FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Doggie OCD

Author Topic: Doggie OCD
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Can dogs have it? Our dog is a fox terrier, and I know terriers tend to be hyper, blah, blah, blah. He actually is a lovely and well-behaved dog, and incredibly intelligent. However, he's a wee bit obsessed with his tennis balls. He will literally play fetch for over an hour with no breaks. When you tell him no, he stalks you by following you around the house with the ball in his mouth and dropping it every 2 seconds until he finally gives up. Sometimes he actually falls asleep with a tennis ball in his mouth. So, either he has OCD, or he is just a total weirdo.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I just skimmed this. You might find it useful in trying to figure out what is up with your dog.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in Dogs

quote:
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in dogs, also called OCD, is a behavior that seems out of context, odd, and directed towards objects, be it the dog himself, or an inanimate object such as a food dish, or wheeled things like cars, bikes, or strollers.

OCD often manifests itself in dogs who are stressed, anxious, or bored, and can be a very maddening experience for the owner. These behaviors can often result in destruction of items, yards, angry neighbours, and seemingly uncontrollable aggression. Obsessive digging, continuous biting at their own feet, barking at nothing, attacking inanimate objects, all are symptoms of OCD.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info. Well, according to that article, I guess it's not OCD. He's not anxious at all, just a happy-go-lucky dog. So that means he's a weirdo, which I suppose fits in nicely with our family.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I had a lab that loved to chase a stick. Any stick. And if you threw it somewhere she couldn't get it (like on the roof) she'd stand there for a minute making sure it wasn't coming down, and then go find a new stick.

She'd fetch it for as long as you'd throw it...once I decided to find out if she'd ever get bored with it...she wore me out...and DH, and Dan...and was still wanting us to throw the thing.

OTOH, she was in top physical condition...all that running kept her in very good shape.

Personally, though, I always thought she was a little nuts. [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Boon, your dog sounds like mine. If we're outside and a tennis ball isn't available, then he finds a stick. Sure he's healthy, but I'm worried about the massive bicep muscle I'm getting from all the throwing. [Smile]

space opera

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about dogs, but my ferret definitely has obsessive grooming disorder.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be partially boredom but my dog Jake does the exact same thing. The most disturbing way from being aroused from sleep (short of a fire) is to have a slobbery wet tennis ball shoved in the nape of your neck.

I think it is like a child, or even adult. We all have our favorite activities we enjoy, and some we like more than others. Many dogs have neural pathways where this is just one of the things they like to do.

Of course we've just taken to hiding all his tennis balls when he gets too annoying. He normally figures out where they are within a couple days.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Every fetching dog I've seen does that. So, either your dog doesn't have OCD, or every dog in the world does.

And I'd just like to say that, if I ever learn to play an instrument and start a band (and I won't), I'm going to name it "Doggie OCD".

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Goat, I think it would be an excellant name for a band. Just make sure your first album is titled, "I love to fetch!!!!!!"

space opera

cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
Sally, one of my dogs was like this but unfortunately she's too old (14 in August) and tired to play very long now. Its scary to think she's not going to be here for long. So appreciate them while you can.

Space opera - big biceps means no flabby underarms - be grateful - and get throwing with the other arm too or your'll look lopsided.

I got my other dog Barney in 2002 when a friend died and he's the same age as Sally but a mongrel and has much more energy. He didn't know how to play when we got him and learned chasing balls, sticks play fighting etc. from Sally. Just shows you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.