FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help the maths idiot with his market-research! Fun for the whole family!

Author Topic: Help the maths idiot with his market-research! Fun for the whole family!
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe not.

If I was to say that a market had grown from 7 businesses to 15 in a certain period of time, what percentage growth does that show?

And how would you work it out?

I really wish I'd paid attention in school. But hey, I'm a musician. Sue me, but you won't get much money. [Wink]

[ May 27, 2004, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Troubadour ]

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a business person but I don't think thats how growth is usually given. Don't people usually say that the market has grown by $X.xx amount and in this time y new business opened?

Directly though: 7*x = 15 => 15/7*100 = growth. Evaluation is left as an exercise for the student (mostly because sevenths are ugly.)

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The growth is 15-7=8.

Percentage growth is growth divided by original size, of 8/7 = 1.1428 = 114.28%

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
HE, you need to subtract a one in there - then it works out the same as my formula.

You're calculation gives the percentage of the original that the new value is, not the percentage of growth.

FOr example, something that grows from 2 to 3 had 50% growth, not 150%. Something that doubles in size has 100% growth, not 200%.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
doh. Thanks.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dagonee!
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If I was to say that a market had grown from 7 businesses to 15 in a certain period of time, what percentage growth does that show?
You know, more importantly, that whole question really makes one wonder what you are majoring in. It's obviously not math related, and it can't be English related. What does that leave? Are you there on a sports scholarship? Statements contrary to fact, always use opposite verb form. If I were to say that. . .

[edit to say, you know I'm just messing with you, right? [Kiss] ]

[ May 27, 2004, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
In marketing we would be exact--kinda.

"This business has more than doubled within the last six months! Why, within another year, who knows how big this can be. That's why you need to get in on the ground floor right now.

How many shares of stock would you like sir?"

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.