FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Look! I did it myself this time!!!!! I ROCK!

Author Topic: Look! I did it myself this time!!!!! I ROCK!
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Here I am trying to work on this phone interview. This is for the same place as before, only with a different person. So I am trying to write the answers for some of these questions in advanced.

Tell me about yourself-
My name is Shondolyn Gibson. I am a 25-year-old recent college graduate looking to advance my career.
I graduated from St. Lawrence University in the year 2000. I majored in English writing. From September 2001-July 2002 I worked as a volunteer at Leaps in Literacy, an Americorps organization in Brockton, MA. I tutored second and third graders in reading.

What are your goals?

Why should we hire you?
My previous experience in the Americorps makes me an ideal candidate, as well as my love of children’s literature and my ability to think of innovative ideas on the spot. I can offer ReadBoston and unique perspective.

Why do you want to work for this company?
ReadBoston’s emphasis on community as a means of abolishing illiteracy in children below 3rd grade level appeals to me on many levels. I admire the way teachers, volunteers, and even corporations are banding together to try to prevent illiteracy. I would like to be a part of that.

Can you explain this gap in your employment?
I spent that year in the process of trying to find a new job as well as working on several stories, poems and essays.

Why are you applying for an Americorps job instead of a non profit job?

Do you have any questions?

· what obstacles the organization anticipates in meeting its goals
· how the organization's goals have changed over the past three to five years.
· What’s a typical day like working for Read Boston?

There's a couple I can't figure out professional answers for. like, I can't answer, I can't find a regular non-profit job, which is why I'm joining Acorps. Nor can I say that it's due to the steady money I can get no matter how many times I get sick.
Quite frankly, I can't understand why I am applying for this job in the first place... I'm way to intraverted.

[ April 12, 2004, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Syn! Sounds great! Oh, but don't include that last paragraph in your answer. [ROFL]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Synth,

The problem with these answers is they don't tell the interviewer anything new - I assume pretty much all this is on your resume. Take a look at the answer to "Why should we hire you?" They know you were in AmeriCorps (I assume that's prominently featured on your resume). Now's your chance to tell them what you learned in AmeriCorps that will help ReadBoston accomplish its goals.

I don't know enough to provide a good answer, but you'll want to use it to accomplish 2 things: 1.) Demonstrate you know and care what ReadBoston is trying to accomplish and how the position helps the organization achieve the goal, and 2.) Explain how some specific skill or technique you learned in AmeriCorp will help. Try to use an anecdote to pull it all together.

You might want to try this quiz. They'll probably try to sell you something at the end - just ignore that.

Is this a permanent position or one with a term to it (like a 1 year post, etc.)? The reason it's important is that no one wants to hear a potential hire for a permanent position say they view it as a stepping stone, unless it's a stepping stone within the organization.

If it's temporary, it's perfectly acceptable to say you're trying to acquire some skill that you hope to use in a specific future career. Just make sure the future career is one in line with ReadBoston's goals (literacy, education, or at least non-profit) and that you can specifically talk about how you will use the experience. Most non-profits with limited term positions want to help produce good non-profit workers as part of their goals. Just make sure you make it clear that the learning is to help with the next job and that you already know enough to do this job.

Good luck!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. It's a one year position...
Trying to do interviews reminds me of writing poems with iambic pentameter and a b a b rhyme scheme.
It's too structured and makes me feel stifled... Like I have to hold too much back.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn!! The same place is calling you AGAIN?? After you thought you bombed the last interview? I don't think so! They obviously think very highly of you to be calling you again!

I agree with Dag about telling them something new about you that explains why they should choose you. In addition, I'd say that you definitely need to be able to answer these questions without reading or reciting them, as people tend to be able to tell if you're doing that. Do whatever it takes to make yourself relaxed and confident during the conversation, and whaever you do, SMILE! You can hear if a person is smiling or not over the phone, and it really helps make you sound relaxed. And if they say something funny, feel free to chuckle at it. Have fun with it, like you're talking to an old friend who just happens to have an opening at their company for you.

