FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Delayed Reaction to American Idol: What a classy woman

Author Topic: Delayed Reaction to American Idol: What a classy woman
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
La Toya was voted off American Idol last week.

She is the best, or tied with Fantasia for the best.

However, in the long view, I think it was good that she was voted off much earlier than she should have been. This is because she was able to showcase her true talent: being a class act.

She stood up there and accepted her defeat with more poise and dignity than I have ever seen. There is something about that woman. She has an inner peace that shines through all aspects of her personality.

I wish her luck in her career, but she doesn't really need it. She will shine wherever she is.

[ May 16, 2004, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"She stood up there and accepted her defeat with more poise and dignity than I have ever seen."

Somewhere, in some tiny Asian village, an old man has just looked up from his mandala and cocked an ear to the east. "The world," he says, as he turns to his alarmed disciples, "is seriously out of joint."

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, Tom. Good one.

This is what it says about the ridiculous voting system:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=9&u=/ap/20040516/ap_on_en_tv/tv_american_idol_5

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
More dignity than Will Hung?
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ah, the man whose very name is a pun. Yes, even more dignity than he has. Ha ha.
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
I would of had more respect if she would of commented on the booing crowd.
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

Hides head in shame, but we actually wrote American Idol a letter.
quote:
We have been huge fans of American
Idol and have watched it every week. We have even
voted for who we thought should be the next American
Idol.

HOWEVER, that has all changed. We are now boycotting
your show.

Our reason is NOT because we think the real talent is
being unfairly voted off, but rather, the judges utter
disregard for respect.

We recognize that Simon (and to a smaller degree Paula
and Randy) must be sarcastic and that plays an
entertaining role (and we have been entertained), but
when the judges did not respond to the crowds booing,
well, that was painful.

We hoped Latoya won the competition. I don’t consider
Jasmin better then Latoya AT ALL, but the majority
spoke. To say America is wrong is to trash your own
mock-democratic system. You distance yourselves from
your own viewers. To allow the audiences to boo
Jasmine was unethical, non-entertaining, and wrong.

You have passed the line from entertainment to
something I really don't care to experience again.

We hope you treat her with more respect. Trash her
singing if you will, but don't make her feel guilty
because the larger part of the audience found a reason
to keep her on.

Shame on you!

L.M. and H.M.

ps. We are not form Hawaii or Hawaiian.

Those are my view on American Idol. H.M. was so upset about the booing, so H.M. requested I write this letter.

[insert] I actually voted for red-head because I thought he was more classy. It is just an over budget Karaoke contest anyway.

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I don't know how or why I got hooked on it, but I did.
I agree that the booing of the crowd was ridiculous, but I don't think it was the job of the judges to control it.
Did the crowd boo Jasmine when she was deemd "safe," or was it when La Toya was pronounced the loser? I forget. It would have been extra classy for her to say something, but I don;t think it took away from her classiness that she didn't.
OK, Alexa, I am boycotting as well. or trying, anyway. It didn't work so well the last time I tried.

Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm.... well, Latoya was the one I thought should be voted off next. I couldn't see her as a pop star at all.

But then again, I don't think any of the remaining candidates this season would make good pop stars.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

X,
You are right, which is why I probably like them. Simon said it, I think, that they are all awesome Broadway singers.
Isn't the diva crowd considered part of the pop crowd, though? They are definitely the diva types.

Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh give me a break, they werent booing Jasmine, they were booing Latoya. This was just something unexpected! It really WAS unexpected. Im not sure of the theories flying, but I really dont think America was more in love with Jasmine than with Latoya, it really didnt make sense. American wanted to see Latoya remain, but that doesnt mean they wanted to see Jasmine go. They werent upset at Jasmine, like they were upset at John Stevens on Jennifer's night; Jasmine earned her spot up there - But America felt wronged to be robbed of Latoya.
Nonethless, I think we all need to get over it and root for Diana or Fantasia. Im not sure who I like better yet...

P.S. Once again, they arent looking for Popstars, they are looking for Stars. Ruben is no popstar, thus Latoya, or Fantasia can be whatever stars they'd like to be.

AND SERIOUSLY, the voting system has GOD to be revamped. Instead of voting for who we want to remain on, we need to vote people off. Process of eliminiation.

[ May 17, 2004, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Armoth ]

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

quote:

AND SERIOUSLY, the voting system has GOD to be revamped

Yes, it would take "Diety" to fix American Idols problems. [Taunt]
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
As the show is essentially a popularity contest, they are definitely looking for pop stars. Ruben, for instance, was definitely a pop star. He's as much about image as singing. So was Clay Aiken for that matter.

And the voting system makes sense, because in the music industry what matters is how many people like you enough to buy your music, not how many people hate you more than anyone else. If that were the case, many pop stars would have never made it - as many are widely hated (despite also being widely loved.)

[ May 17, 2004, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ruben was in our city this past Friday as the showcase for the River Festival. His appearance drew record crowds -- biggest River Festival concert attendance ever recorded.

He got up there and sang just six songs. 25 minutes. Then he left (much to the amazement of the gathered crowd).

His publicists said it was "exhaustion".

Kinda makes you wonder if he's really cut out to be an Idol.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
As the Idol meatbags only have to yowl out one or two songs a day in order to win their popularity contest, six songs must have seemed like an epic concert.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.