FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Back at home and still no baby... was "Don't go into labor while I'm gone." (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Back at home and still no baby... was "Don't go into labor while I'm gone."
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
HA!

Yesterday morning, I woke up with contractions at 5am. They were about half an hour apart, and not intense at all, but regular and didn't go away.

By 8am, they were about 15-20 minutes apart, but no stronger. I'd decided not to go to work, so I called my backup and my boss. No problem.

Called Doc about 10am. He said that until they either got closer together or stronger to assume it's NOT the real thing and he'd see me Monday. Okay, knowing my history (pitocin required for both) that seems reasonable.

Hubby got up about noon, and I told him what was going on. A little while later, he got called into work. He was gone until almost 6am.

All day, and all night, no closer, no stronger, but still not going away. I slept on the couch. Or, I dozed on the couch all night. Whatever.

This morning, they're a bit stronger but still not enough for me to not be able to talk normally through them, and still no closer together.

Hubby had to leave a little while ago. The last thing he said was, "Don't go into labor or anything while I'm gone. I love you." [ROFL]

Goober.

Edited title

[ May 11, 2004, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Boon ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, when are you due?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

The 13th. It's not THAT early. [Smile]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Go for it! I'd be at that hospital SO fast....

Missing the last couple of weeks is the BEST.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
No! Not yet! You can't go until the 30th! (That was my baby pool guess).
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
*grins*
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

AAAAAhhhhhhhH!

Still no closer, still not painful, just really uncomfortable. Taking Tylenol and resting a lot. Drinking a lot of water. Can't really eat much.

Hubby's still not home. I'm getting really frustrated and irritable.

I kept the kids home yesterday because, frankly, it hurts too much to get into and out of the car. So this is day two, going into day three with restless kids. And the weather's been too bad for them to play outside. They're making me crazy.

Unless I have to go to the hospital, Hubby will not be home until about 6am again tonight. My mother, well, she won't be coming to help me. And apparently my dad went out of town yesterday and won't be back for a couple of days. My sister, who is counting on being in the delivery room, won't even be home until Wednesday at the earliest.

Okay, here's my confession: I let the kids make their own peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner. They used about half a jar of jelly each, and I don't really care!

Anyway, Hubby has nationwide on his cellphone. Does anyone want to volunteer to be the official crier? The plan: You get put on the list of people to call immediately from the hospital so you can post it here. And then I'll come add details later. Any takers?

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy to, although my cell phone will be off during church tomorrow. But if he leaves a message I'll post as soon as I get home. Shall I e-mail you my number?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Sure...even if I go to the hospital now, [edit: which I'm NOT] it won't happen until tomorrow night at the earliest, so yeah, that'd be great. [Smile]

[ April 24, 2004, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Boon ]

tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Exciting! [Big Grin]

Good luck! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Boon-
I had a similar experience with my first. I was having very painful contractions for 20 hrs before going to the hospital and asking them to either deliver the baby or turn off the contractions so that I could get some sleep.

Because I had zero dialation and only 4% effacement, they gave me a muscle relaxer and sent me home. I went home and went to sleep on the couch. I slept for 6 hours, as I was waking up, I heard a "pop" that frightened me enough to make me jump up off the couch,no easy feat for a 38 week pregnant woman! My water had broken. I went to the hospital and John was born 15 hrs later.

Good luck and best wishes Boon.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst]

LadyD, thank you very much for sharing.

*runs off to get tubes tied*

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*snicker* Val, you didn't read the labor stories thread, did you? [Big Grin]

Boon, good luck! Days of intermittent contractions SUCK! My doc always recommended a glass of wine -- might want to ask yours what he thinks, if you think it might help you relax.

Wait, you have to be almost in labor to be able to let the kids make their own sandwiches using ungodly amounts of spreads? Ooops! [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Val-
I think that one of the miracles of childbirth is the way the memory of the pain becomes something separate from you shortly after the baby is born.

