FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's 2AM in Kyoto

Author Topic: It's 2AM in Kyoto
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I just spent a part of my morning looking for a way to contact an old friend of Ron's and mine from college. We lost track of him after we moved from Chicago. We had been hoping to teach English in Japan and had kept in touch with him for about five years after graduation.
Then my father died and I was needed back home because of my mother's health.This was about the time of the Kyoto earthquake, too, so we worried that maybe he was dead.

I sent a letter to the address the Alumni office had for him, but I knew it was old when I sent it.

His name is Tadashi Takahashi, which is like John Smith is in America (or so Tadashi claimed). The only thing I could think of to narrow the pool was possibles was that he was a Christian. His father was a Japanese minister of the Christian faith, so I tried a seach with his name and 'Christian'. I came up with a link to the Kansai Seminar House in Kyoto, which is related to the Nippon Christan Academy-- both institutions/places that Tadashi had either mentioned or stayed at one point or another when we were in contact with him.

So, I sent an email to the Seminar House. It is listed on several websites of international Christian organizations as a possible contact point for Christains travelling abroad, so I hope my email will not cause too much confusion. In any case, we were able able to find reference to him as director there as recently as December '03, and we know he is (or at least WAS) very fluent in English.

But we can't expect an answer for possibly days, and I'm so anxious to find out about him now! He was a dear friend, especially to Ron. His influence has a lot to do with our current Anime fascination (he gave us tapes of Kiki's Delivery Service and Nausicca of the Four Winds -- in Japanese without subtitles-- nearly 15 years ago, and that's what started it all).

Now We're going to my mom's house this weekend, and we just sent our Bulgarian House Guest off on his six month bike trek around Europe and Japan (Ron literally just left to take him to the airport).

I'm beside myself and I don't even know why. [Smile]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
It's 1035am in California. [Smile] [Wave]
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww... ((Oliveta))

*it's 1:20pm in Detroit*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nausicca of the Four Winds
Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind [Wink]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read the manga to it? I sent the first one to Jenny G...
She can spread it around if she wants to because EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THAT MANGA...
*wonders if she wants to borrow the second one*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Dave, the only version I've ever seen of that Anime is in Japanese without subtitles, so BITE ME. [Big Grin]

No I have not seen the Manga. Honestly, I've had trouble getting a lock on Manga that would interest me. I have the first issue of X 1999 and my brother-in-law has a couple of the dvds of the Anime version (beautiful but ... totally inscrutable, at least in the beginning).

I think Ron has the manga of Akira, but we generally don't have much.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. You might just like Nausicaa... The art is just gorgeous and it's action packed too...
Also it makes the story denser...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Cool! Who carries it, do you know?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.