FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Bible study thread?

Author Topic: A Bible study thread?
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
has this been done before? I would be interested in something like this. Not a place to argue about what is the correct religion of if its ok to be both christian and homosexual but a thread to discuss the relevance of scripture in todays world. Simiar to a bible study group that would be held on sunday afternoon in your local church. Just a place where we can discuss the good book.

Is there much interest in something like this? I definately would not be the person to start the threads because I am not very up on my studies but I want to be. I think this could be a nice positive weekly thread.

Just a thought.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
sounds like a good idea
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a lot of different types of Sunday afternoon Bible study. Can you elaborate a little on what you'd like to see in such a thread, or how you see it functioning?

[ March 19, 2004, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in this as well! [Smile]
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

See, I'm not really sure. I have never really been much of a sunday school/bible study kind of person. So I was hoping to just throw the idea out there and have someone else more qualified *cough* dkw *cough* take it form there. I am interested but not very well informed. I really hope to just have a reason to start reading my Bible more often.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Could we try to stick to a single topic in the Bible for at least a day?
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
If we use scriptural references, could we link to an online Bible, rather than just citing chapter and verse?
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to join (a friend of mine and I in RL were talking about this recently), but it depends on the ground rules. I don't see much chance for me if the groundrules states that the bible is inerrant, since I am not an inerrancy-proponent.

But if people are willing to suffer such a viewpoint, I may try it out.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I guess my question was, are you thinking of a more academic study, where we compare various interpretations, discuss historical context, author’s intent, etc., or the type of study where we all read and pray with a selected scripture for several days, and then talk about how it intersects our lives, personally?

If you’re thinking the latter, I have a lectio divina (holy reading) model I’ve used with groups on retreats. I’d be fascinated to see if we could make it work with a dispersed group.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

The second idea, yes. The whole academic thing sounds too much like work. I just want something to help us all deal with daily life and bring us together in a more spiritual way.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack: dkw's next theology paper...
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Where's digging_holes? He would totally be into this.

*calls* Daaaaaviiiiiiddddd!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I was just going to say that the academic way looked like more fun, but then i'm not particularly spiritual, but i think the bible is a great story.

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
You called?

*looks around*

Hmm, this does sound interesting....

*takes a seat*

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
I do think there should be some kind of guidelines, so we don't spend a lot of time arguing.
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I suggest we start on Monday, since the board doesn't get much traffic over the weekend. If you all want to try lectio I'll type up the process and some guidelines to get us started. Then we can try it once and decide if we like it or want to try something else.
skrika03
Member # 5930

(((dkw)))
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I have much more fun on the academic side, but I'd be willing to hang abouts for the other kind, too!
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand*

I want in!

Are we going to stick with one particular version, say, NIV or NAS?

If so, there are lots of places on the web we can link to for verses.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
*tries to think of a funny-snide KJV snob remark and fails*

never mind

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
UofLaw, when I'm reading for fun, just to relax or to be uplifted or encouraged, I read KJV. When I'm reading for study I use either NIV or NAS. That's why I mentioned those two. [Smile]

I'll join a study in whatever version, though.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I like NKJV. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it really matters if we each use whichever version we're most comfortable with. As this is an exercise in how the scriptures impact our personal lives surely each of us need to use the format we relate with best.

As all the chapters and verses are numbered the same there shouldn't be a problem with us using different versions.

Personally I've only ever used the KJV and the other versions/ formats just don't work for me.

[ March 19, 2004, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: cochick ]

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it matters at all - let each use their own. You're generally not going to get much theological difference between translations at all (with the exception of perhaps the New World Translation).
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, count me in! I think it's a great idea. I love bible study with a religiously mixed group. The diversity of viewpoints makes it a particularly enriching experience, I think.

In fact, something I wanted to do with my RL bible study was to open up the field of study to include scriptures from other religions, too. We took turns leading the discussion, and on my day I was wanting to compare how different religions approach the same theological concept each from their own particular angle, and how seeing the different angles can enrich your understanding of that concept inside your own religion. The group wasn't too fond of that idea, though, wanting no part of my heterodoxy, perhaps [Smile] but maybe this group would find it interesting?

Anyway, if we end up taking turns with lessons/topics, then I think I'd like to do something like that on my turn, if that suits people. If people would rather keep it strictly Christian, that's okay with me, too. Not trying to upset any theological applecarts with this suggestion.

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in, too!

Yanno, I really think I needed something just like this, thanks for coming up with the idea!

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I might find this quite intriguing...
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, my frst business trip left me so stressed at the end of the day I couldn't sleep. However, there happened to be in the bedside stand a Bible!

The interesting thing about this Bible was that it had been well-used by many people ahead of me. Underlined, notated, bent pages. Different handwriting, diferent thoughts, left by different people - it was fascinating and I did feel comforted!

However, it appears that unless I am in church or on the road I never look at a Bible, so this could be just the right ticket to motivation!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

I find sharing the different translations to be really interesting. But again, one that is online would be good. We know LDS.org provides a KJV.
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up with the NIV, but all I have at present is a KJV. However, for online bibles, BibleGateway.com provides several different versions that can be browsed and searched.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just going to link that exact site [Big Grin]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Plain Jane
Member # 6142

- posted      Profile for Plain Jane   Email Plain Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
If there would be room for a newbie, I'd be very interested in this...
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

*bump*

Hey come on, let's not forget this thread, it was a great idea [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.