FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Thyroid Problem

Author Topic: Thyroid Problem
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
We are adopting (I know I've said this 10,000 times, but new people get on here all the time)

Monday we went to the doctor to get the last of our medical exams done that Russia requires for the adoption.

While being examined the doctor noticed my wifes thyroid looked a bit swollen. She has been borderline with her thyroid for years. They took extra blood tests, and yes. She may have a thyroid problem.

It won't stop the adoption. However, the tests won't be done until after we have left for Russia. This means no news on treatments or suggestions until after we get back (April 26th).

Anyway, before I google-search for all the info I need to know about this, I figured I'd get the Hatrack take on Thyroid problems. I know its not too uncommon, my sister-in law, and most of my wife's family have had thyroid issues.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
My mother has had a treated thyroid problem for a few years now. It hasn't changed her lifestyle at all (aside from taking some pills every day).

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom too. She has thyroid deficiency. She just takes a few pills every day. I have a feeling I might have it too: my hair falls out all the time, and though I'm eating right and physically active, I don't lose weight very easily at all.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, hypo or hyper? That is, under-active or over-?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I have hypothyroid, probably caused by Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

I have to take 1 pill each morning and get my blood tested twice a year. I also have a small goiter, which will have to be monitored for growth.

I didn't notice any symptoms - they caught this in a routine physical. But after I was on the medicine for about 2 months, I definitely noticed improved energy and just a more "consistent" feeling. I can't explain it any better than that.

Good news is, almost everything that can be wrong is emminently treatable. Most extreme worst case (and this is rare) is removal of the thyroid (or killing it with radioactive iodine) and then taking medication to replace the thyroid hormones. Not a picnic, but far better than a lot of things that could have happened. (All this is what I had to tell myself between diagnosis and the final test results.)

In short, if you have to have a chronic disorder, this the one to get.

I hope everything goes well and it's nothing serious.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have the tests back yet, so I don't know Hypo or Hyper, but her history has been borderline under, as is her family history.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
My coworker Emma has a thyroid problem, and she's extra strong and super efficient and healthy. And she doesn't seem to take any special precautions, really. She does make a special cookie to help keep her thyroid level stable (it's DELICIOUS!), and I know she is on medication, but otherwise, it's business as usual.

I love Emma. *smile*

I will ask her for the cookie recipe tomorrow and whether she is hyper or hypo. Then I will report back to Hatrack. *salutes*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.