Yes, the pain exists, but it is such a small price to pay when compared with what you get in return.

The last question I asked the doctor before I left the hospital was, "How long do I have to wait before I can get pregnant again?"

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. Sounds like pro-dromal labor. I had that. Boo!

Similarly to LadyDove, I told the hospital people to give me something to sleep. They didn't, though. The bastiches. The second or third time I went to the hospital, though, they admitted me, and were going to give me something, but I effaced and such. So, I got to sleep later.

The labor wasn't so bad, it was being hungry afterward (SO VERY HUNGRY!), and the whole 'taking care of the baby' part. Those puppies are *demanding*!! VBG

Boon, I am thinking of you. I don't know what I would do in your position. Perhaps that is why I only have one kid. I can't imagine what I would do with him if I were pregnant. Ack.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Going on 63 hours now...tonight, hubby will be home, so I'm going to take some Benadryl before bed. At least I may be able to get some real sleep that way...

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. Hopefully, he'll send me over to the hospital. If not, well...hubby will just have to not work nights for a while. [Razz]

DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'll keep this on a family level.

The one thing my midwife suggested time and again was doing the nasty to get things rolling. Aparently, an alkaline environment was favorable to getting things moving in the right direction. Worked for me. And the XY Chromosonal part of things is alkaline, while a normal female vagina is somewhat acidic. And that's all I have to say about that.

Remember, it's okay to ask people to leave the delivery room if they're not making it easier for you.

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Much sympathy!!

Good luck at the doctor's tomorrow.

(((((Boon)))))

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Doc: I understood it was the prostaglandin (or similar) in the "deposit" that moved things along. Ah, well. It doesn't really matter, since I have absolutley NO interest in doing that with him right now anyway. [Monkeys]

Anyway, thanks all for the good wishes, posted or not. I'm doing my best to NOT kill anyone today. [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I'm doing my best to NOT kill anyone today. [Big Grin]
Yeah, that's often my goal for the day too. [Wink]
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
Boon, you're absolutely right. It's the prostaglandins. However, the rhythmic contractions associated with the 'nasty' also tend to convince your uterus that a contraction in the right direction is a good thing. Whatever works for you is the best thing.

Prayers, positive thoughts and my best wishes to you. What a wonderful day (even though you're as anxious as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs!).

Be well. Welcome new baby!

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
As a man, may I just say, OUCH!

Boy I'm glad I'm a man.

Good luck.

**tip toes out of room**

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Oh, Dan, this isn't the "ouch" part. Not by a long shot! This is just the "uncomfortable enough you can't really rest well but not bad enough to say ouch" part.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife went through about 2 weeks of contractions with our second. They kept coming on and off, sometimes strong enough that we ended up at the hospital four different times. One of those times was all day, and we fully expected to have a baby by the next morning. When the doctor finally sent us home at midnight, we went to my wife's parents' house and crashed there. In the morning, my mother-in-law was mighty surprised to see us. "Where's the baby?"

She ended up getting induced and having her water broken because she was absolutely fed up with the false labor. Once the doctor broke her water, our son came in about 1 1/2 hours. Crazy. I don't think he wanted to come out.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

afr: I don't blame her.

76 hours...and I got news for Doc. He's putting me in the hospital today, ready or not! Either to STOP these contractions so I can rest, or to deliver this baby. If this goes on much longer, I won't have the energy to bother...

Well, you know what I mean.

Anyway...it's not "off and on", it's at least every 1/2 hour, usually every 15-20 minutes and strong enough to wake me up and make Thomas go nuts. About the time he calms down and I doze back off, here comes another one. I'm not in pain, I'm just exhausted!

I took a sleeping pill last night...big mistake. It didn't keep me from waking up, it just made me so dizzy I almost fell over every time I had to go to the bathroom. Which was several times.

::sigh::

I promise, I'll call, or have hubby call, Dana as soon as I know something.

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Boon)))

Good luck!

