FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Going out on a date? Better bring your lawyer...

Author Topic: Going out on a date? Better bring your lawyer...
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.gawker.com/topic/dating-in-manhattan-an-exercise-in-contract-law-016157.php

quote:
Dear [WOMAN'S NAME]

On June 5, you agreed to accept dinner, paid for in full, by me, based on your stated offer that we would go out again. In that you have ignored all overtures to said follow up meeting, you are hereby considered in breach of contract.

To that end, you are being invoiced for 50% of the cost of the dinner, pursuant to the offer. For the record, the offer presented you with the option of not going out again and paying for half of the dinner, or going out again and not paying at all. You accepted these terms, choosing to go out again, as stated above, but have since failed to deliver your end of the agreement. In that this was merely a promise to meet, and not a promise to marry, the agreement is binding under New York law and does not require a written agreement (i.e. statute of frauds).

Furthermore, this is absolutely not a joke.

Your share is 50% of $74.51 which is a total of $37.25. Payment in full is expected within 30 days.

You may remit to:

[MAN'S NAME AND ADDRESS]

I'm speechless.

[ June 16, 2004, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
The real question is, why would he spend seventy-five dollars on a first date?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Well if you're making good money in the city $75 isn't that much. It's all relative. And away, an appetizer, 2 entrees and maybe 2 glasses of wine or a cheap bottle and you're there. And not even at a really nice place.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Plus, she's Jewish. [Razz]
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Hilarious that they assume this would only happen on a Jewish dating site.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

You have to be wound really tight to send someone an invoice for a date.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is the best idea ever.

Soon we'll be able to sue women with breast implants for false advertising.

baBOOM!

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it would be really uptight if he had itemized the bill. At least he only divided by two, and he gave her the benifit on the rounding off the odd cent.

[ June 16, 2004, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Jalapenoman ]

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

What if his entree was more expensive?

What if he ate more of the appetizer?

What if he gave a bigger tip than she wanted to leave?

I think the only gentlemanly way of doing it WOULD be to itemize the bill.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
This man is no gentleman.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I never got why anyone would pay for someone else that they weren't romantically involved with.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he only proved that she was right to not go on a second date with him.

[ June 16, 2004, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: human_2.0 ]

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I've covered for friends pretty often as well as been covered by friends at times when I didn't have money. I don't think romantic involvement is the only time it's necessary to pay for someone else.

unless you were being facetious. and i missed it... [Smile]

Cause i hope parents aren't romantically involved with their kids. But they sure do pay for stuff alot.

[ June 16, 2004, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
It says she agreed to go out with a second time before the first date even started. That doesn't excuse what the guy is doing, but that's weird.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear [MAN'S NAME]

This is in reference to your letter of June 17 regarding our date of June 5 (the Letter). My acceptance of your offer to pay for dinner constituted the formation of a contract, in which you promised to pay for dinner and I promised to provide company during said dinner. My offer to go out again was not induced by your paying for dinner; it was either an invitation to offer a second dinner or a gratuitous promise lacking consideration. In neither case is this second dinner an enforceable promise under New York law.

Further, even if a contract was formed, there was fraudulent misrepresentation upon which I relied in accepting your offer for dinner. When you asked me out to dinner, you specifically said we would have a good time. Being that you are a miserable twit (as evinced by the Letter), a good time was not had. Your breach of this promise is sufficient to rescind the contract.

Sincerely:

[WOMAN'S NAME AND ADDRESS]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of assumed that when the bill came, they discussed who would pay. His offer to pay "this time" if she paid next time, might be what he is talking about. However, if he ivited her out on a date, then sprang the "dutch treat" part of it, she might not have had cash to cover "her share." At that point and time, she was probably pretty pissed and agreed to his plan because a) she had no choice, and/or b) he is a jackass and deserved it.

Anyway, that was just my thought.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
If that's the case, Kayla, it reinforces that on dates, you should always bring enough money to pay for yourself...just in case. [Razz]

My mommy taught me well.

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Dag, you'll make a great lawyer!

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of "Intolerable Cruelty" (if this is the good title in English).
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
lol
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't even begin to imagine what would happen to our country if this caught on...
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Too funny! Good response, Dag. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.