FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Adventuring in Babylon... [Update: party's chosen.] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Adventuring in Babylon... [Update: party's chosen.]
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
All right. I had some inspiration to start world-building again recently, and based on what I've come up with (not without mucho help from Slash the Berzerker, mind you), I've decided to start up my very own play-by-email RPG, probably using the open source 3.5E d20 rules.

I've already had a few flickers of interest both here and elsewhere, but thought I'd make it official by starting a thread.

What I'm looking for are character ideas, the same way as with the last two games that got started up (Slash's and FlyingCow's). The most important thing is a sketch (however rough) of the character's history. The ones I ultimately settle on for the game will be the ones that best mesh with the world and allow for the creation of interesting story and roleplay situations.

The game will be strongly focused on roleplaying – I may not even be awarding experience for killing monsters, that has yet to be decided.

Here is some background about the world, which is based loosely on ancient Babylon...

GENERAL WORLD NOTES

The nation of Khadanira, in the world of Hadim, has natural borders on three sides – ocean to the west, desert to the south, and mountains to the east. Climate in the nation ranges from arid in the south to Mediterranean in the north, with yellowed grasslands crossed by the occasional river. The capital city, which shares the nation’s name, sits on a peninsula that juts out into the ocean. There are other cities of varying size along the coast, and several others inland on or near life-giving rivers.

Khadanira the city is a thriving, bustling metropolis. It is the seat of the God-King Naugadessar, being closest to the holy mountain of Abiratash – a dormant volcanic island just north of Khadanira. It is said to be where the first true God-King gave himself over to the Spirit of Maumatuch, the patron god of Khadanira.

Religion and superstition are of fundamental importance to the people of Khadanira, though the influence of organized religion lessens with increasing distance from the capital city. Maumatuch, though the patron god of Khadanira, is not supreme among the gods. Maruh, the First Word, that which wrote the other Words into the fabric of the Universe, rules over all of the gods. Maruh is patron to no country, but to the entire world of Hadim.

The priests of Maumatuch wield tremendous political and social power in Khadanira city. They are advisors to the God-King in addition to guiding the people in how best to live. In the city there are two ziggurat-temples – one to Maumatuch and one to Maruh. There are also smaller temples and places of worship scattered about the city.

Among the common folk, charms and other superstitions are everywhere. Commoners’ homes are made from sandstone or clay, and above every door and every window is carved a Word of warding. In the upper class, houses are made of harder stone – marble, or other ores, and the Words are less present.

In fact, stone and gems are one of the most important commodities in the nation. Khadanirans trade stone, gems, and grain with their neighbours to the north of the Earata river, both overland and on coastal sea routes. There is also some trade across the Akkad Sea. Khadanira city and other coastal cities such as Baladan, across the Bay of the God from the capital. The inland cities are lesser trade centres and trade stopovers for caravans from the north heading to the larger coastal cities.

To the south, in the Nezheb Deset, live the Berwaan. They are a nomadic people who only come north into Khadanira to trade quarrying rights to sandstone deposits in on the Nezheb’s outskirts for metal tools and other crafted goods they can’t make for themselves. They also trade other, less common things, such as the skins and eggs of the great sand lizards that live in the deep desert.

To the east, where the Nezheb meets the Kinshu Mountains, lie vast and largely unexplored ruins. These ruins are the sites of massive, ancient cities – the power-centres of a civilization long since scattered and ruined. The Kinshu separate Khadanira from the land of Ammur, about which very little is known.

The characters will be part of a travelling caravan coming from a large town in northern Khadanira toward Baladan, and ultimately on to Khadanira city itself.

SPECIFIC NOTES

Combat

Armor – because of the arid temperatures of much of Khadanira, heavy armor is quite rare. Most soldiers wear armor of boiled or studded leather, with chain and scale mail being common for heavy foot soldiers. Any armor type would still tend to expose as much skin as possible in non vital areas to keep the soldier cool. Bare legs with armored torsos are quite common. Plate and full plate would be almost non existent, as the temperatures would make such full body coverings unworkable.

Weapons – because combat skills rely more on speed and accuracy than on the ability to penetrate heavy armor, most weapons are light and quick. Scimitars and other single-edged, one-handed swords are very common. Short bows that can be used from horseback are also a favorite weapon, as most soldiers are trained to fight while mounted. Spears and lances are used mostly by ground troops, though mounted soldiers may sometimes use a light spear. Tower shields are sometimes used by frontline shock troops, where large groups of pikemen tend to form defensive hedgehogs in close quarters battles.

Magic

Spells – there being no centres of wizardly magic in Khadanira, spell scrolls are few and far between. Spellbooks and scrolls carried by wizards, clerics, and messengers in the region require protection from the arid climate – scrolls are always bound in cases and books are always sealed.

