FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Woohoo! (Now with EVEN MORE Woohoolicious News)

Author Topic: Woohoo! (Now with EVEN MORE Woohoolicious News)
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Just heard from the credit union that they pre-approved our mortgage application. The market is so hot here that you can't make an offer that includes a finance contingency, so this was the necessary first step to buying a house for Eve and me. We were worried about how they'd treat my income while I'm in law school, but apparantly they're fine with it.

Planning a wedding and buying a house in a summer where I have no weekdays off starting Monday until the day before the wedding. Are we nuts?

Dagonee

[ June 13, 2004, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Dag! [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you're nuts, but that's a good thing in this case. Congrats!
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Planning a wedding and buying a house in a summer where I have no weekdays off starting Monday until the day before the wedding. Are we nuts?
And you are in law school?

No that is not nuts. Finding the time to still post on Hatrack as prolific as you do IS nuts! [Hail]

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I've had a month off, and my sweetie's been working.

That will change soon. Hopefully I'll be in court most of the time and won't be able to post at all.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new around here, but congrats on the house loan, and the impending doo---- er um wedding. [Big Grin]

Perhaps the lack of time to plan the wedding will work in your favor. No long hours standing in the bridal salon waiting for Eve to select the wedding dress and/or bridesmaid's dresses can't be a badk thing, right?

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
You are certifiably insane.

Congratulations! [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great Dag!

So what kind of house are you two looking for?

(I forget where you live)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Thanks, everyone!

We're looking in Northern Virginia near the intersection of I-66 and the Beltway. It's convenient for Eve's job, and puts me within commuting distance of 5 prosecutor's offices in Virginia, one in DC, and 3 in MD, plus a lot of law firms if I can't get a prosecutor job.

We're looking for a townhouse or single-family home with at least 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and 2 separated living areas (living room and a family room or rec room). We want a house that will be comfortable through 2 kids. The market is absolutely nuts right now, but we really need to get out of this apartment and into a home as soon as possible.

Dagonee

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I imagine it is hard finding a home in that area.

My younger sister and her husband have a house over there (Fairfax, I think?) because he works for Exxon-Mobil, but are currently renting it out because they have him working in Chicago for three years (so they are living up there), but they will be moving back to your area in one more year, I think.

I might eventually get out that way to visit them in the future after they have moved back (I have visited them in Chicago while they are up there -- it is closer). So if I ever do -- we will look you up.

It is this sister and her husband that gave our family our first OSC book one Christmas....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

If his house is near Exxon-Mobile, then it's just south of where we'll be looking. They're smart to keep the house. Even though I think the prices will slow down, I don't think they'll be a huge drop in the market.

Please do look us up if you visit here. It's a fun area.

quote:
It is this sister and her husband that gave our family our first OSC book one Christmas....
So she's obviously cool.

Dagonee

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Dag. I remember the time I got 66 mixed up with the Dulles access road and my friends were all so mad at me.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oooh, bad news, especially at rush hour. Not impossible to correct, but not fun.

Dagonee

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'll piggy back on my own good news thread - I just got my assignment for the DC US Attorney's internship (which starts Monday - way to give me notice). It's Superior Court, Felony Section, which was my first choice. I'll get to second chair a lot, prepare motions, and see complete trials. Major Crimes gives you more glamorous cases, but I wouldn't get to see any from start to finish in one summer.

Dagonee

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great! Congratulations. [Smile]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - all sorts of good news!
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, Dag. That's great! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee - you remind me of dagwood from blondie. I don't know why.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, congrats! Good news all over the place! [Big Grin]

Just one tiny problem:
quote:
That will change soon. Hopefully I'll be in court most of the time and won't be able to post at all.
quote:
which starts Monday - way to give me notice
*sad* No more Dagonee starting Monday?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Not no more - just maybe once an evening.

I can't give this place up - I'm hooked.

Dagonee

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Dagonee - you remind me of dagwood from blondie. I don't know why.
Because my hair sticks out and I like big sandwiches? [Big Grin]

Dagonee

Dagonee
Member # 5818

OK, we're putting an offer on a house today. It has hideous carpets and hideous wallpaper, but the location and layout is very nice. We're keeping our offer low enough to have a budget to strip wallpaper, paint, and recarpet.

There's a good chance we won't get it - there's a lot of interest, and even though we'll offer more than the asking price, we'll probably be outbid. So I'm trying not to get my hopes up while at the same time trying to maintain enthusiasm for all the paper work.

Further bulletins as events warrant.

Dagonee

rivka
Member # 4859

Good luck!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, heady times! I hope you have success with your offer.

Congrats on the pre-approval by the way.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's hoping, ~~~~~~~~~~Dagonee~~~~~~~~~~
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Dag. Congratulations on all the other great stuff happening!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
sounds great! They prob ignored your current salary in hopes that once you graduate it will go way up. With those types of long term loans they think towards the future in addition to the present.

I hope the house bid works out.

[ June 13, 2004, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: Lupus ]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

OK. We went to meet the agent to write the offer for the paisley house, and we saw a new listing in the same neighborhood. Slightly smaller, no paisley on the walls, very nice deck, so we made an offer on it.

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth over the inspection contingency (which we were not going to give up on), we ratified the sales contract at 10:11 PM EDT.

Barring nasty surprises, we'll be homeowners again on July 12, 2004.

Woohoo!

Dagonee

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Dagonee!

Tony and I are in the middle of getting pre-approval for our first home loan to buy a three bedroom house...

And we're getting married this summer...

And I'm in law school...

[Eek!]

Are you sure you're not me?!

Congrats though - I hope our application goes as well...

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
"if it quarbles like a quark, it's probably a quark. or the next-tier down, the nearest particulate conservative spinster - the dwarque"

-- flish

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Congrats to Dagonee/imogen! [Big Grin]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Tony and I are in the middle of getting pre-approval for our first home loan to buy a three bedroom house...

And we're getting married this summer...

And I'm in law school...

[Eek!]

Hmmm. If we were in the Hatrack 3-year-old clique, I'd have to say:

"Stop copying me."
"Stop copying me."
"Stop copying me."
"Stop copying me."
"Stop copying me."
"Stop copying me."

But instead I'll say, "Congratulations to you two, too!"

Yay us.

Dagonee

P.S., fallow, I think I need more beer before I can understand what you just said.

P.P.S., Thanks, rivka!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.