FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kama, please explain Śmingus-Dyngus

Author Topic: Kama, please explain Śmingus-Dyngus
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama,

So my friendly Polish e-mail pen pal (you know) was telling me that the Monday after Easter in Poland is something called Śmingus-Dyngus, where apparently everyone throws water at each other? Or something?

I couldn't tell exactly what he was talking about. Can you clarify for me exactly what this custom is, and why they do it? It sounds like great fun!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but that just sounds so much like a kiddie insult.

You smingus dingus!

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm...Polish wet T-shirt contest.

*drools*

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Easter season in Poland ends on Monday when the traditional "Dyngus–Śmigus" custom is observed, which is the most humorous of Polish customs at Easter time.

The origin of this custom is unknown. Some say it is a pagan tradition handed down from the earliest settlers in Poland around Xth century. Others assert it is a reminder that the sinner has been washed in the blood of Christ, newly risen from the dead. Still others declare that according to legend, the Jews tried to disperse the early Christians as they gathered in Jerusalem to talk about Christ's resurrection, by flinging water at them.

This day is called dyngus from a German word for ransom. Groups of young men used to go from house to house conveying Paschal best wishes and singing Easter songs such as: we have come for a dyngus and we sing of Jesus. About Jesus, His Son; who believes in God will not perish.

" Chodzimy po dyngusie i śpiewamy o Jezusie.

O Jezusie Jego Synie, kto w niego wierzy, ten nie zginie."

The singers often demanded a dyngus or ransom for their singing and would not leave without it.

Easter Monday is also called śmingus from the custom of switching maidens with willow branches, also for fertility.

Although the Synod of Poznan (1420) banned dyngus and - drenching, nonetheless, they have survived down to modern times.

This day the young people break the solemnity of Easter by a burst of frivolity. They visit from house to house singing songs, playing pranks and merrymaking. After getting the girls out of their beds, the boys will switch their legs and douse them with water. On Tuesday, the girls are supposed to reciprocate in kind. They visit the boys, sprinkle them with water and use the switch.

In cities this custom is practiced with more gentility, by using fragrant cologne instead of water.

On this day it is customary to visit or receive distant relatives and friends. This custom is a survival of pre-Christian fertility rites and provides an occasion for much merriment.

http://liturgicalcenter.org/Tradition/Easter.html
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
It all sounds like a great deal of fun util you get to the part about switching people.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It all sounds like a great deal of fun util you get to the part about switching people.
That all depends on who you get in the trade. [Wink]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
That still sounds like fun. (if the switching isn't too hard). He didn't mention the switching, so maybe not everyone does that - - just does the mass water fight.

quote:
The singers often demanded a dyngus or ransom for their singing and would not leave without it.

Kind of like our "trick or treat", huh?

Thanks for finding a website about it for me, Kama. I had done a search using only the words Śmingus-Dyngus and all the hits were totally in Polish, so I didn't understand a word. However, there were some entertaining photos I came across..... [Wink]

So did YOU get wet on Monday, Kama?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
that last sentence is begging for the OOC Thread

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

< -- did not get wet [Razz]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama-
My husband's family and friends in the MidWest celebrate Dyngus Day by drinking beer and eating pickled eggs. Is this a local custom or is it an original rite of Dyngus Day?

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Never heard of that. It's just the water thing.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.