FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Will G-Mail outshine Hotmail?

Author Topic: Will G-Mail outshine Hotmail?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Linky

quote:
Online search engine leader Google Inc plans a free email service providing 250-500 times more storage space than market leaders Yahoo! Inc and Microsoft Corp, delivering the latest challenge in a fierce fight for web supremacy

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I don't think [the ads] will be annoying at all," Page said. "We think this will give us a business model that will work and allow us to provide a high-quality service."

*snort* SUUUURE. Having links in private emails to web-ads won't be annoying at all! [Roll Eyes]

Why does the article have a dateline of April 2? It's April FIRST! (Is that it? Is this really a joke?)

[Confused] All their articles say April 2. Weird.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, that particular article was out of Australia -- are they ahead of us on the timeline?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's likely it -- it is already tomorrow in Australia. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
aren't they behind us? Isn't it yesterday in Australia?

[ April 01, 2004, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The web ads would be like google's ads, where they have small text based messages. You've likely seen them on google's searches (look to the right, and directly above the searches) and on many web pages. They're nonintrusive, and tailor themselves to the content making them have a much higher rate of interest.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
Anything would outshine hotmail.
Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
They probably dated them April 2nd so people wouldn't believe it's an April First joke. I've seen a lot of people trying to figure out if it's a complete joke.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Am I the only one that thinks "G-mail" sounds like the female equivalent of a penis enlargment add?

Are we sure this isn't an April Fools?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
Google has shown in the past that they are some shrewd businesspeople. Just look at their frontpage compared to yahoo's front page. Look at the lack of clutter, the simple acessibility of all their options. Yahoo is a frenzied circus of trash. I think google will do well in the free e-mail market, if indeed it is their aim and not a joke.

[ April 01, 2004, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Robespierre ]

Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Sarmup, I believe that EVERYONE is ahead of us. If I'm not mistaken, the sun sets for the world in Hawaii or whatever tiny islands.

I always get confused...the IDL goes through Greenwich, but the Prime Meridian goes through the Pacific Ocean? Isn't that right?

In that case, maybe that WOULD put Australia ahead of us.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Other way around.

I think.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
The Prime Meridian is in Greenwich? Is that what you're saying?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Japan's a full day behind, aren't they? I think I remember something from The Three Ninjas where they thought they missed the Sunday game while they were in Japan but really it was only Saturday in the States.

And Australia's somewhere between Japan and Hawaii...

[ April 01, 2004, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

3 Ninjas!!!!

*Adds Sarcastic Muppet to "human list"*

LOL.....you guys are really impressing me today.

I'm so happy, let's talk about 3 Ninjas.

"You are very worthy opponent, Spaz."

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Time Zone Map

FG

peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Gmail Home Page

There is a link to an FAQ where you can submit your email address to be notified when it goes online.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
To me, GMail reminds me of GMan... Which makes it sounds cool and intimidating. I'd sign up just so I could say, "I'm on GMail."
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate this day of the year. I have to ignore almost everything I see/read, and then check the next day to see how full of it people were.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I know what you mean. In ninth grade, my best friend's cat got hit by a car on April Fools' day. When she told me about it, I didn't believe her, and I laughed at her. But it had really happened. [Frown] I have had a grudge against this day ever since.
peterh
Member # 5208

My wife's name is April. She hates it because as a kid it was always, "April's a fool day."
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

More info at:

http://www.google.com/gmail/help/about.html#interest

FG

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
i think every news article read today should be read from a very suspicious point of view.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Or, you know, *every* day too.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
touche!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
What about...
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.homestarrunner.com [ROFL]
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
luthe: interesting observation

Google already has the obligatory April Fool's prank, but perhaps that's a feint, a red herring.

----
It seems to me that there is an academic paper to be done on how the semiotics of April Fool's Day pranks has changed with the advent of the Web.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, CNN Money is convinced it is NOT a prank -- and says they have confirmed it is true in interviews with Google marketers.

Farmgirl

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't believe it. One GB per person? That is preposterous.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently it's legit, a victim of bad timing. Forbes article
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

One gigabyte per person isn't preposterous at all. Think about where google's expertise is -- massive farms of consumer computers. Considering the google search database stores itself in RAM, they probably have lots of HD space floating around that they're just not using. And even if they open up whole new farms, since they already have the management technology developed the biggest costs are taken care of. The hardware technology is comparatively cheap, especially if they make it all viewed as one massive disk image and dynamically allocate accounts (like they will). I bet most people's accounts won't go over 50 Megabytes for years, and not over 500 until past 2010 (note, I'm saying the average account, not all accounts by any means). They should be able to do it with under $5 million in initial hardware outlay (and likely even less)
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Fugu, most absolutely right. It will be great.
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Heck, even if they stick it all in RAM its not preposterous. In fact, that would make it even easier in certain ways. 2 GB of RAM per computer (2 to keep it cost effective) at under $500 a pop per computer. More likely under $300 if they're skimping the hard drive and processor which would be more important in an HD based system. At 50 MB a person, that's about 40 people per computer. So an initial expenditure of between seven and eight dollars a person.

Significantly higher initial outlay, but still manageable. And likely to grow much, much cheaper over the years -- there are several memory technologies in commercial development right now that promise to increase both speed and density of RAM.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, and with their highly successful ad model, they'll probably sell enough advertising in the first year (possibly much less, this has been highly anticipated) to completely cover startup costs.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Screenshots:

http://fury.com/article/1990.php

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Does hotmail even shine?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Cheaper than that, fugu13. A single computer can be configured to handle many hard drives.

What's cute is that Googlemail will "read" your messages, and tailor ads based on key words&phrases contained within the text. And no, it doesn't mean that your privacy will be violated any more than by sending clear text through your InternetServiceProvider.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Especially considering pretty much all ISPs use spam filtering that filters based on message content. Thats just as much of a privacy "concern".

Re: what I was estimating, recall I was estimating prices for the necessary computers plus a reasonable quantity of hard drive space. Google's strategy so far hasn't been to load up as much as possible in a given computer, but to get off the shelf computers in large numbers with smaller individual capabilities, and I'm pretty certain they'll continue that strategy.

peterh
Member # 5208

Gmail Review on Forbes.com

According to this, the spying ads have disappeard from the beta.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.