Items – there are a great many items of magical nature… or at least, items that are believed to be magical. Commoners in the cities carry amulets and charms to ward evil or bring luck. Priests wear holy pendants that bring power or other benefits. Some of these are genuine, but most hold no more power than a rock in the street.

Character classes

Clerics – priests are very political in Khadanira. All clerics native to the city will hold multiple offices, both religious and temporal. They often act as magistrates and judges, and may control portions of the city guard. They collect taxes for the king, and demand obeisance be made to the many statues of the god-king, and of his patron Maumatuch. Berwaan clerics from the desert are exlcusively Water-Makers, a very specialized type of priest whose major purpose is the creation of water for his fellow tribesmen.

Wizard and sorcerers – non-clerical magic is forbidden in the capital city. Wizards within the borders of the empire are almost always members of trading caravans from other places, as there are no schools at which to learn magic inside Khadanira. Sorcerers who live in the empire will be secretive and unwilling to use their gifts openly, as any citizen who was caught using such arts would be taken before the priests for judgment. Foreign wizards are tolerated, but use of their magics in the larger cities would bring the priests down on them.

Fighters and paladins – there are many soldiers in the empire, including members of the kings armies, city guards, and caravan guards. There are holy warriors as well, though they will be closely tied to the priests of the city, and are often members of the God-King’s personal guard.

Barbarians and rangers – rangers can often be found as caravan guides and as scouts for the army. Barbarians will almost exclusively be members of the southern desert tribes. These men live in the harsh desert, and are skilled in survival and concealment. They are also rumored to be able to drive themselves into a battle fury that is terrible to behold. They will tend to be suspicious of those who pay fealty to the empire and the God-King, as they have their own gods.

Rogues and bards – rogues are the most common character class in the empire’s cities, though most do not possess a great measure of skill. Larger cities will have thriving theives’ guilds, though, who expect a cut of whatever chenanigans are conducted within the city’s borders. Bards are uncommon, though what few there are would either be travelling minstrels, singing on street corners or restaurants, or possibly attendants at the court of an upper-class citizen.

Druids – Khadanira has no druids. Druids could conceivably come from the north or across the ocean – though the Berwaan tribes that live as far south into the Nezheb as humans can are rumoured to be possessed of strange shapeshifting powers.

Monks – Khadanira also has no monks, since only state-sponsored organized religion is acceptable to the clergy in Khadanira. A monk in the nation would be a very strange occurance. The state and the clergy would not take kindly to a monk spouting blasphemous views in Maumatuch’s country.

Psionics – There are no psionicists in the world of Hadim, and with good reason.

Character races

Humans – yep, it’s basically all about the humans. The further south you go, the darker the skin and hair of the populace.

Halflings, dwarves, gnomes – there aren’t any. None in Khadanira, at any rate.

Elves – Elves are a rarity in Khadanira. No one knows where they’re from or why the mysteriously appear from time to time in cities, sometimes silently observing, sometimes preaching, spouting doomsday warnings. That they generally appear around the time of the celestial equinox of the moons – about three times per year.

Other, weirder races – No. This region of the world is for the humans.

If you're interested, either post here or drop me a line (raja at strobelight dot ca).

[ April 18, 2004, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Two other things. First, here is a map of Khadanira.

Second, I'd like to again extend copious thanks to Slash for giving me so much help with design and names. Some of the text in the above post is his.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son_of_Priam
Member # 6411

- posted      Profile for Son_of_Priam   Email Son_of_Priam         Edit/Delete Post 
seeing as I have virtually no life, and all the immagination hasn't been beaten out of me yet I think i can put something together, maybe sketch up some stuff. I would definately like in on this though.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

An addendum:

I've already been asked about a deadline by a couple of people. I'm thinking a week at the least. So definitely one week, maybe eight or nine days.

The party will be starting at either the second or third level.

And just to stress this again, you're going to need a plausible explanation for your character's presence as a member of (or guard of) this trading caravan.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Should we post our ideas in this thread or email them?
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Well... email, I suppose, since it's probably best if the characters don't know one anothers' history. But general question should be posted so the thread doesn't die. [Smile]
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds fun, twink, but I've never done RPG before. Are you wanting people with experience?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Not necessarily, no. [Smile] Both myself and the more experienced players will be able to give you rules help if you need it.

Take a gander at the archives of Slash's game for an idea of how it works. Usually, the rules don't come up all that often for the players, and that'll be even more true of my game.

