FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Editing geniuses!

Author Topic: Editing geniuses!
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I right in claiming that there is a part of a sentence missing here?

quote:
Notwithstanding, we acknowledge that at Weekly Progress Meeting no 36 held on 1 April 2004 that work could proceed.
I just argued with the author of the letter (who's English) that he should add a phrase "it was stated" or the like:

Notwithstanding, we acknowledge that at Weekly Progress Meeting no 36 held on 1 April 2004 it was stated that work could proceed.

He says it's not necessary do add the words. Who's right? [Wink]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of depends of what he was intending it to mean:

It could read:
quote:
Notwithstanding, we acknowledged at Weekly Progress Meeting No. 36 held on 1 April 2004 that work could proceed.
or you could say:

quote:
Notwithstanding, we acknowledge that at Weekly Progress Meeting No. 36, held on 1 April 2004, that agreed work could proceed.
There are just lots of way to say this -- what exact meaning was he trying to get?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You are.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Notwithstanding, we acknowledge that at Weekly Progress Meeting no 36, held on April 1, 2004, it was stated that work could proceed.
[Dont Know]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd get rid of a "that" you already have in and add a "d" to acknowledge

quote:
Notwithstanding, we acknowledged at Weekly Progress Meeting #36 held on 1 April 2004 that work could proceed.
AJ
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

(yeah, AJ -- that was my first example) I think that sounds best.

Don't you think there should still be a comma after the year, though?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

It does sound best, but to my mind it changes the meaning of the sentence. In the original, as I read it, the author is presently aknowledging that something was stated at a prior point in time. In Banna's modified version, the sentence is changed in such a way that the aknowledgement is what happened at a prior point in time.

Of course, FarmGirl addressed this in her first post as well.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice editing guys. But as Farmgirl pointed out, it depends on what Kama is trying to say. Your edit, although cleaner and more fuel efficient, conveys a different meaning.

Kama is saying: We acknowledge that at this meeting, a decision was made regarding the beginning of work.

Your setence says: We made the decision at this meeting to start work.

Edited to add: arrrrr... too slow. [Smile]

[ April 15, 2004, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
Kama is saying: We acknowledge that at this meeting, a decision was made regarding the beginning of work.
That was the point of his letter. Yes.

<-- smart

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it should be meeting no 35, not 36. That sounds more meaningful to me.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Notwithstanding, we acknowledge that at Weekly Progress Meeting no 36 held on 1 April 2004 that work could proceed.
Yes, there's definitely something missing. The first "that" is the head of a subordinate clause that doesn't exist. If you take out the prepositional phrase, it becomes obvious:
quote:
Notwithstanding, we acknowledge that . . . that work could proceed.
Your revision is correct, Kama. Or they should take out the second "that," though I think that's not the meaning they want.

[ April 15, 2004, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, definitely something missing. But you know that by now. [Smile]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
No, you don't kneed the words (opps, runaway pun). [Wink]

But seriously, you don't. You might need a comma there though.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Sentence is grammatically correct. Silly, but grammatically correct.

Emphasize the second "that," and you'll see.

Notwithstanding, we acknowledge that at Weekly Progress Meeting no. 36 held on 1 April 2004 that work could proceed.

There are, however, two commas missing, after "36" and after "2004."

DB has spoken. Written. Typed. Whatever.

[ April 15, 2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Unmaker ]

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I'm pretty sure that's not grammatically correct, David. Either the first "that" is supposed to introduce something that's not there, or the second "that" is redundant (that is, it's trying to introduce the same subordinate clause that the first "that" is introducing). I believe it's grammatically incorrect to repeat a subordinator, but I'll have to double-check. At the very least, I know for sure that it's bad style and should be removed.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
I just argued with the author of the letter (who's English) that he should add a phrase "it was stated" or the like. . . .

He says it's not necessary do add the words. Who's right?

Another question: does he think that your revision is correct in terms of meaning? That is, that his version says the same thing as yours, but in fewer words? If that's the case, then you are absolutely correct, for the reasons I already stated. The first "that" would be introducing a clause that simply isn't there. You can't say, "I don't know if," or "I went to the store because." Such words are complementizers, and if they have no complements, then they're not functioning grammatically.

If that's not the case, then there's a different problem—there's a redundant "that" (without a complement) and there's some ambiguity. If that's the case, it seems like he's trying to say this:
quote:
We acknowledge that work could proceed at Weekly Progress Meeting. . . .
It seems unlikely that work would be proceeding at a meeting, and the tenses are wrong. It should be "did proceed" or "could have proceeded" in that case. But like I said, that seems pretty unlikely, so I think it's the first scenario, in which case your revision (or something similar) is correct.
Kama
Member # 3022

Jon Boy, yeah, he said I can add it if I really want to. [Wink]

DB, how is that correct?

We acknowledge that at Weekly Progress Meeting that work could proceed.

Unless you mean the second "that" is "that" as opposed to "this".

But it still doesn't make sense, and it's not what he was saying anyway.

The sense is: There was a meeting, and at the meeting it was said that yes, work could proceed.

[ April 16, 2004, 02:22 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh, you're right David! I didn't think to put the emphasis on the second "that".

Still, even if it's grammatically correct, I'd say it's confusingly worded.

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
There must be an appropriate Dilbert for this thread.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unmaker
Member # 1641

Okay, I just thought of something... when was this written? It only works if it was written before the meeting. If afterward, it's a bungled sentence, and its author should be barred from composing English utterances for life.

Heh.

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

After.
Unmaker
Member # 1641

Then it should be Notwithstanding, we acknowledged at Weekly Progress Meeting no. 36, held on 1 April 2004, that work could proceed..
Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
We refer to your letter dated 5 April 2004 and whilst noting your comments we fail to understand why you should consider our reference to GCC Clause 40.1, 40.2, 44 and 52.4 to be unjustified when the Engineer’s letter ... clearly notified us of a change in design and instructed a discontinuation of work.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Yeah, it definitely seems to me that they're saying essentially this: "We acknowledge now that at this meeting held a couple weeks ago, we said that work could proceed." Not "At the meeting a couple weeks ago, we acknowledged that work could proceed." Does that sound right, Kama?
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Do folks in corporations really attempt to communicate like this? And do they really have a meeting just to say, "Yep, let's get to work on this project?"

What's the old saying? In the corporate world, you will eventually be promoted to your level of incompetence.

Corporate structure, computers and data bases, projections and meetings, team building and what not... we have more to work with and we work more, but are we accomplishing anything?

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I don't understand why they are choosing to get so complicated and wordy.

Why didn't they just say:

"At our April 1, 2004, Weekly Progress Meeting No. 36, we agreed that work could proceed."

Wouldn't even be a need to say "acknowledge," because the above sentence acknowledges it!

They are trying to make it more difficult than necessary.

Farmgirl

[ April 16, 2004, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
It is the group think syndrome. In big organizations, individuals do not want to be the one to make the tough decisions. That's why they write in that distant tone, to separate themselves from their ideas, basically disavowing all responsibility. [Smile] (No offense, I'm definitely guilty of this in my own work...)
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Jon Boy, yes.

It's a construction company. The letter is to our supervision. We have delays and are seeking extension of time/additional money for the delays. So whether the work could proceed or not is a very important question.

I love the way the guy writes, btw. In one letter to the supervision, he said something like: we will not stoop to answering such questions. Hee hee.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.