FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Dumb and Irrelevent Question

Author Topic: A Dumb and Irrelevent Question
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Here goes.

I remember a scene from some movie in which one character made it seem as though he had grabbed the moon from the sky like it was a coin and then made it walk between his fingers.

I can't remember for the life of me what movie this is, be it something from ROTK or Pirates of the Carribbean or what, and it's seriously bugging me. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I dont think its ROTK, but I don't know where it's from.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I think it's fairly recent, it was some pretty heavy CGI, obviously.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh oh! I remember that scene! now...what was it!

It was fairly recent

Farmgirl
(and it really wasn't heavy CGI -- it was just that he was like doing a "magic trick", making the coin appear in his hand like a magician, but he framed his hand around the moon so the angle made it look that way).. Isn't that right?

[ May 25, 2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's on the tip of my brain.....
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's the same movie as that "It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it!" quote.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, lets eliminate the possibilities.

It's a fantasy/romance.

1) Im pretty sure it wasn't Bruce Almighty.
2) It wasn't Moulin Rouge.
3) It wasn't a cartoon, CG or regular.
4) It wasn't a low key movie, if most of us remember it.
5) I'm pretty sure it wasn't Big Fish.

[ May 25, 2004, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if it might be that made-for-tv movie Merlin.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not vouching for the reliability of this, but at the bottom of this page they say it was the TV miniseries Merlin.

quote:
Merlin: This TV series contains a scene where Merlin reaches out, grabs the moon and does a brief Walk Down with it. I don't think he really uses the moon ;-)
Dagonee
Edit: Beaten by MPH! [Frown]

[ May 25, 2004, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Thats it. Thats the one!
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah. I just returned from Google with a link to this site, but I've already been beaten by two people.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't there something like that in the book American Gods as well?
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

That's kinda funny that I am right. That was a pretty low-key movie.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I also thought American Gods, then realized it's not a movie.

Yet.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes there is, I'm reading it now!! ^_^

And yeah, no movie...

Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
it's from Merlin, a tv movie from a few years ago. Merlin is talking to Nimue about the concept behind the round table, using the moon as an example. I love that movie!

[ May 25, 2004, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but... I remember that scene and I never saw the Merlin movie. What am I thinking of then??
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

You're thinking of Bruce Almighty. Mystery Solved. That will be one large cheese pizza.
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
BEST MOVIE EVER!!! [Big Grin]

I love that movie soooo much... it's not even funny hehe (yes, I realize the irony of saying it's not funny and then laughing [Razz] ). I wish we'd bought that one but I'm pretty sure we just rented it a few times. [Frown]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure it's from Merlin. There is a similar scene in Bruce Almighty in which Bruce creates, then removes a few stars (no doubt freezing out all life on their planets) and pulls the moon down closer. You might be confusing them somehow.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(no doubt freezing out all life on their planets)
It's just a movie...
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have sword I didn't see that seen, but when it comes out as being from "Merlin" I did see that. But I may not have watched all of it. I thought of "Bruce Almighty" at once. The part in "Bruce Almighty" was, of course, an homage to an older movie his girlfriend was watching. I think it was "It's a Wonderful Life".

I"ve always preferred to pinch my teachers' heads between my fingers.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'm crushing your head!
Book
Member # 5500

Thanks, that was it. Man, I just couldn't think of it.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I never watched the miniseries, and I remember seeing it. I'm assuming it was in the incessant commercials for the thing (I even saw some in front of movies at the theater). No marketer will pass up the opportunity to show some heavy CGI in an ad.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
So what's the reference in American Gods? (I don't have my copy handy.) And is it possible for someone to 'remember' the scene vividly enough to confuse it with having seen a movie, even if they only read it?

(I vaguely remember the scene, possibly from Merlin -- never saw Bruce Almighty -- and while I have read Gods, I don't remember the reference.)

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
It was the tv movie Merlin. He is sitting in the prison cell with Isablella Rossalini and he takes the moon and rolls it between his fingers, then puts it in his hand, and when he opens it, its back in the sky.

[ May 27, 2004, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Rhaegar The Fool ]

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.