FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Signs of my growing fossilization???

Author Topic: Signs of my growing fossilization???
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I got two bills in change at the grocery store today. They were the same denomination, and looked similar, but not identical.

I looked at them both and said "hey, what's the deal here? These don't look the same."

The cashier patiently explained to me that I was holding the new new 20 and the old new 20. And she said it as to say "you're the third geezer this week to ask about this."

Ugh.

And then I just built up this powerful resentment against the new new 20. Not that I was attached to the old new 20, but I caught myself just as I was about to say (in my grandmother's voice no less) (at least that's how it sounded in my head) "I don't know why they have to go changing things all the time. It was fine before. We had the same money for my whole life, then they change it then they change it again the next week. Why can't they just leave well enough alone?"

As I stopped myself from saying this, I felt an internal rusty cog give way with a desperate creaking noise, and new ways of thought forced themselves over the walls of the crumbling log jam of my mental river. Well, granted it was only a trickle, but it sure felt good. The cool refresshing non-rusty waters.

I was so elated, I quickly ran home, read the instruction manual of my VCR, and programmed the stupid clock! Ah bliss.

I miss that little blinking light though.

And now what? I think I'll try an unfamiliar cuisine or maybe I'll go see a hip-hop movie.

Whoo hoo!!!

I feel giddy, oh so giddy!!!
<dances around the house>

Ouch!
Um...I think my mind just broke a hip.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Have you seen the new nickel?

[ June 13, 2004, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT?!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, Bob, but I laughed my head off when I saw the title of your thread. [ROFL]

If you're a geezer, what am I? Better go get out my cane. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think the real sign of your growing fossilization is that you haven't seen one of the new 20s until now! Where have you been?!

I've been getting them for long enough that I have finally passed the "these are NOT real money! they just look WRONG!" stage, and have moved on to the "yeah, sure, just give me my change" stage.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

They look like twenties somebody dropped in a puddle of Kool-Aid.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Just so you don't get freaked out at a vending machine, I'll give you advance notice: Coca-Cola comes in plastic bottles now, and you can get it without any sugar in it. It's called "Diet Coke."

What a great time to be alive!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, congratulations!! You are getting young! Perhaps you will start to age Merlin style.

Math Question:

How many years until you and Dana are the same age?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Just so you don't get freaked out at a vending machine, I'll give you advance notice: Coca-Cola comes in plastic bottles now, and you can get it without any sugar in it. It's called "Diet Coke."
Dag, the last vending machine I bought a diet coke from had it in cans. [Wink]

(Just to be clear, that was this past Wednesday. [Big Grin] )

[ June 13, 2004, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Well, I didn't mean exclusively... [Smile]

After all, if they had replaced all the existing 20 dollar bills, Bob still wouldn't know there was a new design. [Big Grin]

[ June 13, 2004, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll give you advance notice: Coca-Cola comes in plastic bottles now, and you can get it without any sugar in it. It's called "Diet Coke."

Hopefully not to kill the surprise, but there are now Pepsi Edge and Coca Cola C2. They both have half the sugar of the regular varieties and are sweetened with sugar and Splenda, and Coke also uses Nutrasweet as well. I have tried both, and they are somewhere between diet and regular pop in taste...

[ June 13, 2004, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I was afraid to mention that. Two choices seem like enough for him.
Ela
Member # 1365

Mmmm, I don't drink soda much, but I like the Coca Cola with Lime...
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried one of those "soda pop" things once. I didn't like the fizz. How do they get those bubbles in there anyway? And WHY!?

In my day, if you wanted fizzy water, you had the druggist make up some seltzer for you and you took it home in a seltzer bottle. It was good enough for us!

And what's with this ice maker contraption? I kept looking inside to see the little man in there. And where does he keep his miniature horse & wagon?

Come to think of it, how am I even posting this message? I don't even have an inkwell or quill in hand. This is just weird!

I still say the new 20 is here just to get us used to colors and swirly stuff on our money so that when the One-World government takes over, we won't notice so much that we're using Euros.

Feh!@

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"colors and swirly stuff on our money"

Well, duh. What do you think happened to all the hippies? Do you think they are at music festivals? Maybe some are, but a very small portion. Most hippies are making oodles of money on Wall Street. There has ALWAYS been a plot for the hippies to take over and turn the money tie-dye. Everyone knows that.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
How colourful is this "new" (and how new?) twenty? Is it not green? *hopeful*

I like money to be different colours. It bothers me when I go the states that I can't ever find money quickly because I have to go to all the trouble of taking all the bills out and rifling through loads of green pieces of paper to find the right one...

</rant>

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

. . . or you could simply look at the little number in the corner. [Wink]
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, I was kerfluffled when they changed the twenty again, too. It just seemed egregious. They had JUST changed it!

*mutter*

Of course, I work with money all day long, so I knew the 'change' was coming (harhar). I even had to read a little promo about it so I would know it was not a counterfeit bill.

Of course, there were also all of those annoying commercials about the new twenty dollar bill. Don't you ever watch television? (It's the black box in the corner--get someone to hook it up for you, I can't begin to explain the intricacies of coaxial cable)

Pfeh. Funny colored money. Demmed European if you ask, me! Next thing you know I'll be spelling color with a 'u' somewhere in there, and center all cattywampus.

[Wink]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody pre-empted me! I kind of like my money green, myself...it makes it easy to tell it's not a bill or a receipt that I've somehow stuck in my wallet.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, they changed it again???

My God, having no money strikes again, I had no idea. I bet the cashier also had a ton of teenagers/college students wondering what was up with this monopoly money crap...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
. . or you could simply look at the little number in the corner.
You expect me to read? Colour recognition is far quicker... besides, I'm used to colourful money.

No, but seriously, what does this new twenty look like?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like it was redrawn by someone with less talent and then dipped into bleach.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to upset your world any more, Bob, but get ready for the possibility of more change. There are people talking now about putting Reagan's picture on one of the bills - maybe the twenty.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

It looks unAmerican and like it's worth some small percentage of what real money is worth.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

lma, I heard it was the $10 bill.

And/or the dime, although the proposal on the dime is to have half of them Reagan and the other half as is (FDR).

I've also heard proposals of sticking Reagan's likeness up on Mt. Rushmore.

Fortunately, I would not live long enough to see that job completed.

The change in our money, I would have to see. And I would prefer not to. I think Mr. Reagan was a huckster and that he not only knew about Iran/Contra, but he approved it.

And I also think he destroyed the education system in California when he was governor.

And the parallels between he and Bush II are closest when you look at their failed education policies as governor and then later as president.

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's not something I want to see either. And, haven't they been floating that Rushmore idea ever since he left office?
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

It's worse than you think! In attempting to find a picture of this apparantly hideous bill, I found...

Conspiracy or Coincidence

Heh heh.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.