FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Garden lovers come in here--Ashley wants to grow stuff!

Author Topic: Garden lovers come in here--Ashley wants to grow stuff!
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about starting my own herb garden, mostly because I've been watching a lot of Food Network and a bunch of those cooks are big on using fresh herbs in cooking, but also because I'll be moving into my first apartment in a few months and I want something that smells nice.

I've used a lot of those in-a-jar dry seasonings--Tone's Italian, Canadian Steak, Rosemary Garlic, and Season Salt; Cavender's Greek seasonings, etc etc et all. The sad thing is that I don't really know what is in the Italian or Greek blends that I like so much, and all the label ever says is "Spices". Big help there.

As to skill...I've grown things before that survived to maturity, but I'm still pretty novice.

What am I asking for? Well, maybe a few ideas on what to grow and what would work best for a college student with a possible windowbox-type situation in a Utah apartment. I know I want some rosemary, mint, chives, and oregano, but am looking for ideas on a few others.

[ June 05, 2004, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Greek seasonings are usually oregano and thyme, and sometimes a nit of rosemary. Italian seasoning blends are usually oregano, basil, and thyme.

Rosemary should be easy in Utah. As long as it does not get forzen(it cannot handle even one frost), you can actually get a little tree to grow. Just keep it in the sun in a big pot.

Basil is also easy to grow in containers. I find I have best results when I start with a plant, rather than seed. Not sure why, but the plants get leggy fastrer. The important thing with basil is NOT to let it flower. Snip off the flower buds like mad, or it will get leggy, and the leaves small. Harvest the plant when the leaves are green and full, though it will continue to grow for a long time.

Oregano is also easy to grow in containers. however, you want true greek Oregano. Make sure you ask for it at an herb farm, which i bet you have out that way. Most oregano sold is really pot marjoram, which is a weaker taste.

Lavender is lovely, and can be used in cooking, or just as decoration. It is also very medicianal.

You are in a good place for those Mediterranean herbs, but they will not like the most extreme desert heat, so watch them. The best thing is to get pots on rollers, so you can easily move them around.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Basil. Basilbasilbasil. And I second Liz's warning to get Greek oregano. The flavor is much stronger. And add some sweet marjoram, because your fingers will smell nice when you touch it. (And it's really good on sweet corn.)
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
would you suggest getting a few planters or one big window box for all of them?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Just make sure and trim your "herbs" before they get tall enough for caring neighbors and the DEA to notice.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I think either pots or window boxes would be fine. Just make sure they have enough room. If they are more crowded, make sure they get the fertilizer they need. Go to some grenhouses and see some ofthe planters they have already set up. They are pretty with different herbs in one place.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
I reccomend beer.
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

If you have slugs, then beer is an excellent way to trap them, if you set out a bowl of it. Not many slugs in Utah, though, I bet.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Not much beer, either. [Razz]
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go with the basil absolutely. Fresh parsley is really good, too. You'll never want to go back to shaking parsley out of a canister again. If you like Mexican food, cilantro is another good herb for an indoor garden.

Finally, if you like Thai food, lemon grass works pretty well indoors or out. It smells great.

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the weird thing about Utah. They don't let you buy slug killer on Sunday. [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
You could also grow some mint, chives, and savory.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Herbs are easy and fun. Find a good book in the library (I'd go to the kid's section, actually) and get started!
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.