FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Well, Now I've Done It.

Author Topic: Well, Now I've Done It.
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Gradu-na-mated, that is [Big Grin]

Half a decade, and a change of majors, and I finally have a BFA in Film and Television. I always thought it was trite when people say that the college years are the years of self discovery and change. Well, I've discovered that, at least for me, that this saying was actually a truth in so many many different ways.

People who knew me in High School would barely recognize the New Me. And while in some cases, many would think that's not such a good thing, in my particular case, it's a positive thing. In High School, I was the Bookworm-ish Recluse. The only real associates I made were in the Marching Band, and those I had the 'team kinship', but I didn't allow myself to let any of the aquaintances proceed any further into real friendships.

This was completely my fault.

In hindsight, there were many people who tried to be my friend, and I just wouldn't let them. There's a good chance that I was subconciously not wanting to make any new bonds that could be quickly ripped away - a bit of a residue from my previous traumatic mid-year move that came on the heels of just bonding with an incredible group of people (one imparticular) who were the text book definition of what a friend should be. Better, actually.

So I was quiet. Reclusive. DREADED speech class.

Now if you get me talking, just TRY and shut me up. I talk in front of large groups without batting an eyelash now.

I'm a new me, and I like the new me, and am looking forward to progressing in this new me-ness, and making something of it.

Here's to the next few years, as I try to get myself established in a career.

Wish me luck. And, if you wish, I'd gladly accept prayers as well.

To all the Jatraqueros (and, of course, the Cards), I say thank you. Especially those 'online aquaintances' who have since become 'real life friends'. You've been every bit as influential as my hang-out buddies in town.

I slapped my forehead as our Commencement speaker ended with the trite "Today is the first day of the rest of your life", but bloody hell, it's true.

And I'm ready to live it.

I think Captain Picard said it best: "Engage."

[ May 22, 2004, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Captain and Tenille said it best in their song...

Do That To Me One More Time.

<it's a grad school hint>

<go back to school> [Eek!]

<get advanced degrees> [Eek!]

j/k

Congratulations to you and all the graduating Jatraqueros/as out there!

Wonderful!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! [Smile]
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

[And to Bob: thumbs up, dude. [Wink] ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Dave!!! [Big Grin]

[The Wave]

[Party]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
*leads standing ovation and cheers loudly*

good luck and best wishes for the future - hope you find a career you enjoy.

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] Congrats Taalcon!

*and keep playing your instrument, man!*

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
WOO congrats

[Party]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! Congratulations! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it great that one of the memories of your last weeks of college is getting naked in the ocean with internet people? I'm glad it's one of my last memories of college.

(Hey, once you're out of college, people tend to be less supportive of such activities, although I don't know why.)

Congrats, dude. [Cool]

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Dave! Prayers and best wishes for the new you, and all the new yous to come! [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
sn't it great that one of the memories of your last weeks of college is getting naked in the ocean with internet people?
pix pls.

(Congrats, Taal. [Smile] )

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
<--has seen pics.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs*

Dave, that's awsome.

"Make it so."

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- logged a request for pix beforehand
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! How wonderful [The Wave]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Taal. Or should that be Ta'al? Either way, live long and prosper. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, isn't that a Britney song?
Oh, and a lot of good my degree did me.

Congratulations, Taalcon!

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Dave!

*goes to find a bottle of wine and a paperclip*

oh, wait...;-)

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs*
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! You've done good lad! I hear McDonalds is looking for help -- and it looks as if you've achieved all the qualifications you need! [Razz]

Seriously, congratulations! I wish you the best! Fet out there and show Spielberg how it's really done!

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
spielberg was never a voyeur.
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations. [Hat]

Now get a job, you! [Razz]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Lord. What kind of job are you qualified for now? (Seriously, I'm wondering. My husband has a degree in Theater and Film, English and Advertising. Not that he ever did any with them. I've always wondered what the heck one would do with a Film degree. After he got his, he went back to school for Advertising and just happened to have the credit hours for the English.)
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
What kind of job are you qualified for now?
To be a writer for film and television, of course. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Which you can be if you are 13 and uneducated. So why bother spending the money on college? I just never understood it. You've either got "it" or you don't. A college degree in Film ain't gonna help. I have to say, though, the Advertising degree was my idea. I figured he could actually make a living and get maybe work his way in through the backdoor. You know, creating commercials, being on the set when they were filmed, directing commercials. . . you see where it's going. It was such a good theory and he is absolutely brilliant, creatively. He just can't stand to be around "that" kind of people, by which I think he means yuppies/upper middle class suburbanites, which is really all advertising is filled with. [Wall Bash] Stupid men.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like that movie...
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I think Taal knows what he's doing.
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Taalcon/Dave!

It's weird that I feel so proud of you, but I do. The world needs your talent, man. [Smile]

OT- The Boys were in a commercial and some other stuff filmed this past weekend. It was for a political campaign add, and they talked like they planned to feature the footage of Robert being all studious/serious. They both surprised us by taking direction really well. *shrug*

So, Congrats again!

[Party]

*sends paper clips and fizzy grape juice*

[ May 25, 2004, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Olivetta ]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

quote:
I think Taal knows what he's doing.
Which is why I asked him what one could do with that degree.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Dave! That's most exciting! [Cool] [Big Grin] [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
i second that nekkid beach thing being one of better memories of my senior year (part 1).

Congratulations my light skinned african brotha.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
I am SO glad this got bumpped to the top, because I really shouldn't be here and wouldn't have caught it.

Dave: Yay! Yay and Yay! Congratulations on so many levels. I'm going to be gone for the next couple of weeks, but I really want to see your senior project.

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.