FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What does Donny do?

Author Topic: What does Donny do?
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
No, not Donnie Darko. We have enough of those threads. [Smile]

What does Donny, in Big Lebowski, do for a living? I always assumed The Dude was making some sort of residual payment from something he did when he was younger, and Walter was getting some sort of Veterans pay, but what does Donny do for money? I have a hard time picturing him doing any job, but at the same time, he must do something right?

His parents aren't around. Otherwise someone else would've been there to get Donny from the morgue. Are they dead? Is he far from home. Was Donny a bright young boy with a promising future who moved out to California to take a shot at something or other, and well...forgot what he was doing and ended up bowling most of his days away?

Who is Donny? The man behind the myth...

[ June 08, 2004, 01:59 AM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Walter owns his own business. It's not clear exactly what the business is, but it's called Sobchak Security. The Dude's source of income isn't clear. I assumed he was pretty much broke, as he was late in paying his rent, and for good reason. Maybe he saved some of the cash that he earned as a roadie for metallica, or perhaps he's getting royalties from the original draft of the Port Huron Statement (not the compromised second draft).

Donny was a surfer, I think. At least Walter makes mention of that during Donny's mountainside eulogy. He says that Donny came to California and travelled to various beaches, no doubt becoming part of the surfer culture.

That's the great thing about the Big Lebowski. There's a lot of layers to keep you interested. Like how the hell did Donny and Walter develop such a strange relationship?

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
That's right, Walter picks up The Dude in that van of his.

And I do remember Walter saying how Donny surfed the beaches, but you think he really made money from there? To live off of? Maybe he's living off an inheritance from his parents or something.

Btw, do you even know what the "Port Huron Statement" is? I was always curious but never had the motivation to look it up. Or was it made up?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
Port Huron Statement?
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.