FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » some good info (click on the link inside)

Author Topic: some good info (click on the link inside)
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
toughchoices

Takes just a little bit of time to load, and well worth watching. Thought provoking in a media byte way -

[ March 21, 2004, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes and no.

Obviously, they're promoting an organization, so they have to paint the bleakest picture. However, they left out a lot.

For example, in NYC a MetroCard is $840/year for unlimited bus and subway usage. Many employers pay for their employees' MetroCards and there are also many ways to get discounts. All students in NYC public schools get free MetroCards during the school year.

There are also many places that offer child care discounts. The YMCA has many children on financial aid and gives full rides to many underprivilged children.

On the other hand, I think they underestimated the health care costs. There are so many health plans where people end up paying out the ear, despite their coverage.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Hi Mrs. M! [Wave]

There are indeed many caring and concerned folks/agencies out there that help as much as they can, I know. But that still doesn't make a dent in the overall problem.

That last slide showing all the usual sorts of things that get left behind after the "basics" are somehow met kind of bugged my eyes - too fast. Maybe that was the point . . .

Anyway - I liked the show because I hadn't seen it put quite so succintly before -

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really understand how America, who prides itself in having the largest economy in the world can have such a high poverty rate. Can someone explain this to me?
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yogi, if you compare poverty in our country to poverty in much of the rest of the world...

It can get desperately bad here, but in so many places the worst case for an American is the daily life of much of the population.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but my point is that America is supposed to have the largest economy in the world and still there are people living in desperate poverty.

My question is why?

[ March 22, 2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: St. Yogi ]

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on your definition of poverty. No one (or few enough not to matter) starves in the USA.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is a hidden agenda behind that child care thing that sent the family into the red. They probably want socialized child care, birth control, or free abortions. Anybody at the poverty level is going to find a way around spending one-fourth of their income on child care.

Hold on, that's the National Conference of Catholic Bishops. So they're not advocating abortion or birth control.

[ March 22, 2004, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: skillery ]

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

It's a crying shame, St. Yogi. I don't have an answer.

Even our poorest don't have life as bad as, say, someone in a third world country starving, family dead of AIDS, and children trying to raise children. But that does not excuse the good ole U.S.A. from the huge (and widening) gap between the haves and have-nots. It's particularly distressing when you take a look at such things as infant mortality (a rate easily lessened by such mundane and trivial items as adequate nutrition and reasonable access to medical care during pregnancy as well as post-partum.)

It's even more distressing, the poverty in this oh so wealthy country, when you see how deeply this country significantly impacts economics and poverty and health worldwide.

Besides, luthe makes such a valid point - what's the big deal if a couple million citizens live barely hand-to-mouth and suffer from the effects of malnutrition, lack of access to medical/dental care, and all the stressors that go along with living in poverty. They don't really count for anything, do they? [Roll Eyes] Pardon my sarcasm.

BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
That link is incorrect. The Bush administration lowered the poverty level from 18k to 15k to try and make the economy look better. Even under that altered system though, the poverty rate from 2000-2002 more than doubled from 5% to 11%. Another side effect of Bush lowering the poverty level is that all those people between 15k-18k that were recieving benefits no longer do so.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.