FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help with a computer question, is this worth a crap?

Author Topic: Help with a computer question, is this worth a crap?
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this computer at local Walmart. LINK I know it isn't the greatest computer but my question is this. Is it worth the money. My laptop is such a load of crap and I really want a computer I can count on to surf the net, download my camera, check e-mail and use office. I'm not a big PC gamer so that isn't a huge concern although I may throw a few games on it, but mostly I want it for the other stuff. I was also figuring that if this thing crapped out in a year or two I hadn't spent a great deal of cash on it so no big deal. Opinions? (here, at Hatrack? No way, no one ever has any of those [Roll Eyes] )
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot see any indication that it comes with Windows. WalMart sells some computers that come with linux, and you might not want that.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats weird. Most computers at any store I've seen come with windows. Either 98, 2000, or XP. If in the event that windows wasn't included, they sell it seperatly(that sucks).
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
You could get a better one at internet i shop for cheaper if you don't mind installing some of the programs yourself...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of that too, mph, but in the full description it lists Windows XP Home.

Compaq Presarios have a very checkered history, so I wouldn't recommend it, but so long as you ONLY do web, email, office apps, you might be okay.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
*I* wouldn't. Because of the processor. Celerons just don't have the horsepower like they did when they first came out when stacked against the AMD/P4 processors.
For really the same price, you can get a Dell P4 2.66 GHZ. You can upgrade the Ram cheaper that Dell will for you unless they have a special that will upgrade it for free.

I got this Dell for 519 after the rebate. Model 2400 Dimension. 80 gig HD. I already had a monitor so I ditched the free one that came with it and upgraded the HD with the savings of having no monitor. I'll be adding 512 Ram for about 80 bucks (minus rebate)in a few weeks and adding a PCI Vid card (down side is no AGP slot) after that for about another 70 after rebates.

Another downside to the one you linked to is its a Compaq. Unless they've changed in the last 3 years, those are VERY proprietary. Meaning if you want to upgrade later, you are limited in the parts you can use in your system.

These are my opinions coupled with some experience I've had working on computers

Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
It comes with XP Home, it'd be good enough for anything you need, and book: the new celerons are all a completely different chip from the old ones, they work well enough. It'd be a useable computer for you, however saying that you do have a computer that could tie you over for a few days, you can get a better deal straight from the Dell website for a comperable/better computer.
(for instance: Go to Dell Business, Choose Dimension 2400 at $399 >Select 17 in (16.0 in v.i.s., .27dp)E773c Monitor. Total is $499 - $100 rebate = $399 with free shipping)

Also, proprietary parts aren't a problem with desktops anymore, it's cheaper for computer makers to get generic parts and throw the computer together than it is to design their own.

Satyagraha

[ May 17, 2004, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: BYuCnslr ]

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.