FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I finally saw Kill Bill vol 2

Author Topic: I finally saw Kill Bill vol 2
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
***POTENTIAL SPOILERS***

Finally saw it here on the 2nd to last day before the theater drops it and you know what, I liked the 2nd one even better than the first, which was OK. The only major problem I have with vol 2 is that she didn't fight Bill!!

The two movies were named "Kill Bill." Both movies never let you get 1 minute without reminding you what her final goal was. But yet, when we get to it, the fight with Bill is not a fight at all. Maybe the directors thought this would be thoughtful and clever, but I think they went too far by denying a suitable climax. Did anyone else get this? I really really really wanted to see an intricate and interesting duel between Thurman and "Bill."

[ May 31, 2004, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: BrianM ]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. Let me introduce you to a friend of mine:

*SPOILERS*

You two should get on famously once you become more acquainted.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
oh my goodness, so sorry, I guess I didn't think anyone else here who wanted to see it hadn't seen it yet, I have such a low opinion of how fast I keep up with current movies/music.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers

I just saw it myself, and was surprised more than anything that there wasn't a huge Crazy 88 style fight scene between her and Bill.

Or, for that matter, between her and the cowboy, or her and eye-patch (I forget their names.)

But man, that buried-alive scene was masterfully done. Even fully-certain she'd come out of (that part) alive and kicking, it still had me shivering.

I enjoyed both, and will (eventually) watch both again. But I've never been a huge fan of QT's, and these films were no exception. It was a (sort of, I was kinda looking forward to it) pleasant surprise that the second film had less elaborate fight-scenes than the first, though.

And I couldn't help but think that Pai Mai screwed Kiddo. She landed two (totally ineffective) blows, and he didn't bow and call her master. Also, I think he wouldn'tve let his food out of his sight. But eye-patch's end was delicious poetic justice.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
********* SPOILER********

If you watch David Carradine closely throughout the movie, he's always sitting or leaning on something. He only walked without leaning twice, and both times he went no farther than five feet. The man has abused his body so much though the years, there was no way he could have done a spectacular fight scene at the end.

I loved the scene with her and Pai Mai, him flipping his beard about and that little camera wiggle on the close-ups, hilarious. [Big Grin]

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
<<<<<<SPOILERS>>>>>>>

The thing is, after seeing that her child is still alive, and that she thinks of Bill as her daddy, (which, I guess, he is) Beatrix knows that if she kills Bill in a terrible, bloody type way, her daughter will never forgive her. It hurt her enough to kill him in that way. She wouldn't have been satisfied if she'd torn him limb from limb, it would have been even worse. She still loved him. It's just one of those things that to me, made it a good series of movies.

The climax came in the fact that she knew the special attack. I guess perhaps QT wanted to pay some more homage to all those Hong Kong movies that he drew from, many of which end in very similar ways.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.