FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone able to give legal guidance?

Author Topic: Anyone able to give legal guidance?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
No, really isn't about me.

But I have a friend that is embarassed, but needs help. Can't reveal who it is or identifying details.

And it wouldn't be Offical Legal Advice.

Anyway. Please email me. Is in my profile.

Thanks. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Suuuuure it's not about you....

What type of law would the person need some expertise in? For example, my Mom knows enough about employment law to be able to steer to the right place for legal advice. But she knows squat about medical malpractice or divorce or any other type of law.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
criminal law o_O
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to help out but somehow I think NZ criminal law is a little different to the US... [Smile]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
If it's criminal law and the person seeking advice is the one facing criminal liability, the jurisdiction (not just the state, but the municipal jurisdiction as well) will be critical. If it's a question about whether or not something is criminal, then at least the state needs to be known.

Criminal is nothing to mess with. People go to jail all the time when they could have gotten charges dismissed because they didn't get a lawyer soon enough. Try to talk him/her out of the embarassment and contact the local bar association for the name of a criminal lawyer in the area.

Hope everything works out for your friend.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, I hope you got the advice you needed. My firm has strict rules about us offering legal advice (official and unofficial) to non-clients, because under certain state laws my advice could be interpreted as an tacit agreement by the firm to represent your friend. Even our probono work is limited to very specific causes that has to be pre approved. [Frown]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I could answer very general questions, but Crim Law is not at all my field.

Now if you want to sell some property and need to file reams of documents with HUD, I'm your man. If you live in Vegas.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.