FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Chest cold

Author Topic: Chest cold
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I finally have picked up a bug somewhere. And I'm already starting to cough. My head is stuffy, and I feel like my throat is raw.

For 10 points, name the virus or bacteria causing it.

For another 10 points, guess the duration of this illness.

Winners will be posted after recovery or after the autopsy, whichever comes first. In case of autopsy, the illness duration will be judged as the time between 7 am CST June 6th, 05 and the official time of death as recorded in coroner's report. Judges decisions are final. (You can say that again!)

On the plus side, I get to indulge in my favorite movies -- it's my little "I don't fee good" treat to myself. For 50 points, guess which movies I shall be watching. Icarus, Cor and dkw are disqualified as they already know.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Sympathies, Bob.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a form of an alien invasion. You've been infected, and in 7 days, a new baby alien will burst you chest open and conquer the world.

Let's rejoice!

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Streptococcus, two weeks.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is the Love Bug, and it will last for the rest of your life, and beyond.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, DKW!!! I hope you didn't think I meant his being sick was due to you!!!!!!!!!! That is not how I meant it at all!!!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
No no no! The sad face was because he's sick.
Your post was funny!

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, phew.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Adenovirus. 7 days of feeling crappy, another 4 days of fatigue, and walking wounded to finish out the 2 weeks.

Rx: Vic's VapoRub

Take one hand of Dana to massage into chest as desired.

Dispense 2 hands

No refills.

[Wink]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Oh, yeah: Bob, stock up on cheap sugar-water popsicles. (Not any of those healthy, acidic "real juice" ones -- you want the funny colored ones. Trust me.)
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I think you left that movie at my house . . . [Embarrassed]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Bronchitis

Duration: depending on how long you take to visit a doctor.

If no doctor: 5 days of hacking and head-cold, followed by 1.5 weeks of hacking, with another week of coughing thrown in for good measure.

If medicated: 1.5 weeks, with the other .5 spent with the last dregs of the symptoms

Rx: Biaxin

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
The major projected plague of the 70's never really hit us, so let's revive it! You are the first person to ever actually suffer from Swine Flu. It will last ten days, after which there will be no healthy doctors or nurses left anywhere in the world to treat you and no one left well enough to feed you. At that point, you will begin to die of hunger, and we will all shortly follow.

As far as the movie: due to your disease, you are watching a marathon of Babe, Babe, Pig in the City, and Charlotte's Web.

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
So, right now, my current book is The Stand...
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
CT said:

quote:
Rx: Vic's VapoRub

By a strange coincidence, I gave Bob some almost identical advice on a different thread of his.

*may not be a doctor, but I know my drugs*

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
What is truly frightening, is that I too recommend sugary popsicles and the really really bad juices like Hi C and Hawaiian Punch in addition to certain OTC cold remedies, as well as Vicks Vaporub.

[High Fives CT]!

I've never heard another clinician recommend OTC popsicles, especially the funky sugar-water ones in all the bright dayglo colors. I personally buy mine in bulk at this cheesy local grocery store called "Mor For Less" (sic)

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bob, I am going to cure you by threat of my grandmother's cough remedy. You will stop coughing just thinking about it. I used to cough into my pillow so she would not hear me, but I would still hear her footsteps going to the kitchen, and then the clink-clink of the spoon against the glass as she made a mixture of:

One glass of warm water
One quarter CUP of vinegar
Tablespoon of honey.

No spoonfuls, just drink it down.
This is for the tickle kind of cough.

The worst thing about it was that it WORKED.

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the topic, saw that Bob was the author, and thought "Just put on a shirt, Bob."

Sorry you're sick, bud. Get better. And then visit your mom, and bring dkw along.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Must get better...

Icarus...the movies I'm watching are right here with me. But funny!!!

[Razz]

I'll give you all a hint:

Da da
dadada dahhh da
dadada dahhh da
dadada dah

[Razz]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you stay sick for a full year you can see the next one....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, I make the same thing, but with 2x the acid -- and I use lemon (or orange) juice instead of vinegar. Probably doesn't taste nearly as nasty!

For those wimps who can't handle it full-strength, dilute with more hot water -- or tea.

Feel better soon, Bob!

[ June 06, 2004, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
*licks Rivka's kitchen sink clean*

*smiles pridefully for a moment... then rushes headlong into the head*

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
2 things: If your chest is cold, take the ice off, for crying out loud, and put the bug down if you picked it up. Geez. No common sense whatsoever. [Razz]

Get well soon, Bob!

