comment. All is well.

This afternoon we have the Meeting of the Moms. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a cage match....
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dana got to visit with rivka. I didn't.
[Grumble]

I totally agree with that sentiment.

I had heard that the real estate market in SB was even more insane than here in L.A. (which is starting to slow down a bit). But yikes! That must mean that the people I know there who own a good-sized chunk of land with a couple buildings on it are stinkin' rich! [Cool] Land-rich, anyway.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
The least expensive home in Santa Barbara listed at realestate.com (3 bedroom 2 bath) is $1,295,000. Yeah, it's pretty bad up there. Or pretty good up there if you're already there.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm already here and I can't afford it.

I think the only way people can afford to live here is if they don't mind sleeping outside in the park.

Anyway, I don't care. The moms are liking each other. So all is well.

Dana's aunt & uncle approved me -- apparently I laughed at the right jokes. [Big Grin]

I almost slipped up and quoted the "God you say" thread, but Dana kicked me under the table and I turned it into a joke about the people at the next table. Phew!

[Big Grin]

Close one.

Anyway, we're off to mom's birthday party in a few minutes. Should be fun!

[ July 01, 2004, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a good time was had by all. It's good to know there are places more nuts about real estate than here.

Have a good rest of your trip!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Dana is giggling a lot...

[Big Grin]

punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to hear from you and [Wave] . I always enjoyed the Meet the Parents gauntlet. It's nice to know that you both are having a good time.

Edit to add "meet the rest of the family gauntlet". I posted afore I thought.

[ July 01, 2004, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Dana is kicking you and giggling a lot, Bob?

People do act a bid oddly around their relatives at times.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
We will expect a meet-the-family pun smackdown upon your return, since you are, as usual, slacking.

Too bad you are in SOUTHERN California, since Donna the Buffalo will be in NORTHERN California.

Are the moms meeting?? I thought I read that they were.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*cough*
quote:
Anyway, I don't care. The moms are liking each other. So all is well.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Thanks, Rivka. I will NOT make a pun, in your honor.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Big Grin]

For the record, I do not dislike puns -- as long as they are tasteful, and don't multiply like rabbits. [Wink]

punwit
Member # 6388

I'm sorry but I just cant sit back and allow haresy like this to go uncommented on.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I will not add to Punwit's pun.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Dana and I are Mooselet's "best Hatrack friends!!!"

Sorry to the rest of you. You'll just have to be second best. At best...

[Big Grin]

[Razz]

Dana is home in MN on her way to Iowa.

waaaaaaahhhh...

I'm here in Santa Barbara still. We're going to the beach art show. And the mission art show. And maybe go see a movie.

I miss Dana!!!!

Dana's mom had a great time -- she says... My relatives all love Dana.

The moms got along famously.

No family dirty laundry was aired. Well, so it was a relatively boring experience for all concerned, but quiet. [Big Grin]

And safe.

[Big Grin]

In fact the most dangerous thing was me driving the rental car (geezer mobile) through a red arrow.

But that's sort of expected here. If you see a geezer mobile on the road, expect it to turn in front of you the wrong way against a signal. [Big Grin]

It's S.O.P.

[Big Grin]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No family dirty laundry was aired.
Well, I guess shoes aren't really laundry....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"driving the rental car (geezer mobile) through a red arrow."

Hold on a second. Mister Bob "Drive Safely At All Costs" Scopatz went through a RED LIGHT? What, were you also drinking from a can of beer, talking on your cell phone, and putting ketchup on your hamburger?

I am shocked. Truly shocked.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Dana and I are Mooselet's "best Hatrack friends!!!"

Sorry to the rest of you. You'll just have to be second best. At best...

Fickle child! [Razz]
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
*fixes Bob with a steely glaze*
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I neglected to mention that the Moose family lives on a very clean street where nobody has ever greased their car right where people might step out and pick up said grease without noticing.

Sadly, I did just that and made non-moose tracks throughout the entranceway and living room. Fortunately, Papa Moose did not give us the full tour of the house!!! [Eek!] Imagine that!

So sorry...

The carpet steamer didn't even get the stain to giggle.

