FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer parts

Author Topic: Computer parts
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My secondary computer at home bit the dust this week. Basic motherboard failure.

It isn't a real essential machine, but it does have a lot of stuff on there I want to keep, and I had put a new hard drive in it within the past couple of years, so I was thinking about just putting another motherboard in it to limp it along as a secondary machine.

Have any of you purchased computer parts from this site?
PC Parts Unlimited
If so, are they reputable?

They have some awfully cheap prices, so I might just go ahead and buy me a new case, motherboard w/processor, power supply and video card from this supplier, for the prices I see. It would be an upgrade from this old box (although not as nice as my primary machine). Spend probably less than $300, if that. Put my current hard drive in it.

Just wanted to know if any of you had dealt with that company before.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Never purchased through them. I highly recommend www.NewEgg.com.

Make sure that you look them up at http://www.resellerratings.com/

[ June 15, 2004, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Zevlag ]

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
www.mwave.com is also reputable. I buy almost all my sparts from them.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the Newegg vote. They hold on to their records for a long time, and if something goes wrong with a part, they accept returns for a refund (for a certain period of time) and for replacements (for a much longer period of time). They ship fast, and their customer service is fantastic.
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the Newegg link. I think I will take your recommendation and use them.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
Newegg is great
as is :
PC Club
Fry's
and
Dumping Goods
and don't forget to hit www.pricewatch.com while you're at it if you're looking for specific hardware.
If you know exactly what you want I suggest hitting up on the Fatwallet Hot Deals Forum to see if someone has it on sale...though I doubt it with older stuff.

You probably have some way to back everything up, but what I've found works really well is downloading a Knoppix CD and sticking it in (when you have the new motherboard, of course). and throwing it to another computer on your network. Or if you must have windows, build yourself a BartPE WindowsXP LiveCD (useful for fixing everyone else's computer too).
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.