FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Value of Beauty: Porcelain

Author Topic: Value of Beauty: Porcelain
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
In my last musical discussion, I focused on a song that epitomized the truth and emotion of nostalgia (Scenes from an Italian Restaraunt, for those who don't remember).

In keeping with the emotion-based music, I'd like to examine a song that's about...well...about:

That feeling of hope, sadness, and desire when you break up. That feeling of this is for the best--why does it hurt so much?

It's a very gentle emotion, tinged with pain and shock.

And the band Moby manages to capture it in musical form.

Porcelain

Get it. Listen.

At first, you'll hear a techno enhanced violin. Moments later, a rattle and steady beat join it. Then a very subtle flute. Then a piano.

The words are fine and simple.

quote:

In my dreams I'm dying all the time
As I wake its kaleidoscopic mind
I never meant to hurt you
I never meant to lie
So this is goodbye
This is goodbye

After the first stanza, the odd and pleasant meddle continues into the utterly best portion of the song.

The violin swells up, accompanied by the piano and a singer in the background.

As a whole, the song has very few words--only enough to guide the listener through the emotional matrix conjured by the quaint and delicate music.

[ May 25, 2004, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Phanto ]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Phanto, I love these threads. I don't have many comments, but I highly enjoy reading them.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
"Let me fall...
If I fall"

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I like that album quite a bit. I think my favorite song off it is "Everloving." The way the song just keeps building takes my breath away.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.