FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm fixing cracks in the walls

Author Topic: I'm fixing cracks in the walls
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes indeedy! I got the wall mud (joint compound) and crack tape, and I'm going to town. Had a friend over to show me how it's done. Very simple, actually. And the repairs come out looking so nice. And the cracks are supposedly NEVER coming back. Well...we'll see about that.

But anyway, I'm just having a blast.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
Hanging sheet rock, taping, mudding, and texturing have got to be the worst job in the world. I once had to do it to half of a house and hated every minute.

You have my condolences.

Continue trying to convince yourself that you are really having fun, and you just might.....hate it a little bit less.

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I've hung & mudded my own sheetrock on the ceilings and walls of two very odd shaped rooms now, and I gotta say I agree with Bob. It's fun. The only sucky part is the sanding. I hate sanding. And when you're doing it from scratch instead of just repairing cracks, you have to do 3 - 4 layers, and sand them all. Blech.

I'm buying one of the sandy things that hooks up to your shop vac before I do downstairs, and hoping it's not just a gimmack.

Have fun Bob!

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay,

I was sort of dreading this job until I heard how much work you'd tackled in your house. I got no sympathy at all from dkw over this. She just kept saying "Oh, 'ElJay' did way more than that..."

I haven't gotten to the sanding part yet. The part I'm actually worried about is getting the wall texture to match, but I have at least 3 methods that supposedly will work for these walls. I'm going to try the roller method first as that seems the easiest.

I have this weird textured surface. It's like strings & drips. But it does look like it went on with a roller so that'll probably work for me.

Then I get to paint!!!

I love painting, but this is a big @ss house to paint.

Most of the house is kind of a cream/yellow. Should I go with that or go all white or just have different rooms of different colors?

Normally, I would go all white, but then again, I don't want to make the place seem too bland and colorless.

Hmm...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Texturing is the most fun ever. [Smile] I helped my dad replace part (almost half) of the ceiling in one of the bathrooms in their house. It had the standard "knock-down" texturing. He had bought a little magic sprayer widget for applying it, but it was worthless. In the end I decided that the best method was coating my hands with the texturizing compound (basically a slightly watered-down version of plaster/joint compound) and then flicking it onto the ceiling. Needless to say, by the time we were done, I was a total mess, but since we were in the bathroom anyway, I just hopped in the shower clothes and all and washed it all off me (and the walls and the tub and the floor and the mirror and....) [Big Grin]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I must say that would have been interesting to see, Ludosti... [Big Grin]
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Pfft. If you're gonna texture, why bother sanding?

If you're using a neutral color, then I think all the rooms should be the same. If you're not using neutrals, paint 'em any color you want.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,

All white will make your house look cold and empty. You either need a lot of accents, rugs, art, etc, or you could try an off-white. Since you love painting, you might want to try a few accent walls. You paint just the one wall something bright or dark and the space looks bigger. Plus it's more fun.

My step-dad is a painter. Can you tell?

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

That ceiling texture stuff...they make this really cool stuff in a tub that works best. You just roll it on. It's a bit thicker than paint, and it has little styrofoam pieces in it.

For this wall, I'll just have to thin out some of the joint compound and goop it on.

ElJay, good point about not sanding. I was thinking I had to get it smooth first and then put a coat of the texture on. But maybe I'll just texture it.

I have two spots left to tape up, they were too deep to just put tape on first. Everything else is ready for its second coat and some texture.

[Big Grin]

Actually looks pretty darn good.

[Big Grin]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob - be sure to wear a face mask when sanding. That dust can be dangerous.

And if you like painting so much, I'm sure we can find some work for you in Virginia. [Smile] The house we looked at today had paisley wall paper. Paisley!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Could be worse. Could be Toile.

Those little people leave the wallpaper at night and attack you.

[ June 12, 2004, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Not smooth sanding, but you do need to remove the worst of the troweling lines and overly thick plaster. Otherwise, you end up with highly visible seams; which won't necessarily be apparent until you put on the final coat of paint, especially if you use a glossier ie more reflective paint.