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Dun dun dun dundudun dundudun . . . [ROFL]

[ June 06, 2004, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I know that tune. I know it!! >.<

Get well soon [Smile]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Mry, try it with notes. dadada's are all same note. Then go "UP" on the dahhh's, and back down. That should get you close enough.

Although today I feel a bit better so I'm going to Harry Potter to celebrate.

Is it just me or are the movies out right now pretty sucky. We have Harry Potter and Shrek 2 and the rest of it looks like garbage (or I've already seen it, like Troy).

But I mean, "Soul Plane?" ????????

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Once again, Mr. Scopatz, you are skipping right over the prizes. You say you are better, and yet those who made predictions are prizeless.

I think the dum da dum thing is the Star Wars theme.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Well, no-one has gotten the name of the virus yet. It was a virus, though, not a bacterium.

Duration: I'm going with 24 hours, since I now feel mostly better. At least good enough to go see Harry Potter, if not to do the yard work I meant to do this weekend.

As for the movies: The Star Wars original trilogy, box set of the remastered version. Not the director's cut. But I'll give it to Liz because she actually said the words "Star Wars." I think Moose knew what it was. Icarus' guess doesn't count because he and I actually watched them together once and at that point he learned that these are the films I watch whenever I'm sick.

Okay, any guesses for the name of the virus?

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
influenza....2 weeks
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, if it was a true cold virus, those are mostly rhinoviruses, neh?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Thank you, Bob. I am sending you some music as a prize for finally giving a prize, and giving that prize to me.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The virus' name is Fred.

Although the judges would've accepted Frederick or Freddy as alternates.

Sorry, no points.

Since the virus has now migrated to my ear canal, the duration question has not yet been settled.

Stay tuned.

rivka
Member # 4859

Nononono!

Fred is the name of the carton of orange juice that my friend (an engineer, was in the Caltech dorms at the time) and his roomies had in their fridge for about 6 months . . .

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Since the virus has now migrated to my ear canal, the duration question has not yet been settled."

Ooh, Bob, that virus sounds very erie. I bet you are getting a guadal sympathy for it, though. I hope it suez your soul. What you need is a panama grandma's chicken soup.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we talking malaria?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
*stays out of thread*

*puts quarantine sign on door*

I have a singing exam in three days! I can't get sick!

*shoves get-well-soon card under the door*

My guess?

"Muchussickus", an illness that lasts for five days, when least wanted.

[ June 07, 2004, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

EBV. You got the mono, man?
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you feeling any better, Bob?

Sucks being sick.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've got it too. Bleh.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

I felt pretty bad yesterday, too, so in honor of you, Bob, I watched Star Wars. I then threw up in the evening. Sure wish I had the original non-Disnified version.

And yes, I knew it was Star Wars, but I've received enough points and prizes, so Elizabeth is welcome to them.

--Pop

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Thank you, Papa Moose, but I believe you were already disqualified from receiving a prize for this, anyway.

Plus, the prize I received is to send Bob music. It is sort of like Publisher's Clearing House.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Actually Moose was eligible, but he just hinted that he knew the answer and didn't actually say it.

I'm not sure which is the "Disnified" version. I have episodes IV - VI on VHS tape. This is the remastered version without any added scenes (like the silly Jabba the Hut wriggling around town looking 1/3 the size he should be.

It has improved sound and some of the scenes were reworked so that the sand & sky on Tatooine are definitely different colors (for example). But nothing too drastic in the way of fixes otherwise. You can still just make out the little opaque boxes around each of the fighters as they go through the scene. That kind of stuff.

I think the DVDs might be really really cool when released later this year. If Lucas took this long working on them, I bet they are really technically perfect. He probably blew and restored scenes though, and that extra stuff is usually just junk as far as I'm concerned.

Oh well, maybe they'll give us the option???

I have the version with the silly interview of Lucas by Leonard Maltin. It's basically something to use to get the tracking right before the movie starts. Lucas is babbling and they both act as if this stuff is "real!" It's a hoot.

Ela, I'm feeling much better, but not 100%. Probably 92% or thereabouts.

Rivka, sorry about the Fred thing. It's just his name, y'know. Nothing I can do about it.

[Razz]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Sorry, Pops, I guess you were eligible.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.