FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Confirmation names

Author Topic: Confirmation names
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I forget who it was, maybe Alath, had mentioned their Catholic Confirmation name. For those who don't know when you are Confirmed at 18 you choose a patron saint and take their name as your confirmation name.

I chose St. Patrick (I'm of heavy Irish ancestry and my birthday is March 18th). So my name went from Karl Jason Wolf to Karl Jason Patrick Wolf. [Smile]

I'm not Catholic anymore so I don't know if it still holds, but I am curious what some other confirmation names are out there. [Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I, um, got nervous and chose my own name as my confirmation name.

So, I became Elizabeth Stevens Elizabeth Dashnaw (O'Brien)

Cute, huh?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
St. Therese, the "Little Flower."

I've been outed. [Blushing]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I chose my grandfather's mother's name, Celina, which makes me a Kristina Rose Celina. Kinda girly ::chuckle::

[edit: woah, since when did laughing make a smilie?!]

[ April 23, 2004, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: MyrddinFyre ]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Elizabeth Stevens the chick from bewitched?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I chose my middle name. Just like my brother. [Big Grin] Odd sense of humor I guess.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I was confirmed in a Lutheran Church, and I've never heard of such a practice... [Dont Know]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, I always wondered how confirmation names were conferred. That's nice that you get to choose your own.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI T,

She was Elizabeth Montgomery, and her name on the show was Samantha Stevens. ha ha.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I got that song in my head. Anyone know what the Russian "name day" thing was about?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Nick, it's very much a Catholic thing.

(I also felt a kinship with I, Claudius, although that's just the beginning of the explanation of my Hatrack name.)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
In Romania [and probably the other Eastern Orthodox traditions as well], almost all of the children's receive given names that come from the list of saints.

The downside of this practice is that there are a lot of girl names that are simply feminized forms of boy names. Thus Bogdan becomes Bodgdana. Some are okay -- some not so much. And there are a few that go the other way -- masculinized girls names. But not many. Oh, and it also means that there's a much smaller pool of names to choose from. So there's like 2 or 3 of almost every name in every classroom. It got confusing.

The upside of this practice is you get two birthdays [just like Queen Elizabeth and Paddington Bear!] -- you celebrate the day of your birth *and* your the day set aside for your name saint. Do Catholics do this too? I can't remember. But if they do, I don't think it's on the same scale as in Romania. You get presents and special desserts on *both* days.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
No... at least not here in the USA. That's just an Orthodox Christian event. [Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do Catholics do this too?
Some do. I don't know how widespread it is, but the Spanish still celebrate their Saint's name days. However, Latin Americans typically do not and they're also less likely to name their children Saint's names than the Spanish are.

[edit - sometimes it helps to put in all the necessary words]

[ April 23, 2004, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Risuena ]

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Stuck with my given name: James.

I kinda like being a "son of thunder"

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Warren Barnabas Sloan -- I chose Barnabas because it meant "Encouraging One." That's what I was aiming for at the time.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I picked Francis. We did it in 8th grade, so I was 12 at the time.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. Grade eight.

I chose St. Frances Xavier Cabrini. That caused a certain amount of mockery as my classmates thought I had chosen FrancIs Xavier, the Jesuit. But I'd chosen a woman, nee Francesca Cabrini.

We don't celebrate my Confimation saint's feast day, but since we were little my parents always celebrated our feast days, which were generally taken from our middle names.

Alison Marie Francesca Purnell.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool EqL. How do you celebrate your saint's feast day?

I want to add that in Romania it's not just all about the person. While I'm pretty sure they do receive gifts on their name day, Romanians also give some sort of "pomana" on that day -- basically a gift to someone less fortunate or who is doing good. I once received a bag of sugar from someone I barely even knew. I tried to refuse it -- we could afford to buy sugar and had plenty for our needs -- but in the end took it so as not to appear ungrateful/ungracious. Then when I thought about it and got beyond the 'others need it more' prejudice, I realized that it was a very nice compliment. While the woman that gave it to me wasn't that interested in the LDS Church, she did see us as men of God and so thought we should receive her pomana on her saint's feast day.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Greeks do name days, too. Leslie isn't a Greek name, so I never got to celebrate one. But, it's as celebrated as birthdays.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

That's cool!! I went to St. Frances X. Cabrini schools and church! Neato.... [Smile]
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked her, even before I knew she was a saint. [Smile]

My feast day is one of the many feasts of Mary. For whatever reason, they chose the one on Janurary 1st. It was always amusing, trying to find a place to eat out for lunch on New Year's Day. The day was almost like a birthday, but without the presents. We don't do it so much anymore, since it's gotten impractical as the family grew, but we still get to pick a nice meal to be made on our day.

