FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Casting 'Rama'

Author Topic: Casting 'Rama'
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a thread a LONG while back when I found out that I wasn't the only one who had read Aurthur C. Clarke and Gentry Lee's Rama series. While the first one, Rendezvous with Rama was good, there wasn't as much of a plot moving it along in my opinion. The following three books, however, make up my favorite books...save, perhaps, LOTR.

Morgan Freeman, apparently, has been pushing for Rendezvous to be made, but there is no word yet on the sequels. For those of you who have read them as well, I know what you're thinking. There's no way that a book of such huge scope could be made into a decent movie. While I agree, I hope one day I can be proved wrong. But, while we wait, let's cast this sucker!

Who do you see playing these awesome characters:

Nicole DesJardins
Richard Wakefield
Michael O'Toole
Francesca Sabatini
The Eagle

...and my brain is not coming up with other names, but let's see how Hatrack would cast this thing. [Smile]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
bob balaban (sp?) did a nice job as chandra in 2010. his characteristic delivery carried over nicely, there. so I thought.
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in total agreement that if a movie(s) was ever made, then Rendezvous With Rama should be skipped. It reveals nothing that isn't explained in the subsequent books.

Furthermore, you couldn't make just one movie. A single film might be enough for each book individually, so you'd be looking at a trilogy if Rendezvous was excluded. I'd get excited about a mini-series, along the lines of what they're currently doing with The Mars Trilogy, by Kim Stanley Robinson. Though with a mini-series, as we saw with Dune, the budget can sometimes be a problem.

I'd go with Thandie Newton as Nicole, though I can't remember how old Nicole was in Rama II, so I'm not sure how well that would work. I can't think of any well-known actors that I would cast as Richard.

[ May 16, 2004, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: Fitz ]

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

mm... thandie nougat. I concur.
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid that your literary preferences make Baby Jesus cry.

Rendezvous was, of all the interminable novels put out in that stillborn "series," the only one worth reading.

Clarke never did figure out that he was incapable of writing with another human being, but kept trying anyway. *shudder*

[ May 16, 2004, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

I completely respect your opinion Tom because, as I see it, Rendezvous is a completely different story than the one told in its sequels. The first book is more about Rama itself, whereas the sequels are more about the characters.

...Baby Jesus?.... [Dont Know]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I know where you're coming from, Javert. I'm just kind of flabbergasted that somebody finds Clarke's characters appealing. He's not actually known for his character-driven fiction.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a vision of the Arthur C. Clarke boards, where newbies are flamed for asking who should be cast as The Eagle.

Carry on, then.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

Well, while you seemed to doubt that Clarke can write with another author Tom, I think it worked really well. The characters are much better for having Gentry Lee's influence on them as well.

Oh, and Ralphie, [Razz] .

I obviously meant who would voice the Eagle.

fallow
Member # 6268

Clarke's very dry but I think it's an excellent contrast - that apparent gratuitous technical proficiency with the hint of mysterious wonders right around the corner. works for me.

yeah... not a good collaborator, though.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the 2nd book, but I didn't like it as much as the first. I tried reading the third, but my interest waned and another book grabbed my attention.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been awhile since I read them, but I really liked the whole Rama series. I read Clarke mainly because he has really great ideas. I will admit that his characterizations, and often his plots themselves, could be better, but usually his ideas make up for them. I really enjoyed the book The Light of Other Days, for instance, but I thought the plot was bad and the characters pretty much forgettable. He's the only author I can think of where this is the case. I don't usually cut authors that much slack.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.