FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » this is nuts

Author Topic: this is nuts
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/06/24/family.kidnapped.ap/index.html

This man was charged with sexual assault, incest, and assault with a deadly weapon. So what does the judge do...lets him out on bail so he can do it all over again.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
Any bets the guilty daughter gets charged with murder and mom and sisters are charged as accomplices?
Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that'd be a manslaughter charge.

Most likely, she'd be aquitted.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*Muttering under breath*

"Where'd that discussion go regarding vigilante justice, now . . . ."

grrrrrrrr - - - - -

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it will be charged at all. Not if the DA wants to be reelected.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Good thing, Dag.

Who wants odds that this'll end up as an SVU episode next year?

*sigh*

I hope it'd end better.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't imagine they'll be charged with anything. They were in fear for their life. Whether or not he was asleep. They had reported him for sexual abuse and the police, who were supposed to protect them, let him out of jail and allowed him to shoot their mom and kidnap them. Heck I could even defend this case and could win. What you would do is irrelevant. What was their state of mind? Is it reasonable that they would fear for their lives? They had, after all, just gotten him arrested.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

no, they said there are no charges pending against the girls...since they were clearly in fear for their lives. Plus anyone who tried to charge them would find themselves out of a job.

The sad thing is because of an inept judge the girl that did it has to remember killing her father for the rest of her life. Yes he deserved it, but that does not make easy to remember taking the life of another person...even an evil one like that. She is not a cop or a soldier, she is a teenage girl. At least they refused to release the name of the girl who pulled the trigger (which means it is prob one of the younger ones). That way they don't have to deal with moron reporters saying "how does it feel to kill your father"

[ June 24, 2004, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Lupus ]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
No, this is nuts.

[Razz]

*has not read the article*

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
*has now read the article*

Just out of curiosity, is this the sort of man that ACT is sending door to door to get people to vote?

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

No.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
What is WRONG with the system? Common sense says don't let people like this out on bail... Common sense!
The law is rougher on drug dealers than it is on rapists! [Mad]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

quote:
Just out of curiosity, is this the sort of man that ACT is sending door to door to get people to vote?
Well, the ones ACT sent had already served their time...they were not out on bail. As to the quality of character, who knows. I think the article did say there were some people with sex crime convictions
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
The law is rougher on drug dealers than it is on rapists!
No, it's not. Most drug dealers get conditional releas with no bail, at least in DC.

[ June 24, 2004, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Nobody seems to have a problem with Kobe Bryant being out on bail. Can you imagine how many men would be in jail if they actually kept them there for molestation charges during a custody fight?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Bail is a constitutional right. It's not absolute, and many people are detained until trial, but there's has to be a very good showing as to why it should be denied. Remember, someone on bail is innocent of the crime they're charged with, unless they're awaiting sentencing.

Dagonee

Kayla
Member # 2403

Sorry. That was my point. When something like this happens, people get outraged. But they don't stop to think about similar situations that happen everyday. My husband worked with a slime-ball scumbag who was arrested for, well, basically those same charges this moron was charged with. He didn't miss a day of work over it.

Of course, this is the time when lawmakers enact stupid new laws (Patriot Act, anyone?) to calm the voters. A gross over reaction seems to be their preferred course of action.

Lupus
Member # 6516

I don't think people who are clearly a risk to others should be put on bail. This man showed that he was a risk to his family. Judges can deny bail to people...for example people who are a flight risk.
Kayla
Member # 2403

Lupus, the guy my husband worked with was also charged with sexual assault and incest and he got bail. How is he a threat to his family? He's only a threat if you believe he's guilty. What about the girl who makes those charges because she's pissed daddy won't let her go to the prom? Or the child whose mother makes him say it during a custody hearing? You seriously want to lock up every guy who's only charged like that?

And I have to say, I never, in my life, thought I'd be arguing the sanity of bail for scumball rapists. Has the world come to an end? Is this hell?

Lupus
Member # 6516

I don't know what all evidence they had at that point...but I think in a bail hearing some evidence can be admitted (ie: the rape kit, the gun, and so forth). The judge could decide based on that whether there is to much of a risk for bail (just as they decide if there is to much of a flight risk)
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in this case, the world is a better place now that he is gone.

Incidentally, Kayla is exactly right in this case, as horrible as it may seem on the surface.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.