FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Buy any other name

Author Topic: New column: Buy any other name
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy any other name

Identity theft is a growing concern these days, as evidenced by the serious expressions on the faces of the news anchors. Unscrupulous people are Googling your garbage or something and getting your personal, private information. Then, dressed like you and speaking with an odd accent, they use your name to apply for something financially crippling like a new sports car, a small vacation island in the tropics, or the Columbia House Music Club.

You never felt it, there was no odd tugging at your wallet. But unbeknownst to you, your name is whomping up a staggering mound of debt and your credit rating now has a radioactive shelf life of 4,000 years.

"I never even guessed until the men from the collection agency showed up at my door with baseball bats," you'll say. "They told me I owed $476,000 for office supplies I never ordered! And that I owed another $13,000 for shipping and handling! Also, my kidneys."

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, that was FUNNY! Can I be "Scooter" Lord Byron? [ROFL]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaladinVirtue
Member # 6144

- posted      Profile for PaladinVirtue   Email PaladinVirtue         Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff!
Posts: 181 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Amanda Hugnkiss!!!
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaahhhhh

This explains a few folks desire to pick new names here every three hours.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Very funny.

quote:
Then, dressed like you and speaking with an odd accent, they use your name to apply for something financially crippling like a new sports car, a small vacation island in the tropics, or the Columbia House Music Club
I read this, and the little voice inside my head started up with "Yes, I vould be liking a new spowts caw. One that goes vewy fast."
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo Tolstoy
Member # 6436

- posted      Profile for Leo Tolstoy           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't knock it. It worked out nicely for me. You should see my royalties...
Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ever. Under any circumstances. Burn your insurance card, shred your wallet, punch anyone who calls you by name in the face. Systematically go through every official document that contains any data about you whatsoever and destroy it immediately, even the phone number on your dog's tags.
LOL
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
I love you, Amanda Huggenkiss.
Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Once again, a great column.
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
A suggestion that was cut for space:

Hide in the crowd

Name all of your children, male and female, your exact name. Your pets, too. Take your spouse's name, no matter what sex you are.

Sort of the "I'm Brian and so's my wife" school of financial security.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
The "punch in the face" line was the biggest laugh this time.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

But, if my name is already Amanda, should I really change my last name to Huggenkiss? [Wink]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

No, you should change your name to "Alphonso Markowitz."

Only you can't now, since it's been publicly posted on a message board. Sorry.

[ April 14, 2004, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
That was a good one, Chris. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
That was great. I love reading your articles every week, they're always wonderful
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine had his identity stolen over a decade ago. He's still dealing with it. He's tried to get legislation passed.

I saw something a week or so ago about some new legislation that was being/going to be proposed that would allow the individual to call up the credit bureau, get a password, and then turn off their credit. That way, no one could apply for and get credit. Then, if you want a loan or a new credit card, you call and turn it on, then turn it back off when the company you are dealing with is done. I like this idea.

Oh, and I worked for a company once that forced us to wear ID badges that included our name and "employee number" which was our social security number.

I've always lived by the belief espoused in the column. We'd been doing pretty good at ruining our credit till recently. We got approved for a home loan! And then our banker got his laptop stolen out of his car. Unfortunately, his entire client list with all our pertinent information, was in the laptop case.

Oh, and I lied. My husband has good enough credit to get a home loan. My credit rating is 0. [Smile] So far, all the have in their computer about me is that I am a person.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Universities, a lot of them, make the students use their Social Security numbers as student ID numbers. One university (i forget with) had someone get a test result list with hundreds of students social security numbers on it, and steal from TONS of them. Its a very foolish way of doing things.
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Whickleberry. "Wh" and a "k" sound.

Brilliant. [Cry]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Um, hey, Chris, what's the A stand for, again? (And what was your mother's maiden name?)
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Arkansas.

And my mother, tragically, never had a maiden name. It's a family scandal we prefer to keep to ourselves until Random House gets back in touch.

Kayla
Member # 2403

[ROFL]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.