FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A laundry question

Author Topic: A laundry question
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wondered if it's better to wash my socks inside out or not. Usually when I take them off they get turned inside out and this is how they are washed. Yet I've been tolde to wash them non-inside out several times. Sure, this makes the outside nice and clean, but don't you want the inside to be clean, since that's where you put your foot in? I'm not lazy - I don't want to put my feet into cloth that hasn't been washed properly!

[Grumble]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute... it matters? I didn't know that.

[ June 04, 2004, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I am no laundry goddess or anything, but I have never heard of turning your socks inside out before. Who told you this?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
well the way i take them off they get flipped inside out all by themself. I'd demonstrate it - but it's kind of hard in text
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
He probably does what my kids do (which drives me nuts if they don't reverse it) -- just pulls the socks down from the tops. They end up inside out that way.

As far as getting them clean, unless you have some incredibly tightly-knit socks, or junk CAKED on the insides of your socks, I can't see how it could make any difference to wash them right-side-out.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

I have size 13 and my socks are meant for size 6-12 =/
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
I wash all of my clothes inside out. They seem to like it.

I wouldn't worry about it, Kaio. [Razz]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have size 13 and my socks are meant for size 6-12 =/
Hey, I resemble that remark.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

quote:

I wouldn't worry about it, Kaio.

All right! If kiwi says I don't have to worry then you KNOW I don't have to worry.
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, I was asking myself the same question when I did laundry this morning, since I also pull my socks down from the top, turning them inside out... not always, but usually. And I take my shirtf off from the bottom, pulling them over, and in turn, inside out. I wash things how they land in the washer, and they come out clean 'nuff. *shrugs*

D

Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
All my clothes enter the washer correct-side out. I amortize the time it takes to arrange them this way across every instance of throwing something in the hamper, rather than having to unfold each piece of clothing back-to-back when unloading the dryer. Same reasons I have separate laundry bags for whites, coloreds, and dry-cleans: it's a lot easier to spend 1/2 second a day putting things where they belong than performing a big insertion sort on wash day.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't matter which way the sock go in, the dryer still eats them.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All right! If kiwi says I don't have to worry then you KNOW I don't have to worry.
Damn skippy.
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Insertion sort <snort>

I used to wear my tshirts inside out every other time. That way you never have to turn them at all, and it's still right half the time. It was an effort to delay the heat death of the universe, that I was working on in college. I had a big push for slowing the increase of entropy for a while. I'm uniquely suited (by extreme laziness) for such an effort. Also when you wear t-shirts inside out, you can read the writing in the mirror, which is nice.

If your washer isn't getting both sides clean, then you need a new washer or to choose a longer wash cycle or something. Nothing short of tying them in knots should prevent them from getting clean inside and out.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

And if anyone would like to join my quest to slow the eventual heat death of the universe, there are many simple ways you can help in your everyday lives.

For instance, mow your lawn half as often, in the summertime, and take a nap during the times you would otherwise be mowing. The grass will not be that much longer, on average, but a huge amount of entropy will not be generated.

Taking naps, in fact, instead of doing other busy-work things, is a prime tool in the movement. Cats have pioneered the art of entropy-gain slowing. I learn from them daily.

In fact, all household chores can afford to be done half as often, using the time saved toward more naps. Join the movement today! It's the right thing to do!

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
Our family should get an award for supporting your ak's quest - we didn't mow the lawn at all since last summer until last weekend - the grass in the backyard was about 4 feet tall and one of my dogs was too frightened to go into it.

Richard Berg - you'd someone a good wife someday - talk about organised - I take my laundry downstairs once a day and dump it next to the basket where the laundry fairy (aka my Mum) comes along and sorts, washes, dries and returns clean to my bedroom.

Haven't had to do my own laundry since I moved back into the family home. My Mum has this thing about no-one else using the machine. My Dad shrunk all my brothers clothes when Mum was in hospital giving birth to me! [Big Grin] That was over thirty years ago and she still doesn't trust us!

I'm all for ak's movement too - down with housework! - more naps! - off to make up some placards!

[ June 05, 2004, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: cochick ]

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a laundry fairy for 17 years. I hated it -- she could fold/iron way better than I, but my clothes always disappeared into other siblings' closets or into neverland. Since striking out on my own I have only to appease the Sock Monster and inventory stays constant.

As for ironing, I have a simple litmus: most clothes will not wrinkle if you fold/hang them immediately after removing them from a hot dryer. Everything else goes to the cleaners.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Just through your socks away and buy new ones.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Summary of long years of laundry experience:

NEVER put a pair of red socks in the same load as white underwear.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Not if you actually like pink jockey shorts.

[Embarrassed]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]

As I said, not that there's anything wrong with that. [insert: silly pop culture reference [Wink] ]

Hey Stephen, my love and I might be able to make it to the blues fest next weekend. You and yours still going?

[ June 05, 2004, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

YES!!!!!

Tentatively, the plans go like this:

Diane is out of from Wednesday afternoon to Saturday evening.

I'm taking Friday off and going to the fest for the day.

On Saturday, I'll go for at least a few hours, but will have to make sure to leave early enough to make it back to Bensenville to pick Diane up at O'Hare.

Sunday, we both plan on going for the day.

Probably take the Metra in from Bensenville and take a bus from Union Station to get us close.

/thread hijack

rivka
Member # 4859

I like the way you think, ak!

I never iron. It's against my religion. In fact, I don't believe I currently own an iron -- my ex got it in the divorce.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

*wonders how many people besides me read this as meaning rivka hit her ex with the iron*

*figures that was the wrong interpretation as rivka has never mentioned being brought up on assault charges*

ak
Member # 90

Yes, rivka! I knew we shared religious convictions! I have considered ironing to be an offense against all that is sacred for years. My only concession is to hang things up when they're hot out of the dryer. Ironing is of the devil!
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I never iron. It's against my religion. In fact, I don't believe I currently own an iron -- my ex got it in the divorce.
What's an iron? [Razz] Seriously, I can't recall the last time I ironed a piece of clothing. Anything that wrinkles gets put on a hanger right out of the drier. Anyway, as my mom says, "It'll just wrinkle when you put it on and sit down, anyway". That logic works for me. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

BWAHAHAHAHA! [ROFL] [Laugh] sndrake

No, I never threw anything THAT heavy at him. [Evil]

quote:
Ironing is of the devil!
Absolutely!
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Great minds think alike. ak, you and I must have been posting right about the same time. [Smile]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.