FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Well, at least Bush made it clear that Democracy in Afghanistan doesn't really matter

Author Topic: Well, at least Bush made it clear that Democracy in Afghanistan doesn't really matter
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
On Dec. 28 2001, when the war in Afghanistan was just ending up and we were ready to start down the still highly uncertain road of rebuilding it (right now we seem to be popping wheelies in circles), Bush held a meeting.

Afterwards he told reporters "I'm right now focused on the military operations in Afghistan". He also said "Tommy has just come back from the Afghan theater. He gave me a full briefing on what he saw and what he heard. We just got off a teleconference with the national security team to discuss his trip and to discuss what's taking place in Afghanistan."

Well, he was being liberal with the truth. After a brief recap of the situation in Afghanistan, the entire meeting was about Iraq, which was the reason the meeting was called. Attendees (some by video) included Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Tommy Franks, Rice, Powell, and one or two others.

source: out of an AP story in my local paper. I'm sure you can find references online, the Bush quote should be in them.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was perfectly clear from the moment we armed the Northern Alliance. Even if we later on decided democracy was a good idea, it would be doomed if warlords were still, well, warlords. Surprise surprise, nothing has changed. (Was it here that I posted the link about the cities recently overtaken by everyone's favorite war-criminal general?)

[ April 18, 2004, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Richard Berg ]

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.