FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Blue Wizard Is About To Die

Author Topic: Blue Wizard Is About To Die
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
BLUE WIZARD IS ABOUT TO DIE!

Prose, Poems, and Emoto-Versatronic Expressionist Pieces About
Video Games (1980-2003)

by Seth "Fingers" Flynn Barkan

I read a minireview about this book in one of my videogame mags and it sounded hilarious, so I ordered it.

For anyone that grew up in the arcades of the 80s and 90s this is a must read. The author also warns that the poems (when read aloud in coffeehouses) that were suppsoed to be serious were found to be humorous and the ones that were supposed to be humorous were found, well, not to be.

I read most of the poetry and prose in one sitting, and I was touched and abhorred. And I too wanted to play Arkanov, just one more time. If you miss the arcade games of decades past, then please take the time to read this collection of arcade history made into an art form.

I will forewarn anyone offended by strong language. The author uses repeated profanity and cursing, so this may limit its appeal. In context, though, I took the language in strides and tried to enjoy the poems in their entirety.

[ June 13, 2004, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
ah, gauntlet legends...
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds awesome. Love the classic video games. In fact, just bought an original 8-bit nintendo, with about 50 games, to relive some of the glory that was gaming in the late 80's. Thanks for the suggestion.

*off to search the net for book*

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I HUNGERRRRR!!!!!!!!
For this book.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko,

There is a tribute to Sinistar, so you will be rewarded! I bought mine from Amazon BTW...

Beatnix,

Let me know if you get it as well. Paperboy is my favorite...but Bushido Blade is another fine one (speaking of the poems, not the original game, mind you).

[ June 14, 2004, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.