[ April 23, 2004, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

Hey, which is the saint who's conversion came when he pierced Jesus' side? I love that story, but I can never remember the name.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you referring to Thomas who put his hands in Jesus side before he would believe it was really Him who had risen?
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

in "The Passion of the Christ" he is named Cassius, but I'm not sure how that squares with tradition...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Krystyna, after my grandmother, and St. Kristine of somewhere, since it had to be a saint's name.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Belle,

I thought she meant the guy with the spear, but perhaps I was wrong?

Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
Anne
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

Yeah, I meant the guy with the spear. When I was in St. Peter's Basillica I heard that story as we were looking at the statue dedicated to him, but I can never remember his name.

I haven't seen the passion, but my students say he is mentioned. Gibson is Catholic, so maybe his name is Cassius. Anyone know for sure?

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Aha. Sorry, misunderstood your question.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Did it with my class in 8th grade. I chose St. Elizabeth Seton. She was the 1st American saint and started the Daughters of Charity. So I became Dawn Maria Elizabeth. After the service my class went out for pizza and some clown chuck a slice at me and ruined my dress. I felt very full of the Holy Spirit by that point I promise you! [Mad]
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I chose James (the Greater), with one of the obvious reasons being I wanted to be a son of thunder like Jim-Me.

For some reason my parents never gave me a middle name, so it's just Christopher James. Of course, I never use it...so I'm just Chris.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I went with something pretty traditional, so now I'm Maureen Janay Qualfredo della Gherardesca Meyer Fanta. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
the Good Centurion. He isn't named in the Bible.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
We were confirmed when we were in sixth grade. My confirmation name is Maria, so Anne Catherine Maria Ard.

We had to memorize long lists of definitions and so on for our confirmations. I still remember this one: "Confirmation is the sacrament in which the holy spirit comes to us in a special way and enables us to profess our faith as strong and perfect Christians and soldiers of Jesus Christ."

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm I was in 5th grade...maybe 6th when I was confirmed. I picked the name Elizabeth Ann (Seaton).

I'm somewhat appalled by the fact my confirmation was so early. I'm not sure that someone who isn't even 12 yet can really commit to a religion. I mean granted there is all that stuff about believeing like a child but I think a later confirmation date allows one to really understand what the Church teaches to a much greater extent.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
My confirmation occurred when I was in 8th grade. I chose St. Elizabeth Seton, as well. I think I chose her because, at the time, I was very religious. I liked her story and her name. I remember actually wanting to be a priest (not a nun) when I was a little girl and being very "put out" when I was told that wasn't possible. I sometimes joke that that was the reason I left the Catholic Church, but it isn't.
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
My first name is Nathan. Also known in the Bible as Bartholomew (St. Bartholomew). Needless to say, I stuck to my first name.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
My full name is Maribeth Desaix Nicholas Wallace (to be Yu after college [Big Grin] ). Correlle picked St. Michael the Archangel as her confirmation name.

I was in a bit of a spot about my name when I was picking one. My mother, grandmother and great-grandmother all had St. Elizabeth of Hungary (partly where the 'beth' in my name comes from--Mary Elizabeth was too long for Mom), so I wanted to keep the tradition...

Then I wanted St. Patrick, because of my Scotch-Irish heritage. Then I started helping Mom with her work.

Mom's a schoolteacher, so around Christmas she teaches 'Christmas around the world' lessons: One of which is St. Nicholas' Day in Holland. I just... really liked the stories (he seemed to me like a favorite uncle), so I picked him.

[Blushing]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
aretee,

I don't think we know his name from original sources, although tradition has given him one. Kind of like the wise men.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
I chose Saint Germaine of Pibrac, France as my confirmation saint. I had always thought I'd choose St. Anne but, instead, I fell in love with Germaine's story.

...Which makes my name Morgan Christina Germaine Derby. [Smile]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Albert, after St. Albert, patron saint of science.

My sister and her best friend wanted to use Crystal and Alexis but changed their minds when they were told they needed to use saints' names.
Soon after, I found both names in a book of saints' names.

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

The soldier's name was Longinus.
The Lance of Longinus...

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
It's late, I know, but I'd like to thank Telp for starting this thread. Through it (and thanks to a google search), an incredibly wonderful friend with whom I'd lost touch some six years ago found me, because he remembered my confirmation name.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That's awesome Moose.

Kinda creepy too. hehe.

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Have any relatives in OK Moose?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Why, Boon? You know someone else whose name is Moose? *wink* No, none that I know of.
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Mk then...I was momentarily excited at the prospect of being (remotely) related to the Meese. [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol. this thread is OLD!

[ November 29, 2004, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.