FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Value of Beauty: Heart of Gold

Author Topic: Value of Beauty: Heart of Gold
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Heart of Gold, Neil Young's masterpiece, is one of the few songs that can, and has done so in the past, evoke a tear from me. The essence of the song is so clearly expressed, so well done, that few can deny the strength contained in it.

Because comparing and contrasting songs illustrates in greater detail both works, I shall compare Heart of Gold to another work we covered in Value of Beauty: Porcelain, by Moby.

Let's start where they're similar: both are longing, and both express a deep desire hunger for love.

Where they differ, however, is in the presentation style.

Oddly enough considering its modern position, Porcelain uses a much more classic form of emotion creation, that of melodious music. Indeed, while it has a few words spoken in the middle, Porcelain is primarily a work of musical effects.

Heart of Gold takes the opposite route. Though it also starts slowly, taking its time to establish the musical themes, it quickly turns into a classic rock piece, unlike the neo-regionalist approach of Porcelain.

-------------------------------------------

Now let's turn to the actual work.

As noted earlier, it starts musically, using a slow harmonica and guitar to weave a blanket of moods. This is similar to Alone Again (Naturally). Both works use slow....slow...music to establish a tired feel.

The first two lines of HoG are poetic, simple yet complicated. I absolutly love them.

I want to live,
I want to give

There you have it. On paper, they seem weak. But to the ear...*sighs*

Now we go on:

I’ve been a miner for a heart of gold.
It’s these expressions I never give
That keep me searching for a heart of gold
And I’m getting old.
Keeps me searching for a heart of gold
And I’m getting old.

And here it is: the problem. The singer wants to find love--a heart of gold (unless I'm wrong, an allusion to and a completly direct opposite of Heart of Darkness, by Konrad). The singer is old. And he's getting older.

He's looked everywhere. Nothing. Nothing at all.

No "Heart of Gold" anywhere.

I’ve been to hollywood
I’ve been to redwood
I crossed the ocean for a heart of gold
I’ve been in my mind, it’s such a fine line
That keeps me searching for a heart of gold
And I’m getting old.
Keeps me searching for a heart of gold
And I’m getting old.

Hollywood is a place of money.
Redwood a place of nature.
Clearly, the singer has tried everything. He's tried to find love through money, he's tried to find it through nature.

At times it's tough for him:
"I’ve been in my mind, it’s such a fine line
That keeps me searching for a heart of gold"

But what then gives him the courage to continue? The last stanza tells us:

Keep me searching for a heart of gold
You keep me searching for a heart of gold
And I’m getting old.
I’ve been a miner for a heart of gold.

You. But who is this you? The whole song has been an expression of pain--now we see he's addressing it to someone. But who?

I have my own opinion, but first let's here yours [Smile] .

[ June 18, 2004, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Phanto ]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Eh?
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Neil Young.
He did the music for Dead Man featuring Johnny Depp.
He also worked with Pearl Jam and wrote one of the sweetest love songs ever which I must now DL...

"You" could be his child... Trying to search for that bit of purity for his or her sake.
"You" could be a lover or a wife

hmm...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
What?

Where's the Douglas Adams discussion?

[Mad]

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Also note the last line is [i] I've been[/]--past tense, not present.
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
I got to see C.S.N.&Y. in concert many years ago and loved it! They sang their stuff as a group, some of their individual stuff, and some of their stuff from when they were with earlier groups. All four are very talented musicians who have contributed greatly to our musical culture.
Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Phanto,
I have been thinking about your question. I think the "you" could be the singer himself.

Another idea might be that it is not about love at all, but about a search for truth and integrtiy and "heart" in politics at a time when our country was in the midst of a mucky post Vietnam time.(because I THINK this album came out aftr the war was over)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Neal never wrote a song in protest of Viet-- oh, wait.

Never mind...

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.