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
go get a life

[Razz]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I have over four thousand posts on this forum. Clearly I have no life. [Wink]

I was just asked about starting level – it'll either be level 2 or level 3. Level 1 is a bit too fragile for this world; I'd like the characters to live at least a little while. [Razz]

Edit: One more thing. Whenever you email your character ideas to me, include your Hatrack username so I know who you are. [Smile]

[ April 11, 2004, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds cool. I'll need considrable help though, since I haven't played D&D for a loooooooonnng time.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, twink, your world sounds cool. But since I'm already in two games, I think it'd be kind of unfair for me to try to get into this one too. Of course, if you don't get enough applications, let me know. [Wink]

Also, it sounded on sakeriver like you've got the whole archiving thing worked out, but if you decide that you'd like to keep your archives at sakeriver, I'd be more than happy to accommodate you.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Any restrictions on alignment?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. A third level character? Good level. Are those the only classes available? I've been playing with the idea of a Favored Soul or a Marshall. But I haven't done a Rogue or a Ranger yet (or a real wizard for that matter).

Sounds really cool. I'll see if I have time.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Nonevil alignments would be nice. I'd like the party to at least have a chance of getting along. [Razz]

Favoured Soul? Marshal? These words mean nothing to me [Razz] If you want to play something different – and you're sure it'll fit with the world – just explain to me what it is or tell me where to find it in the rules when you send me your sketch.

eslaine
Member # 5433

Cool.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Upon consultation, a Favoured Soul is a no-go... it doesn't work in the world, for mechanics reasons.

[ April 12, 2004, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Just sent you a character sketch twinky; let me know what you think.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

'sokay! I think I wanna do a Ranger or Rogue anyway. (prob a rogue) I'll email later....
twinky
Member # 693

The characters will be starting at level 3, I've decided.
Noemon
Member # 1115

The character I submitted was for a thief/sorcerer. We'll see if twinky likes it.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Are you allowing multi- and duel class characters? I envisioned the character I sent you as being multiclassed rather than duel classed, by the way.
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in, if you'll have me.
Look for a profile in the next day or so.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's a difference in 3.5

All classes gain XP at the same rate, when you go up a level you pick a class and add 1 level of that class. So if you're a 4th level fighter and go up a level you could pick 5th level fighter or 1st level anything else.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Really? That makes more sense, actually. I always thought that the idea of a duel class character was kind of stupid, honestly.
twinky
Member # 693

BtL's right.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Cool.
twinky
Member # 693

As far as stats are concerned, the point buy system works as follows:

Each stat starts with a base of 8. You have 30 points to spend to increase that as you see fit:

9-12 costs 1 point each
13-15 costs 2 points each
16-18 costs 4 points each

Stats over 18 aren't allowed.

I'm only posting this because I know at least one person who likes to work out stats before shaping the character's personality and backstory. When you send me your character concept, I don't want to see stats. Not yet. Classes/levels yes, stats no. Once the final party is settled I'll want to see the stats of the players and how they spent their points, but not till then.

[ April 12, 2004, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

eslaine
Member # 5433

Generous stats! Thanks!

Edit: Oh, and....

quote:
All classes gain XP at the same rate, when you go up a level you pick a class and add 1 level of that class. So if you're a 4th level fighter and go up a level you could pick 5th level fighter or 1st level anything else.
In v3.5 multiclassing is still the same. You forgot to mention XP penalties for classes that are more than two levels apart. In d20 Modern, however, there is no XP penalty for multiclassing.

Humans often make good multiclass characters, along with half elves, in that their highest level is not considered for XP penalty purposes.

But I am not an authority yet. Ask Tom and Slash about XP penalties....

[ April 12, 2004, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: eslaine ]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

By the by, I'm tentatively giving an in, if I can think of a decent character...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Gee, Ryuko, I thought you would hold out for the BESM (Big Eyes Small Mouth) supplement. Some of the anime character stuff is great!
Ryuko
Member # 5125

[Razz] Actually, I've fallen madly in love with Feng Shui. It's like fecking PLAYING an ACTION MOVIE. AHHHH!!!

My character is a martial artist. #^-^#

twinky
Member # 693

Actually, those stats are less generous than Ty's game, and equivalent to Matt's game, IIRC.

Edit: I'm aiming to have a party of six. Right now it looks like I'll have more submissions than party spots, so I'll just choose the six that fit best with the world and story.

[ April 12, 2004, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, eslaine, the penalty is for classes that are more than *1* level apart, not 2.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, here's some questions about this world:

Are there any humanoids like kobolds, orcs, goblins, ogres, trolls, giants, etc?

What are appropriate racial enemies for a ranger?

How common are magic items in this world? How possible is it to commision specific magic items?

You have changed how divine magic works. How does the spell Faith Healing work now?

What languages are used in this area?

Are there any prestige classes that we could eventually qualify for?

[ April 12, 2004, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Sorry, see what I mean? But you are, of course, correct.