Confidence and enthusiasm are the secret weapons of all good interviewers. If you exude both, they'll be leaping at the chance to hire you. [Smile]

Go get 'em!

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The best interviews will seem much more like conversations than interviews. Even if questions are asked, they will be flowing naturally from the answers to the questions.

For a 1-year position, I would definitely start preparing by writing a "story" of what I want to be doing 5 years from now and how this job will help get you there.

Then come up with another story about why you will be good for ReadBoston based on what you've already done.

You won't ever tell these stories from start to finish. Instead, they will inform every answer you give them. Just make sure they're true - you can't sell something you wouldn't buy.

You are perfectly suited for this job - the interview is an opportunity for you to demonstrate this.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Your name is Shondolyn? That's awesome! [Wink]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Yeah... It is a very unique name ^^

Tell me about yourself-
My name is Shondolyn Gibson. I am a 25-year-old recent college graduate looking to advance my career.
I graduated from St. Lawrence University in the year 2000. I majored in English writing. From September 2001-July 2002 I worked as a volunteer at Leaps in Literacy, an Americorps organization in Brockton, MA. I tutored second and third graders in reading.
What sort of skills do you think are useful for this position?

What are your goals?
I hope to use my year of ReadBoston service to hone my skills towards a non-profit job in the future, as I have a strong interest in work that benifits the community. I also hope to become a writer within the next five years.

Why should we hire you?
My previous experience in the Americorps makes me an ideal candidate, as well as my love of children’s literature and my ability to think of innovative ideas on the spot. I can offer ReadBoston and unique perspective.

Why do you want to work for this company?
ReadBoston’s emphasis on community as a means of abolishing illiteracy in children below 3rd grade level appeals to me on many levels. I admire the way teachers, volunteers, and even corporations are banding together to try to prevent illiteracy. I would like to be a part of that.

Can you explain this gap in your employment?
I spent that year in the process of trying to find a new job as well as working on several stories, poems and essays.

Why are you applying for an Americorps job instead of a non profit job? The education award or stipend at the end of service is a plus, as well as spending a year gaining more experience.

Do you have any questions?

· what obstacles the organization anticipates in meeting its goals
· how the organization's goals have changed over the past three to five years.
· What’s a typical day like working for Read Boston?

[ April 11, 2004, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

*bump*
It was different. She asked me six questions. I was nervous, but I think I did ok!
Plus it's practice at least. Later on I got to go on Boston works or something and look for library jobs.
How's this thank you letter?

Thank you for taking the time to interview me. The information was fascinating, especially about the problems that can come up and how to solve them.
I was especially interested in how ReadBoston obtains books to distribute to schools. I have worked in a library in the past and have also participated in book drives so I know what it's like trying to gather books, organize them and distribute them to children.
The best part about that was seeing the looks on the kid's faces when they got their books. It was a joy to have a small part in helping children to become enthusiastic about literature.
Once again, thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*cheers* They called you back! Go Syn!!!

I think I'd make your thank you slightly more formal. Once again you've got a good nucleus to start from. Work it into at least two paragraphs. Paraphrase from the other one to flesh it out if you need to but try to emphasise the new stuff you have here.

I want to see what you can do on your own before I slash and burniniate it. [Wink]

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Well, I actually called them... My phone is disconnected so I got to use my comp phone [Frown]

Thank you for taking the time to interview me. The information was fascinating, especially about the problems and challenges one can face working in ReadBoston and how to handle them.
I was especially interested in how ReadBoston obtains books to distribute to schools in lending library programs. I have worked in a library in the past and have also participated in book drives so I have first hand experience gathering books, organizing them and distributing them to children.
My favorite part working in such a program was seeing the looks on the children’s faces after they received their books. It was a joy to have a small part in helping children to become enthusiastic about literature.
Once again, thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.

What I have so far...

[ April 12, 2004, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Syn, awesome!
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Thanks. I think I'll send this letter off at 3 o clock.
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it! Very natural-sounding. [Smile]

Good luck!

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.