[ June 12, 2004, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i love accent walls!

my mother got manic andi helped her redo our whole house. in our living room we did the side walls a very neutral marsh-grass green that you couldn't tell was green unless you held a white piece of paper up to it.
then the wall surrounding the fireplace was a nice dark rich raspberry sherbet color. it was BEAUTIFUL.
tied in nicely with the drapes.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else hear an old Beatle song in their head when they saw this thread?

[ June 12, 2004, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
ak,

no, but I shoulda? which one?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm fixing a hole
where the rain gets in
and stops my mind
from wandering..."

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

[Cool]
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's the only reason I entered the thread.

(Pretending I hadn't noticed the post)

Bob, is your mind wandering?

BTW I just finished re-sheetrocking my kitchen/dining room ceiling and the outside wall of my dining room, to add insulation. I love sheetrocking too, but if you haven't done it before - START WITH THE WALLS - ceilings are the worst place to learn how.

And if you do it right (smug) you don't have to sand. The better you get the less sanding you do.

Did you know that sheetrock is made of industrial waste?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

ak, I thought of using that line, but the fact is no rain is getting in and I was afraid to diss my house so badly. It's looking over my shoulder as I type, afterall.

[Big Grin]

Glenn...I hear sheetrocking is a blast. I've never done it, but I hear that ElJay, my future sis-in-law is a pro! Maybe I'll get lessons. Next time she renovates a house, perhaps?

And I have heard that the more skilled one becomes, the less sanding there is to do. I purchased one tool that does cut down on the sanding, supposedly, but I was loathe to use it over the first course of mudding in the mesh tape. That stuff can come up too easily when it is "wet." The next course will be easier.

aspectre, thanks for the tip. I was considering NOT doing the texture stuff because the repairs are really hard to see even now when the white of the dried mudding is in place. I forgot that paint can actually make the differences MORE visible.

porce -- that does sound cool. I've seen that kind of thing done very badly, though. I'm afraid my decorating sense (or lack thereof) would inhibit me from even trying something so bold.

[ June 13, 2004, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Those little people leave the wallpaper at night and attack you.
Ugh! That's horrible.

But it's not worse than the paisley wallpaper I saw. Maybe it was the light of the mini-chandeliers they had up IN EVERY LIGHT FIXTURE.

*shudders*

Here's hoping this keeps others from putting in competeing bids.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob the Builder.

[Cool]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And if you do it right (smug) you don't have to sand.
As a professional drywaller and painter I would not recommend skipping the sanding phase. You may have done a great job but it will be even better if you sand it a bit.

In regards to the texturing, if it is similar to knockdown texture a crumpled up newspaper dipped in the very thin mud mixture works very well.
Once you dip the paper and apply, lightly to the wall, wait for roughly 5 minutes and then lightly run your 6 inch knife over the top to knock down the points.

[ June 13, 2004, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Hey Bob, I actually considered doing an "Ask the Painter" thread but figured it would languish and/or appear silly. Whadya think?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

punwit! Definitely do one!!!

Okay, now run this by me again. I've got the kind of texture that looks like strings or drips. It's not all pointy like regular popcorn ceiling type. And it's not deeply patterned like stucco. It's more like there are strings in the paint, if that helps any.

How do I do that?

One person told me use a thinned mixture of joint compound and one of those foam rollers sort of dripping with the stuff.

Another person told me to use the newspaper thing.

And there's some paint at the store by Behr that supposedly comes out doing this texture, but then they say you have to "do" something to it afterwards, so I figure the mudding technique is probably the one I want to use.

I've got the patches pretty well done. A couple need one more coat and some "feathering" to make the repair have less obvious "edges." But other than that, it's pretty much ready for sanding and then the texturing coat.

Someone said I sure primer it all first so that the ultra-wet mud doesn't just make the dried repair underneath just come out or get messy. What do you think I should do?

Thanks!

fallow
Member # 6268

*whizzles on sheetrock*

*combs self*

punwit
Member # 6388

Hmmm, strings in the paint. Trying to visualize this. Would ripples on a pond come close?
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I'm fixing a hole
where the rain gets in
and stops my mind
from wandering..."

