FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cotton Candy Cul-de-Sac

Author Topic: Cotton Candy Cul-de-Sac
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot this evening that I promised the neighbor kids that I would hurry home from work and make them cotton candy. Luckily I caught all green lights on the way home.

A few years ago my wife and I bought a used cotton candy machine. We take it to family and church functions, and sometimes we just set it on the porch and let the neighbor kids make their own.

Many families have come and gone in our neighborhood, but whenever the kids come back to visit their old friends they always want cotton candy.

I think that moms actually like cotton candy more than their kids. They try to act reserved about it, but when we make a few extra and take up to their front door, there they are lurking behind the front window, and the door always opens without having to knock. I guess we've ruined some strict diets with our machine.

There's a concession supply store nearby where we get the various cotton candy flavorings. They've got snowcone supplies and popcorn supplies too. I guess I wouldn't mind having a snowcone machine.

What kind of gadgets do you have in your garage that the neighbors can't resist?

My friend has got a go cart with a Honda Gold Wing engine in it that the kids love/fear.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not in our garage, but my video/dvd collection numbers in the hundreds.

Neighborhood kids love to come over and watch movies with my son and women love to come and watch movies with my wife(my stuff does not leave the house).

TOgether, my wife, my son, and I have about four thousand books covering all genres. Our library is also popular.

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Jalapenoman:

With all those DVDs you must have a home theater. Did you go with rear-projection, or are you a front-projector man? Or just a really huge tube set? Flat panel/plasma?

If your stuff never leaves your house, and your library is popular...sounds like Borders or Barnes and Noble.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
What things do I have that my neighbors can't resist?

Luckily, nothing. My neighbors would probably steal it before asking for it. And I'm not in the business of broadcasting what I do have.

Though...snowcones sound good.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Yeah, I guess you shouldn't advertise, especially on the web.

But I can advertise, because all my toys are used, junk, or salvaged junk, even my home theater.

How's this for a mode of operation: never own anything so fancy that you'd have to get mad at a kid if he dented it, broke it, or lost it.

Is there any joy to be had in owning junk? I say yes!

How many times has anyone thought of breaking into my house? Zippo!

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
A go-cart.

But I can't say that the neighbor's can't resist it -- because we have no neighbors. So we get to keep it all to ourselves!!! Bwah - ha- ha- ha.

However, if the kids have friend over, it is obviously the biggest magnet to them.

FG

edit: Thinking about it -- the go-cart if the biggest magnet if the friends are GUYS. If the friends are girls, then it is the horses (obviously).

[ June 08, 2004, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a volleyball net, but I don't get to set it up nearly as much as I'd like. Fortunately, I've found other places to play regularly!

I also have a pretty good sized movie collection, so I occasionally have friends over to watch them with me. I have a 48-inch wide-screen Mitsubishi TV complete with Bose surround sound and a nice sized sectional sofa in the basement to complete the viewing experience.

Not a bad bachelor pad, if I do say so myself. [Big Grin]

[ June 08, 2004, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: BlueJacsFan ]

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Holy cow, BlueJacsFan, that's quite a collection!

What is your favorite DVD for showing off your surround sound system? What DVD do you put on to stress the big-screen.

I installed a line doubler on my projector a couple of years ago, and I love to put on the Critereon edition of Charade. There are some old cars in that movie with lots of chrome, and the line doubler does something with the glare from polished chrome that is hard to describe.

BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got the surround sound a couple of weeks ago, so I haven't had a lot of opportunity to test it out yet. Though, I'm thinking I need to watch some Star Wars Episode II. Sonic Depth Charges. :drool: (Where is that smiley??)

But, I did just upgrade to HD with my cable company this week, and I must say that games 6 and 7 of the Stanley Cup Championships have been STUNNING. [Eek!]

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.