FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Family Portraits - UPDATED WITH PHOTO

Author Topic: Family Portraits - UPDATED WITH PHOTO
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I've decided recently to budget some money to have a professional family portrait taken.

The kids and I have never had a good family portrait, because we could never afford to before, but now that they are 18, 16 and 14, I realize there is coming soon a time that all three kids aren't going to be around home. So I better get it done.

In the past, I've had family friends, etc. take some decent photos of us, but they weren't professional. And the kids change so fast..

Since I've never shopped for this particular type of service before, do you have recommendations? I would really like to go with something more professional than Wal-Mart photo studio <grin>

My oldest will only agree to do this is we go with pro outfit that offers "airbrushing" or softening of any facial blemishes (acne). Poor teens.

Any input for those of you who have gone to studios?

Farmgirl

[ July 06, 2004, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to tone out/down acne, get black and white shots. Black and white is flattering all around. I'd also recommend a more "natural" setting. I do my work outside. Actually, I've still yet to buy a backdrop (though that's my next photography investment. Also need a light).

Here's some portraiture I've shot with those things in mind.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Thanks Mack. If you lived closer, I have several photographic backdrops you could have free (I used to be heavily into photography 20 years ago -- but hated portrait work -- just wanted to do black & white stills and scenics).

I don't think I want black & white for this particular portrait, even though I PREFER monochrome for their texture -- because my oldest son and I both have red hair, which I would like to show, as well as my daughter's beautiful blue eyes. But it is a good idea -- I could ask the studio if they would shoot some B&W during the sitting, as well as color.

I love outside shots, and it is fitting for us (since we are country people) but it is just so hard to depend on the weather here when you are scheduling a sitting.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly redheads. [Wink]

I think outside shots also tone down blemishes quite a bit as well. At least, they seemed to do so when I took senior portraits.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I should pay you to take senior portraits of my daughter when we are all in Chicago --- except that she will only be a junior this fall... <sigh>

Maybe we will have another convention the following year.

Farmgirl

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Jamie, I WOULD like to see color photos from you, some time. I lack interest in B/W shots, to be honest, and keep hoping you'll do a whole roll of interesting chromatic stuff. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Tom, there's a lot of color on my site...but mostly landscape. The link I gave farmgirl actually had about half color. You looking for portraiture?

OH. And now whenever I shoot, it's both color and black and white 'cause it's the digital SLR. [Smile]

[ May 14, 2004, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: mackillian ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Okay -- we finally got a family portrait done at a local professional studio. Had a great deal on it because they gave us the setting and one wall-size free, so all we purchased was the smaller ones for family (and family, as in mom & sister, contributed to that since they were the ones pushing us to get this done.)

So I scanned it so I could share it will all of you.

Family Photo Left to right is my oldest son Steven (18), David (16) and Amanda (14- will turn 15 at KamaCon!) and then me on the right. Yeah, I'm the fat, ugly one.

Farmgirl

[ July 06, 2004, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, that's a lovely picture. Thanks for sharing your whole family with us!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

*blush*
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
What a great picture!

I love how everyone's hair color is slightly different. Just something I noticed. But FG, you have the best hair of all [Big Grin]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Thanks! [Blushing]

my kids were great for agreeing to do this -- they really didn't want to.

Farmgirl

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
What a lovely photo of a lovely family. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
What a great picture! It looks lovely. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
What a great photo!! You are a lovely family.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I love your portrait! Everyone looks so relaxed and happy. And, you're not allowed to put yourself down. You are a lovely woman, inside and out.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Thanks Space Opera! You are one I wanted to make sure saw it.

The other is punwit -- I want him to see it before I take it down. Because he's local and our families may meet for fishing some day... But haven't seen him on yet.

FG

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

*bumped for Punwit!*
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Farmgirl, you don't look old enough to be the mother of all those great looking youngsters!
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Bumped for a fellow bumpkin? Thanks for sharing with all of us Farmgirl. I would be pleased to fish and visit with any or all of your family. Your photo is wonderful.

I don't know if you looked at all the pictures on that link the other day but my wife is also a redhead.

That fiery mane is just an indication of the effort being expended underneath that cap. Well I always tell my wife that anyway.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.