FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Acupuncture

Author Topic: Acupuncture
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone ever had acupuncture done?

I'm trying it currently... I tried it several years ago when I was having problems with inflammation in my arms. (Did a couple sessions, had temporary relief after the 2nd, but not enough to want to continue at that point, so went on to try other therapies -- going to a chiropractor turned out to be the most helpful.)

Right now I'm trying for treating mono/chronic fatigue. Had the first session Friday. Think it may've helped some, but hard to say; I'm not expecting miracles, I'll give this a try for a while. (I know that when I went to the chiropractor, it took a month or two to realize that it was definitely helping.)

Acupuncture's interesting... I'm not very psyched about needles though... most of them don't hurt, but every once in a while I'll wince as one goes in and it'll sting for a few seconds. It takes a lot of effort to try to stay relaxed while someone's sticking needles in to you!! (I end up babbling a lot during the treatments to try to relax...)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm....accupuncture. It sounds interesting, and there are some good studies that suggest it does more than just a placebo effect.

The history of accupuncture is very convoluted so I keep wondering if it was even more effective centuries ago before it got muddled up. Guess we'll never know. Anyway, there are lots of different methods, so the efficacy may vary in that respect also.

Do you know what sort of training your accupuncturist has had?

I have been told that you should give it at least 3 sessions before deciding to give up on it. It won't work for everyone, that's for sure.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rolf Singer
Member # 3972

- posted      Profile for Rolf Singer   Email Rolf Singer         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a tendon problem years ago that would not respond to massage and heat and other staples of traditional physiotherapy. My left ankle was swollen for 4 months and no matter what the physio did, the swelling would not go down. She asked me if I was okay with her using acupuncture, and while a little concerned, I agreed.

After the first session the swelling reduced by half; after the fourth the swelling and bruising were completely gone.

I'm a convert .......

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Likewise, a couple of years ago I had a stress fracture in my right leg, accompanied by a lot of nasty tension and knots in and around my right medial ligament. (the joys of triathlon training at stupid levels...) Massage, electic stimulation, ultrasonic massage; nothing worked until my physio, who'd just completed an acupuncture course, went to work with the needles. I noticed immediate relief after the first session, and by the third all the little knots and stuff had gone. I wouldn't hesitate to try it again.
Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Plaid I hope you feel better. [Smile]

I feel tired all the time too. Please keep us updated regarding your progress. IF this works, I can't wait to try it. [Smile]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I had accupuncture a few years ago to treat severe asthma, and was surprised at how much it helped. I found it to be about as useful as prednazone, but without the unplesant side effects. My experience was much like yours, in that 98% of the needle insertions didn't hurt, but about 2% of them stung for a moment. My accupuncturist warned me when they were going to sting though, so I was prepared for it. Surprisingly, I actually found it to be fairly relaxing.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I had accupuncture to try and get me to go into labor with my 2nd baby. Those of you who have been over 9 months pregnant and envision having about 15 long, but very slender, needles all over. And 2 are hooked up to an electrical transducer (like the kind that controls the speed on a model train.)
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.