Thank you. This thread title has been bothering me since I first saw it. Arg!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Yes!!! That's it!!! But not anything concentric or obviously parallel "lines" of ripples. It's a bit more random looking, like there's a slight gusty breeze across it.

PERFECTLY APT description, though!

So...how do I do that?

punwit
Member # 6388

You should usually allow each coat to thoroughly dry before doing anything. Anyone that indicated you should put a new coat of mud or paint over semi dry mud or paint is giving you suspect advice. I occaisionally have rushed a job by doing a coat over not completely dry product but I am a professional (do not attempt to do this at home) [No No] [ROFL]
fallow
Member # 6268

*doo dee doo do whap?*

*takes a prolonged mudbath and hopes to high heavens the pro's figure it out before the kiln arrives*

[ June 13, 2004, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: fallow ]

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did anyone else hear an old Beatle song in their head when they saw this thread?

ak - Yes, Yes yes yes yes!

I've been wandering around singing "And it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong I'm right, where I belong I'm right, where I belong..." for the past 24 hours and it's been annoying the bejeezus out of me.

Glad I'm not alone [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
It's rather strange about the Beatles song since it's only the first two words that are at all the same! [Angst]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

If the lines run roughly bi-directionaly, like roughly east-west or north-south, a roller application of either soupy drywall mud or a textured paint product should come close to your texture. There are specialty roller nap products made that can make the process easier. Without seeing your particular product I'm just doing some educated guessing tho.
punwit
Member # 6388

Once you get the texture done you should coat the whole shebang with either a specific wall primer or at worst a flat paint. If you are finish coating with a paint of any sheen: eggshell, low lustre, semigloss, or gloss you will need several top coats to achieve a uniform appearance commensurate with your existing paint. If you are repainting all then the priming phase will be sufficient.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I shall try the soupy mixture and a roller.

The rollers I looked at iddn't quite have the texture I was looking for.

I was thinking of also asking the guys who do the building maintenance at my work to see how they do it because the walls there have the exact same texture and they seem to do a good job of matching it.

I also have to say that even if it doesn't match, it'll get close enough. I had to undo one repair from the prior owner and my technique is already superior to the sloppy job they did.

I am going to repaint the entire house. So no worries on matching.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I immediately thought of Fixing a Hole too, and was planning on asking Bob if, when he got done, he was going to be painting the room in a colourful way, but I was beaten to the punch.

Teshi, I expect that that song occurred to all of us because, in addition to having the line that's already been quoted, it also has one that goes "I'm filling the cracks that ran through the door". Combine the two lines, and you've got something fairly close to Bob's thread title.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Update:

I sanded
I even wet-sanded.

Um...should've known better. You get dry mud wet, it turns to wet mud. Comes off the wall. Ha ha ha.

Used judiciously, a wet sanding sponge works really well. But it's too easy to overdo it. So, I used the dry sanding sponge instead. Worked great.

Then, the texture. That really was fun!!!

I think I'll go into business texturing walls. I won't do anything else. Just texturing. It's too much fun!

[Big Grin]

Oh, and I did ask the building maintenance guys. They said "use a roller. Go slow." Worked like a charm.

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice everyone!!!

[Big Grin] <------ me after texturing

Did I mention I enjoyed the texturing?

eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you try a little texturing?

Finishing painting can be very satisfying. Unlike starting painting.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

[Party] Woo hoo. I find it refreshing that someone says they enjoyed painting or drywall work. I hear so many people complain about how much they hate it. I'm glad the roller application worked well. Good luck on the rest of your project.

Are you doing all this beautification because you are selling the house? Where are you and dkw going to live post hitching? (Ha Ha.. post hitching.. sounds like a western)

ElJay
Member # 6358

Yay Bob!

Faux texturing with paint is fun, too.

Wet sanding sponges are for when the mud is still wet. But I bet you figured that out, no?

Home improvement rocks.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.