FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Catch-22

Author Topic: Catch-22
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
The latest book I've embarked upon is the novel Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. I'm about half way through the book and so far the story seems pretty pointless. Sure there is humor in the dialect, but the plot is very uninteresting as of midway through the book. I know it's considered a 'classic,' but is anything going to happen in the story??
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
No.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I read that book about two years ago, and I really enjoyed it. I mean really. It was hilarious.

And yes, a lot happens. It's just that the timeline is all screwed up, so that you only get passing references to events early in the book, then get to see the actual events more fully as the book progresses. It's pretty convoluted.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright good! Then I will continue with it - I find it hilarious as well [Big Grin]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
An excellent book, ignore the slav.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

slav [Dont Know] [Confused]
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
slav = Kama

---

Catch-22 is wonderful. The last five pages make everything worth it, even if you hate all that came before (I didn't.).

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Pay attention, kaioshin, the interweaving chapters and timelines are the most frustrating aspects, but there is an over-arching theme that doesn't really come into focus until the end and only if you are involved the story. Keep reading.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I had issues (to the point of quitting it) with slogging through the first 2/3 of the book. When I finally read it through, the end is just amazing prose.

Good stuff.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

thanks, guys, for inspiring me to continue reading [Big Grin]
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Then help him! Help him!
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I'm so cold...
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
I----have written----the book----, but----they------naked--------socks--------lime green panties----------Italy--------P.F.C. Wintergreen----------Major------Major.

(edited for publication by Washington Irving)
(proofread for publication by Irving Washington)

P.S. One of the top ten works of fiction of all time (even though the sequel was one of the worst ten works of fiction ever).

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

there is a sequel??!!
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
The sequel to Catch 22 is called Closing Time. It chronicles the lives of Yossarian and some of the other characters about 45 years after their WWII experiences. It is not up to par with Catch 22 and is a pretty boring read.
Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the lime green panties. [Monkeys] Though I don't know if lime green is supposed to reference the inside of a lime or the outside of a lime. I didn't read all the book, though, but then our AP English class watched the movie.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Catch-22 is like Wayside School for grownups, only it has a message...Joseph Heller and Louis Sachar have both perfected the technique of pursuing nonsense as if it were sense.

I love that book. (Catch-22, not Wayside School...) Everyone should read it.

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

OK so I finished reading Catch22 today, and I've heard from you guys that the sequel isn't up to par. But I do want to know what happens to Yossarian and friends later in their life, so can someone ... tell me?
katharina
Member # 827

What did you think of the book?

I think Yossarian is old and crotchety in the next book...

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it...there was just a lot of humor in the whole book
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

The seque1 starts out kind of normal but gets really wierd. If I remember correctly, it takes place in NYC. Yossarian is hired for some reason by a now rich Milo (of course he would be rich). At the end of the book, there is some kind of strange fantasy about death and riding a big roller coaster under the city. Much of the book seems to dwell on homeless people living under the city. I spent over $20 on the hardback the day it came out, and donated it to a library the day after I finished reading it. I lived the first, and loathed the sequel.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.