FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Chapter Posted at George R. R. Martin's site

Author Topic: New Chapter Posted at George R. R. Martin's site
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a Cersei chapter! You'll find it in the Samples area of the site.

The site got my hopes up that there was going to be at least some kind of update on the status of AFFC--it says that there is new info on the About AFFC page, but it looks like the same old message to me, and is dated Jan. 4th. Anybody able to see what changed there?

Well, I'm off to read the Cersei chapter. I'm pretty interested to see what she's like as a POV character.

[ June 17, 2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, tell me now, ye who recommended this series. Am i going to be in the same boat that i am in with Sean Russell's trilogy? Waiting forevert for the next book, depressed, unable to find another substitute?

Does anyone know what GRRM plans as far as length of this series?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yep, that's about the size of it. Book four is *years* late, and though the series is projected to extend over six books, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it ended up being seven. That said, they're good enough that it's worth the agony of waiting, celia and Jon Boy's opinions notwithstanding.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon,

The message about the progress on AFFC is new - dated yesterday! Here's my favorite bit:

quote:
Of late, some of the words I have been getting have been less kind. I don't answer those either, though at times I am tempted. I will say, just to set some rumors straight, that I am not dead, I am not dying, I am not in ill health, I have not forgotten about my readers, and I am not lounging in my hot tub drinking chilled wine with hot babes in bikinis (though I'd like to be). I have been working on this bloody book almost every bloody day (okay, except for Sundays during football season and the two days of the NFL draft) for more years than I care to contemplate, writing, rewriting, revising, and writing again, trying to make FEAST a feast in truth.

While I wouldn't dream of sending him kvetching email, it confirms that I'm not the only one out there who really doesn't want to say "gee, George, just take all the time you need." [Smile]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a new update posted npw -- saying basically, yep, still working hard on it, please be patient and please don't be obnoxious about your waiting...

Is the Cersei chapter the same one that was previewed in the back of the Storm of Swords paperback?

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I don't know plaid--I've heard that there was a Cersei chapter in there, but I've got the hard back, and have never remembered to look at the paper back when browsing in a bookstore. The chaper involves Tywin's funeral. Same one?

sndrake--really? Weird! My browser must have cached the page, and just displayed the old one. After I finish the chapter I'll look into it. Thanks for letting me know though!

Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for those of you (only a handful, thankfully) who seem outraged that I continue to collect toy knights, read books by other people, travel, teach, speak, and make appearances (as evidenced by my website)... sorry, but I have a life beyond A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE. You should get one too.
Ha! I like this guy!

I just wish the series would finish before I turn thirty...

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

And yeah, Noe, if the chapter's about Cersei at Tywin's funeral, swearing history would remember the dude only as her father -- then you have the one found at the end of the paperback A Storm Of Swords.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Thanks Lalo, good to know--one less thing to remember to track down. Now I just need to get a copy of the Dragon magazine that had the Iron Islands novella, and I'll be caught up.
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
The chapter is, in fact, the same one as in the back of ASoS, but it's been edited a bit.

And I'm not sure ou'll be able to find a copy of that issue of Dragon, Noe, but if you want an e-copy of Arms of the Kraken, let me know and I'll email it to you (or anyone else).

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'd love that Frisco, thanks! Send it to noemon1 at yahoo dot com.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Frisco, pls man...I need a hit... KweaSr@msn.com

[ June 18, 2004, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew that Ralphie person was wrong about you.

zgator@hotmail.com

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Frisco, baby, don't listen to them.

dandadodge@comcast.net

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Frisco, you are the coolest...and would be even cooler if you tossed a copy my way!

pkflorian@ameritech.net

Whee!

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

I just read Ralphie's egomaniac thread and decided to search for my name. What a great idea! Now I know exactly how many of you aren't talking about me. [Smile]

Good thing, because I've been away for a few days.

Anyway, enjoy Arms of the Kraken, all of you--email is out.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ACTUALLY giving Frisco my e-mail address.

aratnameddog@aol.com

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm ACTUALLY giving Frisco my e-mail address.
omg FUN!!!1
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Gee, thanks Geoff. You made my day.

[Party]

Well, if I went around not forgiving everyone who was a jackass to me, I'd be one stressed out guy. You may have your story.

[ June 19, 2004, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Thanks Frisco, much appreciated!
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
katharina AT zevlag.com

One story, please. Hold the mayo. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Frisco, same idea here, only replace "me" with "my family" [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Heh. Yeah, if any word pops into mind when I think of Frisco, it's "jackass." No, wait, "insensitive." Wait, "abusive"!

Heh, christ, dude. Eddie's been a good guy to your family, far as I can tell -- you and I know the relationship he had, but despite your insistence, I first knew about the damn thing from your lips, or fingers, or however you'd like it, shrilling that Eddie was spreading stories about her all over Hatrack. It's not true. Give it a rest.

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Lalo, I'm not reopening this, especially not to try to justify it to you. I only responded in kind when he called me a jackass. I don't think that's cause to drag the entire mess back up again.

[edit] No, wait a minute. You're full of crap, and I have to set something straight. First, I never accused Frisco of "spreading stories" about anyone. And second, "as far as I can tell" is a pretty weak support for your position, given that you have zero relationship to my family whatsoever.

[ June 22, 2004, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: A Rat Named Dog ]

Lalo
Member # 3772

He said you were a jackass to him, a charge which seems fairly well justified given your history of snippy anger with the guy on Hatrack alone. I fail to see how you can reciprocate the charge.

In response to your first charge, you have accused him of spreading stories -- as I recall, the last time you broke out the angry-defensive-relation bit, you were furious that Eddie was supposedly telling all of Hatrack about the relationship and its intimate details. Patently false.

And no, I have no relationship with your family; but I do have a fairly firm (ha!) friendship with Eddie, and I'm confident that I know him well enough that his utter lack of derogatory mention of your family -- even when I whine to him about how obnoxious your father's anti-homosexual arguments can be -- is reflected in his everyday life.

Anything else you'd like to put forward before offering the guy an apology?

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Only that you're completely misrepresenting what I said in the initial argument. I did not accuse him of sharing intimate details of any relationship, nor did I accuse him of spreading derogatory stories about my family. Quite the contrary, actually, and I'm not going to let you goad me into restating my initial complaint.

I think the issue is over and done with, and I had believed that my comments here and elsewhere (expressing shock when I agree with Frisco, etc) were steps in the healing process. I don't like feuding with people, and I thought joking about our past annoyance at each other would help lighten things between us. I was surprised when Frisco insulted me in a post about forgiveness, but I decided to treat it as a joke, and snarked back with a smiley. I think we're on a pretty good road here, and you're really not helping anyone by obsessing over a long-dead argument.

[ June 22, 2004, 02:58 AM: Message edited by: A Rat Named Dog ]

Frisco
Member # 3765

Lalo, chill.

Geoff, I'm sorry I was snarky.

Kat, story's in the mail.

Move along, people. Nothing to see here. [Big Grin]

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Frisco, no harm, and I'm sorry too [Smile]
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Sunshine.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.