[ April 12, 2004, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: eslaine ]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Another question:

How tight of a leash does the church keep its priests on? Is there a possiblity for someone like Friar Tuck?

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Another question: Are there any groups that practice any kind of healing magic but that don't worship any god?
twinky
Member # 693

>> Are there any humanoids like kobolds, orcs, goblins, ogres, trolls, giants, etc? <<

Not really. On the fringes in some areas there are some monsters such as these – for instance, where the desert meets the mountains, there are some goblins. In the northeast, where the mountains meet the sea, there are also goblins. There are no such humanoinds in the east.

>> What are appropriate racial enemies for a ranger? <<

Ah, racial enemies. Your options at the outset will be quite limited, but if the game goes for long enough for you to choose a second, you will have more choices.

There are the aforementioned goblins in the southeast and northeast. There are also elves in the east, though that would require some backstory. There are various kinds of monsters in the Akkad sea, so a ranger from the coast could conceivably take a class of sea monsters as a racial enemy. Additionally, it would be quite possible to choose a human racial enemy – the soldiers of a foreign power, or the Berwaan to the south. One of the northern nations – Masuur – is not at all friendly with Khadanira, though the two nations do engage in trade. There are occasional border spats. Also, the God-Kings soldiers occasionally roam south and "cull" the Berwaan tribes as much as they can, since the Berwaan sometimes raid southern villages and so forth.

>> How common are magic items in this world? How possible is it to commision specific magic items? <<

True magic, or charms that people believe have power? All sorts of people carry amulets and whatnot, but most of it is just superstition. Items of real power are rare among the lower classes but more common among the upper classes, some of whom can even distinguish true magic-workers from the far more common charlatans.

It isn't possible to commission magical items unless you can find a poweful wizard somewhere. There aren't any who live openly in Khadaniran cities.

>> You have changed how divine magic works. How does the spell Faith Healing work now? <<

I don't see that spell in the lists. You'll have to tell me how it worked before.

I have changed the power behind "divine" magic; priests who can work true magic gain their spells through a combination of prayer and study of their sacred texts. An analogous situation in the real world would be if you could spend a night studying the Qur'an and then get up the next morning and heal someone by touching them.

Priests with true power are few and far between in Khadaniran cities; a "Friar Tuck" type is what you'd be more likely to run into outside of a major urban centre. Priests with true power tend to follow one of two paths – either they become independent, or they realize that their power can get them a long way in the structured clergy of cities and abuse it.

>> What languages are used in this area? <<

Khadanirans share a common tongue, but the Berwaan have a language of their own. Some northerners would have familiarity with the languages of the two bordering countries to the north.

>> Are there any prestige classes that we could eventually qualify for? <<

Haven't even thought about it. But given that you're starting at level 3, that sort of thing isn't going to come up for a looooong time. I'm the sort of DM with whom you'll spend as much time at level 3 as you do at level 13; I don't power my players through low levels.

Edit: as to your last question – no, not currently, but I'd be open to the possibility of such a group if you're willing to sketch it out for me. [Smile]

[ April 12, 2004, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

Twinky: Check your email for my profile draft. [Smile]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Some more questsions:
Is this more of a city-based or wilderness-based campaign?

You say we will be starting out as guards of a caravan. Where is this caravan going from and to?

twinky
Member # 693

Where things go from the caravan will depend entirely on the actions of the party.

The caravan is leaving from a city in northern Khadanira and heading for Baladan, then the plan is for it to go from Baladan on to Khadanira city.

Edit: You don't have to be guarding the caravan, you just have to be part of it in some way. This saves me the trouble of contriving some means of bringing the party together.

[ April 12, 2004, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
twinky, if I send you my basic idea for a character, can you help me fill in the details? It's been a long time since I've played D&D. A very long time.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, THAT Babylon! I am glad I popped in here. I am writing a story set in ancient Sumer, and I would love to learn how to play your game. Is it hard to learn?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Derrell, at this stage, all I want is the basic idea. Once I've chosen six players, I'll work with those six on fleshing out character details.

Elizabeth, it isn't the real Babylon, but rather a world of my own design based on ancient Babylon. [Smile] D&D is... hm. I wouldn't say it's hard to learn, but I wouldn't say it's easy either.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Only six players, eh? I guess that will make it kinda hard to get in?
twinky
Member # 693

I wasn't expecting there to be nearly this much interest. I figured most people would be put off by the world and how particular I am about flavour. Evidently I misjudged [Razz]

Edit: But yeah, six players. PBEM would just go way too slowly with more than that, and I think that's about the right size for a party anyway. If there hadn't been very much interest I might have even gone with five.

[ April 12, 2004, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You could make a teaching version.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

You mean a teaching version of the game?
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

yes

A beginner's game.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.