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Boon)))

Good luck, from me, too.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Boon!
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

[Cry]

Not today...

[Cry]

Rotten little child was "transverse". What's that mean? All those contractions were for naught. His head wasn't in the right place. [Mad]

[Cry]

I'm going to bed now.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

You know what I always say, Boon. Discipline begins in the womb.

*spanks Baby gently*

Err, wait....if he's transverse, that would put his bottom.....

[Embarrassed]

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, "transverse" means that the little punk is face up rather than face down, which while not as important as head-first vs. feet-first, is still not ideal. The kid should come head-first, face down.

But it has been a while, so I might have gotten this confused with another term.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Ah, so get ready for back labor, then.
Boon
unregistered

WAS transverse. Doc shoved and prodded, which hurt a LOT, and got him turned around. The contractions have stopped, at least for now. And now his head is down and "stabilized", which Doc says means that his head won't be a-wandering anymore.

He was gonna do a cervical exam to check dilation, but the sono (done first) showed the boy to be nowhere near where he needed to be. Crap.

Doc says "At least another week." [Grumble]

peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Face-up is also sometimes referred to as "Sunny-Side-Up" as well. And it's more difficult to deliver that way for momma and baby.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

No, transverse is sideways...his head was to my left and his bottom was under my right ribcage.
Boon
unregistered

Oh, yeah...to add insult to injury, I had to get ANOTHER Rhogam shot! I don't mind needles, but I hate shots. At least the "good" nurse was there today to give me the injection. Her needle sticks don't bruise like the other nurse's do. But still...
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*Gently hugs Boon*

"Hang in there, sweetie."

*Reflects on the three week old infant she just got to hold and rock and coo to and remembers that as being the sweetest part of the whole deal*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Having a baby that was transverse (and no longer is) is better than having a c-section, which is what you would get if the baby were tranverse at delivery time. In other words, the pushing and prodding to get the baby in the right position, while I am sure that it hurt, was a good thing, if it will make it possible for you to have a normal delivery.

Hope all goes well for you.

[ April 26, 2004, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Wasn't the baby wrong-side up a few weeks back? So transverse was progress (admittedly, not as much as one might like) -- and with the "nudges" from doc, hopefully the kid got the message, and will stay head-down.

So he's a tad slow. Or stubborn . . . [Wink]

Good luck, Boon! At least the contractions have stopped.

Boon
unregistered

Yes, he was "breech" or bottom down, then he was "vertex" or head down. This time he was "transverse". The problem is that he has a lot of fluid to move around in. He's shifted at least 4 times in the last week. So, even though the doctor says he probably won't shift again, he very well could. THAT would suck. Majorly.
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he'll just get so violent that your water will break and you can start the ordeal sooner. [Wink]

Just kidding. I hope that what happens is what is best for you and baby. (((Boon)))

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

[Cry]

He's flipped again! I'm so depressed. And sore from where the doc was pusing on my belly. And frustrated. And, yes, ANGRY! I'm mad at the kid. Irrational, I know. But I am.

If he doesn't get his head back down there by Monday, we could be talking c-section. [Angst]

[Cry]

rivka
Member # 4859

Oy. Poor Boon. (((((Boon)))))

I hope the kid learns his place soon. [Wink]

UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Benadryl good for the baby?
Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Boon)))
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Tylenol, Sudafed, Benadryl.

Doc said I could take these without calling him, but everything else has to be pre-approved. [Dont Know]

I trust him.

Ela
Member # 1365

Hope the baby figures out which way is down before Monday. Hang in there, Boon.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Boon))) I know you don't want a c-section, but it wouldn't be the end of the world either. I hope your doctor will do what will be safest for you and the baby.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm well I'm sure you can throw this up to the kid when you give the "I carried you for this?" speech as a teenager...
[Wink]

Hang in there!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Sign the kid up for swimming lessons first thing!

Good luck Boon! Thoughts and prayers to you and the entire family!!!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.