Elizabeth...my very supportive family and fiance completely failed to point out how a traffic safety professional shouldn't be running red lights while driving his future mother-in-law to a restaurant. And how appropriate cursing would seem to be in such a situation.

LOL...

Oh well...

The wonderful thing about this particular car is that other drivers see it and EXPECT odd maneuvers to ensue at any moment.

And I rarely failed to disappoint. You should've seen me parking this boat. It should've had a fog horn

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:
*fixes Bob with a steely glaze*
I prefer a maple sugar glaze.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I think CT must've worked a double again.

[Big Grin]

[ROFL]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bob frozen, covered in meringue, stuck under a broiler, and then called "da bombe."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Bob frozen, covered in meringue, stuck under a broiler, and then called "da bombe."

Oh my! That is one of the funniest things I have ever heard!

Don't forget:

Shish ka Bob.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bob for apples.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I tend to think of Bob and Dana sauteed together lightly in butter and olive oil, smothered in punions.

[ July 04, 2004, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

No, Strawberry RhuBOB pie!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Boiled Bobster.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yeah, it should have been Bobster Pie.

(An aside, a BOBCAT jumped through our cat window today!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Did you say Corn on the Bob?

Boy, that one works on SO MANY levels.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

CT,

We ASSUME the bobcat left through the front door.

As for the puns, nah, it is just that none of my other pun cohorts, except for you, are here to steal all the good stuff. ha ha.

BOBble and Squeak.

punwit
Member # 6388

I could try to Bobble something together, perhaps some cherry Bobbler.

On a side note, I'm thinking someone should put together a Bobble Head doll. What a great addition to Lavalamp and Poseable Man.

punwit
Member # 6388

We could clone Bob a couple of times and do a Three Bob Salad
dkw
Member # 3264

[Eek!]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Dana, Why the [Eek!] ? You know these are some of your favorite dishes.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Back to being smothered in punions, poor thing. There is no escape for her anywhere.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

My favorite is Bobston Cream Pie
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

CT [Eek!] !!!
dkw
Member # 3264

Hey, just because I like to lick maple sugar glaze off of Bob doesn’t mean I want our private life smeared all over the internet!

Oh wait, did I type that out loud? [Embarrassed]

I guess I shouldn’t be shocked. I spent Friday in the car with my mother and Bob discussing the various possible uses of the term “boffing,” and surely this isn’t any weirder than that.

dkw
Member # 3264

What? He had a little glaze on his lip.

[Razz]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"discussing the various possible uses of the term “boffing,” and surely this isn’t any weirder than that."

You were talking about boffing, and we were talking about bobbing.

CT, I wonder if they will plant their seeds in a raised bed?

[ July 04, 2004, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, just to let you know, baby oil and then the carpet steamer worked wonders. I can't tell where the tracks were. I think Pop can, but that's probably only because he was on his hands and knees scrubbing the spots with the baby oil.

All is well! [Wave]

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I've heard of following in someone's footsteps, but this is really a bit much.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

[ROFL]

Baby Oil!!! [Eek!] Where'd you get a thing like that? I mean, sheesh! And you actually have a couple of babies!!! I hope that name is just a euphemism! [Eek!]

Actually, up here in Santa Barbara, we know from tar -- our beaches are covered in the stuff. Baby oil is one of the standard substances used to clean "natural seepage" off of feet. The others are kerosene and gasoline.

I'm glad there are no traces left of my visit.

Although, I do try to live by the ecologist's motto:

quote:
Take only pictures. Leave only footprints.
Seems I was doing a good job at your place.

Thanks for letting me know it all came up.

By the way, Superstation is a very very cute baby. You shouldn't turn him into baby oil, no matter how much you can get per barrel.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I am home.

Mom had a great time.

She's happy that I'm happy.

It's a wonderful world.

[Big Grin]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Although, I do try to live by the ecologist's motto:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take only pictures. Leave only footprints.

Seems I was doing a good job at your place."

Oh my goodness. I just busted out laughing.

Bob, I tell you. I am a person who laughs often, but you can make me laugh the hardest of just about anyone. I come from a long line of smart-asses, and I am no slouch in this department. You are the guru of my generation, hands down.

Move over Jon Stewart, Conan, Farrell, Bob Scopatz is coming to town!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.